Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM

Default .270, 7mm, or 300wm

Is there much of a difference between these two calibres? I'm upgrading my rifle next year. I'm currently shooting a .308, I would like to buy either a .270, a 7mm or a 300 win mag! Which one of these calibres is the best all around for deer and moose and bears? I am looking for something I'm going to still enjoy shooting, and not flinch with! I'm pretty keen on the 7mm but kinda scared I'm not going to enjoy shooting it! My .308 shoots nice, but I'm looking for something flatter shooting on the long range! Anyways, thanks for your help!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Is there much of a difference between these two calibres? I'm upgrading my rifle next year. I'm currently shooting a .308, I would like to buy either a .270, a 7mm or a 300 win mag! Which one of these calibres is the best all around for deer and moose and bears? I am looking for something I'm going to still enjoy shooting, and not flinch with! I'm pretty keen on the 7mm but kinda scared I'm not going to enjoy shooting it! My .308 shoots nice, but I'm looking for something flatter shooting on the long range! Anyways, thanks for your help!
If you are concerned about 7mm recoil, the 300WM would definitely not be a good choice. Sounds to me like you have a pretty good all-round cartridge right now. I'm a fan of the 7mm but it may not be right for you.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:56 PM

7mm is certainly a good choice. A more important consideration is which rifle for you. The lighter you go, the more you will feel the recoil, all other things being equal. If you get a T3, I suggest a limbsaver recoil pad before you even mount your scope. The 270 isn't that far off the 7mm if you are really worried about recoil, but the 7mm will certainly produce more energy when called to.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:23 PM

Default I like the 7mm myself

But thats just me. Ballistics are good recoil is a little heavy but tolerable. I shoot a tikka t3 chambered in 7mm and like shooting it. What rifle are you looking at getting it in? like the guys said if you are worried about recoil look at a heavier rifle.

Brad
Old 10-30-2011, 03:00 PM

If you like the 7mm but would enjoy less recoil, consider the 7mm-08.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:34 PM

The 270win and 7mmRM have a similar trajectory with the 7mmRM having the edge because is has more energy (this is also a non magnum being comparted to a magnum), although this is not apples to apples.

Of the three you had listed the 300win would have the most thump, on both ends but then again we are comparing 180gr. to 150gr. in the 7mmRM (both middle of the row wieghts availible for either)

If recoil is a concern, go with a 270win, solid ballistics and capable of doing all that you've asked for with various loadings between 130gr. and 150gr. commerically. Although at range is can be somewhat lacking given the lackluster selection of component bullets with higher BC's, although this is changing.

As the for the magnums, you'll need to do some soul searching, each offers something that you've asked for (7mmRM, Ballistics; 300win, thump). Perhaps you would also like to consider the 270wsm, this would even the playing field considerably for the the .277 lol.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 PM

I'm looking at buying a browning x-bolt composite stalker! I was told today at wholesale that the 7mm are hard to come by right now due to production issues! I don't know if I'm quite ready for a .300 but I know if I shoot it enough that I'll get used to it! A 7mm just seems like what I want! But then again I guess we will see how my .308 performs this season! Maybe I'll just buy another .308 in a nicer rifle!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

I love my .270 but Its not going to be much of an upgrade from a .308, I dont know that your realy going to notice your moose dying any faster with the 7mm on a regular basis either. The .300 mag is probably going to give you a noticeable increase in performance but your going to feel that in your shoulder too. If your just looking for a flatter trajectory the .270 win or WSM will give you that, a 25-06 will give you that as well with alot less recoil.

Sounds like you've got all the gun your going to need for a few seasons. I know its always tempting to add to the gun collection but for the newer hunter its usualy better to invest in a pack frame, good sleeping bag, canoe etc.... this is where your hunting experience realy improves. I'f your already well covered in the quality gear department then by all means go nuts with the guns.

Last edited by Cal; 10-30-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Default Muzzle Brake

My 15yr old son shoots my 300 wby hand loads, at the range off a bench, in the field off bi-pods, it has a brake. My brother has a 300 wby with magna porting, factory loads that I won't shoot, both have 26" pipes and I am 5'10' and 230, 3 shoots huge bruise. Yes, a brake is louder, but man is it worth the cost and noise. Put a brake on anyone you want and forget the recoil.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM

I like the 7mm Rem Mag as an all around cartridge.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:26 PM

I have to admit, I was shy of my 300 Win mag at first, got it sighted in with a lead sled. Called in 2 coyotes and shot them, then an elk. Now its my favorite.I find my 300 jumps more than it has a kick, it is sharp but it could be worse. Shooting prone with a bipod is very tolerable.The only problem Im fidning, as with most calibres the choices of ammo is unbelivable.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 PM

Go with the 300 win mag. Just don't get a light rifle, and also get some sort of impact-absorber on the crown of your comb so you can get a good cheek weld without looking and feeling like you just came out of a bar fight. Brakes/BOSS is good too, nothing to be afraid of. The escape jets muzzle fitting can also be switched out with a weighted solid-wall piece if you need it.

