Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Very good reading. Much appreciated.
Bob
Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM

For those interested there are some 22 matches this year in Southern Alberta that are going out to 300M+.

These are PRS or NRL22 style matches.

One of the matches is at the Taber range and run by the Canadian Rimfire Precision Series (CRPS) and the other is at the Med Hat Range and is run by the Southern Alberta Precision Rifle League (SAPRL).
Old 03-13-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
For those interested there are some 22 matches this year in Southern Alberta that are going out to 300M+.

These are PRS or NRL22 style matches.

One of the matches is at the Taber range and run by the Canadian Rimfire Precision Series (CRPS) and the other is at the Med Hat Range and is run by the Southern Alberta Precision Rifle League (SAPRL).
Those look interesting, would I need a bi-pod or can I shoot off of a rest? I am specifically asking about the prone position.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Have an old Stevens .22 had not shot in a long time. Semi autos. Believe at some point it was called a gill gun. Decided to get it out, bought a cheap scope and went to the range. Got to the point I could put 10 shots into the 2” ring at 50 yards. Tried to stretch it to 100 and could not get one on the paper. No doubt it is shooting low. Was getting cold so I packed up. Any advice?How many clicks on the scope. Part of the solution would be me , but how about ammo, rifle, scope. Any advice. Thanks
Bob

Get closer......
Old 03-13-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Those look interesting, would I need a bi-pod or can I shoot off of a rest? I am specifically asking about the prone position.
I would recommend a bipod but we did have a shooter do quite well using a large bag as a front rest at matches last year.

These matches are quite dynamic - imagine 3 gun of the precision rifle world - so a bipod can come in handy in a few different ways.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Years ago I went down to the local hunting store and I bought 1 box of every rim fire ammo they had on the shelf.
Took my trusty old model 600 Cooey to the range set up a bunch of targets and started shooting at 25, 50, 75, 100yds. Most ammo did OK out to 50 yards or so then the groups would start to open up...Some did OK out to 75 yards but most hyper velocity rounds really started to come unglued at that range. And only 2 or 3 would hold in that 1.5 inch range at 100 yards.(10 shot groups)

I run this test on ALL my rim fire rifles now but I only fire at 100 yards and have found that there are only a few brands of rim fire ammo that seem to reliably work at 100. NONE of it is the expensive "target" ammo and any hyper ammo fails miserably in my tests. Most ammo that seems to work at that range is the 1200-1350fps range and my best results are with CCI mini mag Hp or cheap Winchester bulk "Target" ammo in the black box but it is a semi solid bullet and not for the gopher fields

Hope it helps.
P.S. all my rifles (12) in these tests are bolt guns
A couple years ago, I ran a test on a few of my .22s. Each seemed to prefer a different round. My Savage BTVSS shot the best and for the most part it did its best with the cheapest stuff. Among the cheap stuff Remington Cyclones and Walmart Winchester Dyna Points grouped the best. Of the more expensive stuff that groupd well were CCI mini mags. The Remington Golden Bullets shot the worst in all my rifles.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:04 PM

I’ve bought some different brands. I will try those,and use some of the advice given over the next week or two. Thanks
Bob
Old 03-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Default I've done it at 200 paces, Savage 64L

Savage 64L (same as a 64, only lefty), Nikon BDC scope and regular ammo, hollow point CCI. Was shooting at a gopher-size piece of steel. Kind of satisfying to hear that steel ring after a shot.

The trick seems to be doing some figuring on what bullet drop ring to use as a sight, then kind of lobbing the shell in there. It's kind of like artillery LOL, only much smaller shell. As for shooting position, the 150 and 200 pace shots were standing, with the rifle braced on a tree to steady it up. Takes the bullet a while to get there.

What got me going on this was talking to some guys in BC who said they shoot 300 yards with regular .22s, as practice for varminting. That got me set to trying it myself, and it is kind of fun. Good news for gophering is that the gophers never hear the bullet, jush a little whish, Then you drop that bullet in on 'em, and whack! Good times. For me.

Wind of course has to be taken into account - it will drift the shot. Just need to adjust your windage. And heck, the shots are cheap!