Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 04:37 AM

Default Sturgeon question

I don't want specific info on where to fish for sturgeon, I'm more interested in how people generally rig up for sturgeon on the NSR around Edmonton. I'm used to targeting sturgeon that are 7'+. But I'm curious how you guys get after them. I'm used to using 6/0 siwash on 125# Dacron leader with an 8-10" whole herring. Sliding 12-16oz cannon ball on 65# braid mainline.

1. How do you set up your rig?
2. What are some common baits used?
3. What depth of water?

I can understand not wanting to put info out for the whole world to see. PM me if you'd like. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Sturgeon info

http://http://www.outdoorsmenforum.c...ad.php?t=58004
The rig is posted in this trend, I my self use 40 pound braid for my main line, a 3-5oz pyramid weight, 2/0-4/0 octopus hook with bait loop knot and a 30 pound mono leader. Night crawlers for bait and anywhere east of the city seems best just need to find the deeper sturgeon holes.
There's a couple guys on the forum "pdfish" and "canadianbadass" that would be good people to talk to about sturgeon as well. Hope this helps!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 AM

Default Link

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=58004
Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 AM

Default Link on my post

So I got my members a little mixed up it was "surgeonhound" that helped me out... My mistake. Here's the post of mine from a while back.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=220039
Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteelhead View Post
I don't want specific info on where to fish for sturgeon, I'm more interested in how people generally rig up for sturgeon on the NSR around Edmonton. I'm used to targeting sturgeon that are 7'+. But I'm curious how you guys get after them. I'm used to using 6/0 siwash on 125# Dacron leader with an 8-10" whole herring. Sliding 12-16oz cannon ball on 65# braid mainline.

1. How do you set up your rig?
2. What are some common baits used?
3. What depth of water?

I can understand not wanting to put info out for the whole world to see. PM me if you'd like. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Well you definitely don't have to go quite as beefy as that for the sturgeon we get here, though with the dinos I always prefer to go a little extra beefy just so I can get them in and released quickly.

My sturgeon rods are 8.5-9' long, medium-heavy power, fast action, both with Abu C3 reels loaded with 50lb PowerPro.

For my rigging I'll either use a sliding type rig like the ones posted in the other threads already mentioned, or sometimes kind of a bastardized drop shot rig. For hooks I use anywhere from a size 2 to 3/0 depending on how they're biting. It seems as though circle hooks are the way to go, though finding them locally is a pain and I usually end up with Gamakatsu octopus or circle octopus hooks, depending on what I can find. Weight can be anywhere from 2-8oz...basically just whatever you need to hold bottom in the current. Avoid pickerel rigs like the plague.

Bait is typically dew worms or frozen minnows...both work but at times they do seem to show a preference one way or the other.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Well you definitely don't have to go quite as beefy as that for the sturgeon we get here, though with the dinos I always prefer to go a little extra beefy just so I can get them in and released quickly.

My sturgeon rods are 8.5-9' long, medium-heavy power, fast action, both with Abu C3 reels loaded with 50lb PowerPro.

For my rigging I'll either use a sliding type rig like the ones posted in the other threads already mentioned, or sometimes kind of a bastardized drop shot rig. For hooks I use anywhere from a size 2 to 3/0 depending on how they're biting. It seems as though circle hooks are the way to go, though finding them locally is a pain and I usually end up with Gamakatsu octopus or circle octopus hooks, depending on what I can find. Weight can be anywhere from 2-8oz...basically just whatever you need to hold bottom in the current. Avoid pickerel rigs like the plague.

Bait is typically dew worms or frozen minnows...both work but at times they do seem to show a preference one way or the other.

^^^^ this is great info right here.
I have been using the Berkley glowstick but have now switched to Heavy-Extra Heavy Steelhead rods. They are designed for fishing similar techniques to how we target sturgeon and offer a more sensitive tip for bite detection. Ive caught all my sturgeon this year on parker minnows, although nightcrawlers work just as well IMO. Tight lines!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Years ago I tried to use a c3 reel for sturgeon. Worked fine with the little guys, but the oversize ones just walk right through the drag washers. So I switched over to my Torium T3 on a fast action tiger stick 20-50 lb. looks like I will need to lighten up my gear a bit. Lol. Thanks for the info. Does the bite pick back up in the next couple months?