I'm looking in the other direction, mostly on principle to fill in a gap between small varmint/practise calibers on one side, and 300+ on the other side. Celebratory principle that is, when the big announcement comes that the registry has been deep-sixed.

Was thinking of a nice tight-grouping light hunter like this:
http://www.bordenrifles.com/Tactical/index.html
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM

Give the .270wsm a try........it is by far my favorite cartridge for big gäme....and I've owned all that you've mentioned. I might be in camrose ränge Sunday.......if you'd like to try mine. have to be in camrose to help the mother in law on this coming sunday
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM

The thing about the range is that its just that... a range. If has fixed and known distances and the 308win is a capable and proven performer on it, shooting at range has more to deal with an understanding of physics and how it effects the flight path of your bullet, compensate for drop and windage and bang... your now shooting your rifle at extended ranges.

you really want a get good at shooting long distances, accurize a 22lr and try to hit bullsyes at 200 yards...

Learn the rifle you have now, it is more than suitable for what you have asked for.

There is a huge draw to getting something bigger, and if that is really the route you want to go then many (including myself) have commented... however the second time reading this thread, I really think that you'd be better served learning to use what you have now well than buying something else.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bo View Post
The thing about the range is that its just that... a range. If has fixed and known distances and the 308win is a capable and proven performer on it, shooting at range has more to deal with an understanding of physics and how it effects the flight path of your bullet, compensate for drop and windage and bang... your now shooting your rifle at extended ranges.

you really want a get good at shooting long distances, accurize a 22lr and try to hit bullsyes at 200 yards...
Truthfully, ballistic reticle and turret scopes have put most common big game cartridges on a more equal playing field in that regard.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 PM

Hey Sheep,

It's not that I am saying the 308win is better or worse than other cartridges, what I am alluding too is that its not so much the caliber as much as its the shooter. There is always a draw to "new" but is this really the best option at the moment for this gent?

Why not invest the $700-$800 into optics or upgrades or accurizing for the rifle he has now, one that would be better suited to longer range shots?

Many of the ballistic reticle and turret scopes merely translate the physic's into lamest terms... Easily understood and utilized in shorter periods of time. Shooting is as simple or as complicated as you would like it to be.

lol, i keep editing this stupid post as I reread. Sheep I hear where you're coming from now... sorry, I am still recovering from a party hearty halloween weekend.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 PM

My hunting rifle for the past 6 years has ben a 270 Win, its an Ruger MKII. I really like it have killed lots of deer with it and my moose last year. It loves just about anything 130gr. I am passing this gun on to my son.

Recently had a 7mmRem Mag given to me. Its an older Savage 110. The stock fits me great and I put a Limbsaver on it. I dont find the recoil from the 7mm much more than the 270 I think because it fits me better and it is a heavier gun, but there is more. I cant wait to find some ammo it likes and take it hunting next fall!

If I were you I'd go with the 7mm, you already have the 308 not much different than the 270 so maybe its time to gun up a bit. Find one that fits you and go for it!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:29 PM

The 7mm is actually a smaller calibre than the 308.Just that its comparing a magnum cal to a standard cal.I love the 7 in fact I have 2 of them,that said ,the 308 is capable of taking big game at longer distances than most people can accuratly shoot.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm looking at upgrading my rifle and not planning on buying a new one for at least 5 years till my oldest is ready to go hunting as well! I am more than happy with the .308 but feel like if I'm going to drop 8-900 on a new rifle that I might as well get one of the calibres I'm interested in! I like the .308 yes! But I want something a bit more powerful! Thanks for all your info, it's been helpful!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at upgrading my rifle and not planning on buying a new one for at least 5 years till my oldest is ready to go hunting as well! I am more than happy with the .308 but feel like if I'm going to drop 8-900 on a new rifle that I might as well get one of the calibres I'm interested in! I like the .308 yes! But I want something a bit more powerful! Thanks for all your info, it's been helpful!
That said a 7mm will do nicely and I"m sure the recoil will not be an issue for you.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:59 PM

I may just stick with this .308 after all! Thinking I may still end up with a new rifle though! Either that or do a trigger job on my current rifle and wait a few years to get the new rifle! I could also upgrade my optics as was previously stated! Thanks for all your info guys!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I'm looking at buying a browning x-bolt composite stalker! I was told today at wholesale that the 7mm are hard to come by right now due to production issues! I don't know if I'm quite ready for a .300 but I know if I shoot it enough that I'll get used to it! A 7mm just seems like what I want! But then again I guess we will see how my .308 performs this season! Maybe I'll just buy another .308 in a nicer rifle!
Browning is one of the few manufacturers that chamber in 280. It answers all the questions you ask and a few you have not thought of yet.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Browning is one of the few manufacturers that chamber in 280. It answers all the questions you ask and a few you have not thought of yet.
Except availability! I don't reload, and other than wholesale and cabelas, I have not seen many shells available! Every back country hunting store sells .308 shells! Every place I have ever been to stocks them!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:51 AM

There are 4 stores in Red Deer and all stock 280. I shoot a 250 and a 7x57 and it is not an issue. I have a couple boxes of each in the safe and I am sure I will stumble upon some more long before I need them.