Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Default Zombie Max ?

Just been on the Hornady website and come across Zombie Max shotshells,12ga 00 buck, I cant get my head around the packaging,it looks like a wind up,tacky and stupid at least,even the blurb is dire.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM

OMG that's funny!

Maybe it is just a Halloween prank?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM

I bet you it will sell better than other ammo though...

Not that I plan on spending money on some, but it might be neat to hold onto a box of it, like a collector edition.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
OMG that's funny!

Maybe it is just a Halloween prank?
Brilliant marketing is what they are. Two words: Zombie Apocalypse. Seems that there is too much disposable income floating around.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Leupold are advertising a "Zombie" scope as well.

I plan on calling my bud at Hornady and seeing how embarresed he is about it.....
Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Sweet that they're doing 12 gauge as well. I saw a thread on CGN about the .223/5.56 Zombie ammo. I meant to order some already to be honest, but I quickly forgot about it when I saw something else that was shiny.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM

I just checked out their website and the advertisement video.

The words unrealistic, over-hyped and un-necessary come to mind.

So i should probably get a box of 12 gauge shells if they have them at the WSS. Too funny.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
The words unrealistic, over-hyped and un-necessary come to mind.
What would make you say that it's unrealistic......From the Hornady website:

Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!

Tapping into Generation X is a great marketing gimmick if you ask me. It got us talking and me looking.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Brilliant marketing is what they are. Two words: Zombie Apocalypse. Seems that there is too much disposable income floating around.

ARG
Bwahaha! I was expecting that link to point to something on CGN: not the CDC!

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Marketing? Most certainly. Tapping into the youth market as the coolest ammunition manufacturer? Done. Will they be repeat customers for their traditional ammunition, quite likely. Will they profit if the customers aren't repeat buyers? Yes.

I's really not much different than John Wayne or Teddy Roosevelt commemorative ammunition; its just based on fictional critters instead.

Hey; was John Wayne or Teddy Roosevelt ammo actually supposed to be used for hunting John Wayne or Teddy Roosevelt instead of just collecting ammunition
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM

looking forward to the new "wooden stake sabo rounds" to help control the ever rising vampire population!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM

I saw the promo video a few days ago. It screams "gun owners are teenage video game players with dangerous weapons, dont take them seriously, this is the stuff they dream about"

Its lame, its an insult to serious gun owners, even the tactical guys must hate it.

As responsible gun ownership moves futher into the realm of cultural and social conflicts and politics this is the last thing I want people thinking I am into. Its bad gun PR at its finest. Its not soft air or paintball...

Am I over reacting?

Last edited by kayaker; 10-24-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:45 PM

id love to own a box of shells just to have them . too funny. if they only run them once it could be a cool collector piece a few years down.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I saw the promo video a few days ago. It screams "gun owners are teenage video game players with dangerous weapons, dont take them seriously, this is the stuff they dream about"

Its lame, its an insult to serious gun owners, even the tactical guys must hate it.

As responsible gun ownership moves futher into the realm of cultural and social conflicts and politics this is the last thing I want people thinking I am into. Its bad gun PR at its finest. Its not soft air or paintball...

Am I over reacting?
I was in a gunstore the other day while some "Combat Wombats" were there. they can't wait to get some. I've sent a "you have to be kidding" email to a gentleman I talk to quite often at Hornady. I'm waiting for his reply.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 AM

If it's quality ammunition in the box does it matter what they put on the box? ...just a thought, what day is next Monday?

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 10-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Pretty interesting looking package.....
Damn I might buy some just for the box.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Ackley Abe,
When you get a reply to your e-mail can you post it,i'm really interested in what they have to say.
I wonder if this type of packaging will become the norm for all ammo?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM

That would be good.

My stance remains- selling ammunition dressed up as a novelty gimmick one would find in a dollar store around Halloween is a step in the wrong direction.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 PM

This could possibly be the funniest thing I have ever seen as it relates to the firearms industry.

But hey, it's about time the tinfoil-hat crowd were pandered to. Shoot, I'll buy some just for its collectable value!

Waaay funny....
Old 10-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Am I over reacting?
Personally I don't think anything that a firearm or ammunition company could possibly do short of closing up shop would please the 'anti' crowd; so who cares what the illogical fear mongers think anyways? Marketing whats essentially 'gag' ammunition may seem an unprofessional approach to some, but consider this: would you rather people who own firearms have a sense of humor, or none at all?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Personally I don't think anything that a firearm or ammunition company could possibly do short of closing up shop would please the 'anti' crowd; so who cares what the illogical fear mongers think anyways? Marketing whats essentially 'gag' ammunition may seem an unprofessional approach to some, but consider this: would you rather people who own firearms have a sense of humor, or none at all?
Bingo!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Am I over reacting?
Yes!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:16 AM

I've had a little infestation around here. Maybe this is just what I need.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERSPLAT View Post
Ackley Abe,
When you get a reply to your e-mail can you post it,i'm really interested in what they have to say.
I wonder if this type of packaging will become the norm for all ammo?
I think he will be evasive. He does work for Hornady so I'm sure he will not want to say anything negative...I'm on hold for him right now........

Apparently there is a new "sporting group" that they are responding to. There largest response to the announcement was from .......CANADA....

A Canadian distributor has placed a "huge" order and were one of the first to jump on the band wagon.

Although it has to be a marketing thing, I'm sure that the quality will be as good as all Hornady products have been in the past.

Some of the ammo is of the "critical mass" description, which makes me wonder if it will even make it to Canada.

Also BRIAN: I'm sorry but I lost your email to me...I was going to respond but darned if I can find it .

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 10-26-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I personally dont mind and within the shooting community its fine with me to take the **** a little. However I would be myopic to not see the ever increasing pressure on shooters and hunters. I dont think we need to cower in apology for what we do, quite the contrary, but I dont think this helps. Just my opinion, FWIW.

We are quick to blame the anti's but when members of our community act poorly in the hunting field (look at he almost daily reports just on here about bad behaviour) or we come across as a bunch of zombie dreaming mall ninjas we need to own up to a bit of mea culpa...

Its not my attention to step on anyones toes with my comments, but we will reap what we sow.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Looks like Leupold is on the zombie hunt too:

http://www.p-d-ent.com/

Quote:
Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 Canadian
"Zombie Edition"

VX-II FEATURES CUSTOM CDS DIAL WITH ZOMBIE MARKINGS. 1/4MOA ADJUSTMENT DIALS AND DUPLEX RETICLE.
(they update their website weekly so pic may be gone soon)

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me