Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
I believe most of those jet boats are just a dog and pony show..... come late leave early..... make some noise for the first 5-10 miles from the boat lauch. Have a fire, smoke a big fatty, have a few beer, hit the elk bugle and goes ohm.
Lol
The serious guys are up the side waterways in real skinny boats camping and hikung into the hiddy holes. Most will be looking for elk some moose. Bet you will be the only one hunting mulies there.
Anyways I hear you on the tracks, the best way to hunt in my experience, make things happen. Good luck, time well spent.
Yeah, most of the jet boaters I've run into are more or less like truck hunters, easy to avoid and they have very little impact on my hunt... However, it goes back to the experience one wants to have, I prefer hunting animals that are going about their regular business rather than dodging boat traffic.

I realise that I might be walking a fine line between having snow and not getting frozen in, but I have a couple back up plans I can fall back on if I think its going to be a problem.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Could be 25C+ at the end of October too.

Sometimes the boreal forest is so quiet it is deafening too. I don't like that.
I know exactly what you are talking about, personally I enjoy it, and listening to it fade out in the evening is just beautiful IMO.

Since we are talking about "deafening silence" here, when it sounds less deafening would you say the silence got louder or quieter, or simply less deafening? A question best pondered on the river over a pot of tea I say.

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-20-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about, personally I enjoy it, and listening to it fade out in the evening is just beautiful IMO.

Since we are talking about "deafening silence" here, when it sounds less deafening would you say the silence got louder or quieter, or simply less deafening? A question best pondered on the river over a pot of tea I say.
All I know is sometimes it is welcoming just to hear the snow fall in the forest.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
All I know is sometimes it is welcoming just to hear the snow fall in the forest.
True that.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:50 AM

I think it's a great idea. When I got my mule in the badlands last year, it was at the bottom, close to the river, hell of a pack out. If your there for a while, you will get vantage, figure out movements. Plus I am sure there will be pressure up top, pushing critters your way. The hike up and down is very time consuming, we talked of camping out in the future...just to be able to get sited quitter and in a better location in the mornings. I think things will go great and you will have an awesome time. No to tech, nice to hear. Put more sport/challenge into it.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
I think it's a great idea. When I got my mule in the badlands last year, it was at the bottom, close to the river, hell of a pack out. If your there for a while, you will get vantage, figure out movements. Plus I am sure there will be pressure up top, pushing critters your way. The hike up and down is very time consuming, we talked of camping out in the future...just to be able to get sited quitter and in a better location in the mornings. I think things will go great and you will have an awesome time. No to tech, nice to hear. Put more sport/challenge into it.
One of the nice things about hunting from the river, the recovery is nearly always downhill and all you have to do is get to the nearest bank, then come collect it with the canoe. You are for sure right, going the other way can often get pretty intense.

On a side note, the river you hunted along (assuming the Red deer?), was it frozen by November?