Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 01:09 PM

all you are legally required to take is the breasts. A guy I know who is an outfitter was told just that. And I am absolutely floored that someone thinks you need the wings on all your breasts in the freezer once you are home. Someone needs to learn how to read and comprehend what they read.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
It's illegal to not take them. Its edible meat. Dont forget u need a wing on all birds in your freezer as well. A lot of guys dont know that as well
ROFLMAO, yeah, you may want to have a little read on the regs before making up your own laws. once the bird is home, no need for any wings.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Then I would like some F&W officer to visit Ongaro's lodge and look in the reduction bin there because his processor only removes a part of the breast. She makes one swipe with a fillet knife, takes off about 1/2 of the breast and tosses the rest. Never mind the legs.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
We’re fortunate in montana in that it is plainly written in our regs that if it is the size of a teal or smaller you only are required to keep the breast meat. Larger than a teal including geese you have to keep breast and thighs. Makes it a bit easier to interpret/understand.
This makes sense...riffies etc I stand on the wing and pull the legs...only keep the breast....those weee wings and legs are not worth it....guess I will take them home to feed the cats and I will eat the breasts.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This^^^^^

If any of you hunters want to share a few goose legs, I'd be willing to take them off of your hands.

BW
I’m interested in this too.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:11 AM

I don't know the answer but I don't like the wording in the regs either. I take the breasts, thighs/legs and heart from geese. Ducks and grouse I usually just take the breast.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
Then I would like some F&W officer to visit Ongaro's lodge and look in the reduction bin there because his processor only removes a part of the breast. She makes one swipe with a fillet knife, takes off about 1/2 of the breast and tosses the rest. Never mind the legs.
How in the world would you know that? Ongaro giving private tours of his operations now?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
It is, but the question asked is certainly a pertinent one, as many people, if they are honest, only keep breasts. It's better to know things for certain than to deal in hypotheses.
Curious...Did you ever get an answer from F&W?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You make the giant assumption that I didn't call my field office a few times only to get a voice message. In fact, I just tried two offices again and got voice messages.

My hope was to get a response from people who have asked that question, as it is a common one, specifically to an officer, or know of someone who may have ended up on the wrong side of the rule.
Ask 5 different officers and you’ll get 5 different answers!!
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM

Default What about big game then?

So I could leave the neck , rib and hawk meat on a deer carcass and throw it away without repercussions.? Its all edible but a pain in the neck to clean all
The gristle and silver skin out of the meat.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Ask 5 different officers and you’ll get 5 different answers!!
This is my experience with them.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Curious...Did you ever get an answer from F&W?
All I can ever get is voicemail.

Have had a few PMs. Seems like a discretionary call by the officer. I just cut out a bunch of legs this morning. We had a nice hunt

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 01:18 PM

tikka 250, I know about Ongaro's by watching his TV show on Wild TV channel. Every once in a while they film in the processing shed and you see what they do in there. Also, common sense, he has one person named Barb cleaning the birds. When the snows are in there will be two(2) parties of hunters going out and between snows, ducks and dark geese they will shoot 200+ birds per party. How do you think one person processes 400+ birds/ day for a 2 1/2 day booked hunt?
Old 10-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Default Birds

Quote:
tikka 250, I know about Ongaro's by watching his TV show on Wild TV channel. Every once in a while they film in the processing shed and you see what they do in there. Also, common sense, he has one person named Barb cleaning the birds. When the snows are in there will be two(2) parties of hunters going out and between snows, ducks and dark geese they will shoot 200+ birds per party. How do you think one person processes 400+ birds/ day for a 2 1/2 day booked hunt?
Yes I heard about the American hunters complaining,if they didnt get 100 birds a day--wow.Because I am from another era,and an ex market hunter.I have shot 150 seabirds in a day.And can never remember thowing away any part,this took many hours,and was hard "work".The hearts and livers,put aside.Yes we did it for money,not realizeing there was an end to it.Todays hunters do it for "sport"not wanting the inconvience,of legs etc.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
In my way of thinking it’s quite simple. Hire some more help. Wait a minute, that’s a foolish way of thinking. It would cut into the bottom line.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:52 PM

Default Brreasts-legs ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This makes sense...riffies etc I stand on the wing and pull the legs...only keep the breast....those weee wings and legs are not worth it....guess I will take them home to feed the cats and I will eat the breasts.
When I a was young I travelled the wilderness alone with my dogs camping for days.Someone asked why always with the dogs--I replyed it was to guarantee a food supply.My very old grandmother,In the background,asked for you or the dogs-----
Old 10-24-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
When the birds are cleaned they still need a wing attached for transportation so I would guess they aren't really cutting the breasts off to begin with
Old 10-24-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthunter View Post
When the birds are cleaned they still need a wing attached for transportation so I would guess they aren't really cutting the breasts off to begin with
If you watch the show, the Americans heading to the airport don't have any coolers. They just come up here to shoot. I THINK Ongaro cleans the little bit he does off the birds: a) to avoid being shut down and b) to charge the hunters the bird cleaning fee.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:17 AM

There's a big thing with FW on what is right on just keeping the breast's,there is no law requiring you to keep the legs in the migratory bird act.

Lots of CO's aren't happy about this and spoke with top cheese in Manitoba and he said they would like to see the legs and such taken home, but no law in the act.

Myself I keep the whole bird and I find it a waste to leave any part of any bird or animal that is eatable and let it go to waste, being lazy is all it is to me.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
There's a big thing with FW on what is right on just keeping the breast's,there is no law requiring you to keep the legs in the migratory bird act.

Lots of CO's aren't happy about this and spoke with top cheese in Manitoba and he said they would like to see the legs and such taken home, but no law in the act.

Myself I keep the whole bird and I find it a waste to leave any part of any bird or animal that is eatable and let it go to waste, being lazy is all it is to me.

Spelled out in Manitoba.

The following from the 2019 Manitoba Hunting Regulations:

No person who kills, injures, or is in possession of a game
bird, shall abandon, waste or spoil, or allow to be abandoned,
wasted or spoiled, any edible portion of the bird. The
department’s guideline is that all edible portions must be used
for human consumption. The edible portions for grouse are the
breasts and for wild turkey and migratory game birds edible
portions are breasts and legs.

Last edited by Benelli1; 10-24-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:37 PM

Just cooked up a bunch of legs from our weekend hunt last night. Would never throw them away. Thanks sns2 for the new recipe!
Old 10-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Default Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
Spelled out in Manitoba.

The following from the 2019 Manitoba Hunting Regulations:

No person who kills, injures, or is in possession of a game
bird, shall abandon, waste or spoil, or allow to be abandoned,
wasted or spoiled, any edible portion of the bird. The
department’s guideline is that all edible portions must be used
for human consumption. The edible portions for grouse are the
breasts and for wild turkey and migratory game birds edible
portions are breasts and legs.
Spelled out the way it should be--Clear as a bell.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:17 PM

Talk about timing. In this months issue in Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine