Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Dual purpose motorcycles

Good day all, I have been watching you tube and have an interest in these types of bikes and would like your opinions and recommendations pros and cons etc...
The last time I rode was well over 30 years ago so basically no experience by todays standards. How do I go about choosing the right bike and size of motor? I won't be riding a whole bunch and surely not aggressive . Just want to have a bit of fun with it.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2018, 10:14 AM

I have a KLR 650 and it serves me well riding around the Crowsnest Pass. The dual purpose bikes are usually a bit better on gravel/ trails or pavement. Figure out what you want it for most of the time. I would look at the BMW dual purpose line up as I think they are very well made. My KLR is fun and much less money but it is not in the same league of the BMW's.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:51 AM

Had BMW, Yamaha, Honda and a rigged out Husky. BMW is truly expensive on maintenance 3-4 thou a year and it is a heavy Turd. Reliable, performed okay but REALLY heavy. The first time you have to get one out of a mudhole, drop it riding by yourself or have to push it any distance you will hate the bike from there on. Best performer of the three on pavement.

Husky was by far the best performer off road, good on road. Very light weight for power output it had due to being a 2 stroke. Like most European stuff it needed more in the way of regular maintenance than the Japanese bikes do. Biggest problem is if you breakdown, lots luck finding parts. You will usually need to ship the parts in and you can be a week waiting for stuff to come from Canada or the States depending on where you are. Gave the Husky to my brother because he never rides it outside the immediate area he lives in.

The Honda for all round was my favourite.. Very little maintenance needed, middle of the weight range, good off and on road, easily could improve either with just tire switch, Reliable as a Stone Axe. There are Honda Dealers everywhere you go.

I rode, and rode with, the Kawasaki 650XLRs. They were my second choice to the Honda back then, and second only becasue they weren't near as good off road for high speed rough trails. The Honda has 4 inches more travel front and back, way better ground clearance by 4 or 5 inches, better gas mileage, which makes a big dif if it is a long ways to the next station. The Honda also had a smaller tank so overall distance you could cover was about the same but not having that extra 25 LBs of liquid up high helped the handling a lot. The Honda, had a 2" taller seat height. When I was younger the Honda was great but being older, short in the legs, 32" inseam, and not nearly as aggressive on bad trails, I would probably go Kawasaki now.

Whatever you do, stay away from Ducati, Husky etc unless you are okay with doing a bunch more maintenance. Personally I am past the stage of enjoying wrenching on bikes. The Japanese ones, you ride them, change the oil sometimes, adjust the valves at 30,000 and you are pretty much done. Never had to replace a part on the 2 Hondas or the Yamaha I had before them.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:23 AM

I want something that requires the least amount of maintenance and the lowest cost of ownership. I won’t be doing long trips but more interested in a bid of off road trails etc. I know that this is not a quad, but can these bikes go where a quad would?
Old 07-22-2018, 11:32 AM

Default Suzuki

I was looking and was thinking the best deal was a suzuki 650.
5 year warranty as well.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:35 AM

Yamaha builds a street and trail bike ,great for in the city diving and one of the best hunting bikes i have ever owned as it has wide tires and you can even travel in the morning with your rifle legally where Atv must park theirs until noon.
I have even added a rear tire chain for snowy days.
YamahaTW 200
Old 07-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I want something that requires the least amount of maintenance and the lowest cost of ownership. I won’t be doing long trips but more interested in a bid of off road trails etc. I know that this is not a quad, but can these bikes go where a quad would?
If you want predominantly off road able but still street legal so you aren't ATV restricted,then JR is right, stick to the 250 class of bikes. You can ride one 100 -300 miles on pavement no problem and they will get you around the back trails and gravel roads with way less effort and sweat then the big 650s designed to be competent at freeway speeds. Honda and Yamaha would be my two top choices, followed by Suzuki and Kawasaki. Low cost, low maintenance, cheap to run and insure because they are under 500 CC, Single cylinder and carb so easy to work on.

If you can ride them, they will go any place a quad will, including through swamp and beaver dams, go more narrow places because of the two wheels, and do all of it a whole bunch faster than a quad. What they don't do as good as a quad is pack big load or pull out game bigger than deer unless quartered and put in a pack.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:00 PM

Default Honda

I inquired about a Honda 650 in the spring and was told they are no longer available in Canada.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:47 PM

My pick...

https://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/di...t/crf250_rally
Old 07-22-2018, 12:50 PM

I ride a TW200 as well. I call it my bush scooter and every year I look forward to putting around lease roads and finding cut lines to walk for grouse with it. Probably one of my favorite things to do.

That said, if you're interested in genuine dual sport purposes, the TW200 falls very short for on Highway or serious off-road use. I think max speed with my weight on it would be maybe 95km/hr. I've taken the TW into the mountains, rode through washed rock, big roots, mud holes etc. but it doesn't really perform great there. Quad is king for that stuff by far, maybe other bikes can handle it better as the TW200 suspension isn't that competent. Performs good in the City though, gets a lot of looks, especially if the rifle scabbard is on haha. TW is great for what it is though.

If I wanted the option of a Highway bike, City bike and bush bike combo, more versatile, I'd probably be looking at a Yamaha WR250.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:52 PM

Image-1.jpg
Old 07-22-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
"..Honda and Yamaha would be my two top choices, followed by Suzuki and Kawasaki.."
Why is the DR650 lower on the totem pole in your opinion?
Seems so solid of a bike to me.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:13 PM

We've had 250 class and 450 class dp bikes.

Smaller bikes are more maneuverable and better suited to off road. The larger bike doesn't perform as well for me on the tighter trails but is much more competent on the highway.

I live about an hour from McLean creek. If I ride from my house and then do a few hours ripping the main trails, the ride home is pretty tiring. The 250 is a wr and it struggles to maintain highway speed on hills. It would not be my choice if I had to travel any kind of distance on a highway. Not an issue with the 450. Still, the 450 is not what I'd call a comfortable ride. That's the sacrifice with a dp bike.

For us, the best use is to throw them in the back of the truck and head to the foothills. You can travel the backroads legally and still have a fairly competent ride when you head off on a trail.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Banned

If u are doing steep hills don’t buy a 650 there way way to heavy u can’t hold them back
Go with a Beta or Ktm the rest just don’t cut it
Old 07-22-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Why is the DR650 lower on the totem pole in your opinion?
Seems so solid of a bike to me.
The DR is a great bike, one thing I like about it now is it is still old teck, with air cooling, carb and no fancy computerised stuff, so REALLY easy to work on and fix. Over the 20 years they have been building the same Bike, it has also had every bug worked out of it so they are really reliable. My problem with it was real aggressive riding it didn't have the suspension/balance for it like the Honda, though it was better off road than the Yamaha or Kawasaki. At my age now that would not be any kind of a problem.

Another huge advantage is it is almost 100 LBs lighter than some of the other bikes in its category and has a lower seat height which is adjustable, unlike the other ones. The only thing that hurts it is Suzuki dealers are not as easy to find if you do need a part in some remote piece of the world. For around here and if you are doing more off road than on and want a bike you can easily fix and maintain yourself, bullet proof, light to handle, actually weighs less than a lot of 250s, like the Honda CRF250 Dual Sport, then the Suzuki would probably jump into first place for me, tied with the Honda.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:20 PM

I like my KLR 650. I can do anything from 7 hour days on pavement to fairly intense trails on that bike. Its easy to fix, parts are cheap, the stock bike needs very few upgrades and its ready to take on anything (IMO most bikes need more work before they are ready for any serious use, and the upgrades are more expensive)

Here's a video I made a few years back of me flogging mine in the sand dunes, just to give an idea of how hard you can actually push a KLR with a bit of practice and determination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfgx9QaYTY

I can load my bike up with camping gear, ride it from Slave Lake to Brule or Cadomin, then strip the baggage, set up camp, and put in a few days of spirited offroading. There are very few other bikes I consider so well suited to this spectrum of use, and any that come close cost significantly more to purchase, modify, and maintain.

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-22-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:54 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned KTM. They make the best dual sport in the 500 EXC-F. The old KLR 650 are good solid machines, but slow and heavy, especially compared to the KTM which will destroy it on the street or trail. If you're not into that much power than the KTM 250 is a good choice as well. Just realize that a 250 of any make pretty much tops out at 65 to 70 MPH, so not great for long highway trips. I've been a lifelong Honda guy and they still make decent dual sports, but they shifted their focus out of the dirt some time back as the sales fell off and they have concentrated on street bikes.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned KTM. They make the best dual sport in the 500 EXC-F. The old KLR 650 are good solid machines, but slow and heavy, especially compared to the KTM which will destroy it on the street or trail. If you're not into that much power than the KTM 250 is a good choice as well. Just realize that a 250 of any make pretty much tops out at 65 to 70 MPH, so not great for long highway trips. I've been a lifelong Honda guy and they still make decent dual sports, but they shifted their focus out of the dirt some time back as the sales fell off and they have concentrated on street bikes.
As of next season Honda is introducing a 450 cc dual sport, the demand has been there for years and the only Japanese maker to have an offering was Suzuki, with the dated dr400. IMO there is going to be a bunch of exciting new bikes hitting the market in the next few years. Probably a WR450 and the DR getting a facelift. I'll probably just stick with my KLR, but this is good news to anyone who wanted a trail machine with more power than the 250's, minus the KTM maintenance.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
As of next season Honda is introducing a 450 cc dual sport, the demand has been there for years and the only Japanese maker to have an offering was Suzuki, with the dated dr400. IMO there is going to be a bunch of exciting new bikes hitting the market in the next few years. Probably a WR450 and the DR getting a facelift. I'll probably just stick with my KLR, but this is good news to anyone who wanted a trail machine with more power than the 250's, minus the KTM maintenance.
I've read the reviews on the new Honda. About 18 less horsepower than the KTM and a pretty intense maintenance schedule. Like I said, I am a lifelong Honda fan and own two (an old CT70 and a CR500AF) as well as a generator. Their commitment to the dirt just isn't there for me anymore.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:58 PM

If not going on too many long highway trips a Suzuki drz400 might do the trick..its old tech but reliable. I think they are only a 5 speed so probably not the best on a lengthly higheay ride.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:05 PM

Thanks guys, Interesting and fun topic for sure. I don't know if I will be doing long trips, mostly put on the back of the truck and go.Being 57 and 250pounds do you think the 200 and 250's would be to small to haul my but around ? My 2002 Honda 350 Fourtrax does pretty well except on the real steep and long hills.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 PM

I currently ride a KLR 650. I did an 11000 KM trip through the Arctic with it last year. I have also ridden a DRZ 400 and a KLX 250 recently. We just bought a brand new 2013 DR 200 from my wife from the local dealer. The DRZ has the power but the seat is like riding a 2X4 on edge. If riding around town I like the wife's 200 best. I love my KLR but the reason I got it over the DR650 was that I would be doing some big road miles on it on trips like to Inuvic. For a big guy I would suggest the DR650. Put a true DOT approved 60/40 knobby on it and you're good to go. The KTM would be another great bike but it will cost you at least twice what a DR would, and if you watch Kijiji etc a used DR650 will be 3-4 times cheaper than a KTM. Out on the trails the DR is air cooled so if you dump it no Rad to puncture! I'm over 50 as well so I'm in the same boat!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
I was looking and was thinking the best deal was a suzuki 650.
5 year warranty as well.
Yup X2 for the DR650
Old 07-22-2018, 08:44 PM

I have a Kawasaki klx250 that gets me around pretty easily. Not overly heavy and not crazy enough to get me into too much trouble. Has no problem doing65moh on the highway although with the idiot tourists near me it’s a scary proposition for sure. Dont nobody know how to stay in the lane any more.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

If u dump those 650 over on a side hill good luck getting it back up by yourself
Old 07-22-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panko View Post
If u dump those 650 over on a side hill good luck getting it back up by yourself
No, not really
(@11mins into vid, very steep hill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vBMKLwZyQs
Old 07-22-2018, 11:06 PM

I had an old Suzuki DR350 that I sold a couple of years ago. They are older bikes (very similar to the DR650, including a 6 speed transmission) but they can be had very inexpensively, and are very simple. The kick start is a bear though on those bikes, the newer ones had electric start. If you don't need to do a lot of highway driving it's good cheap fun. They will do highway speeds with the right sprockets, but mine liked to cruise at about 90km/hr.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Thanks guys, Interesting and fun topic for sure. I don't know if I will be doing long trips, mostly put on the back of the truck and go.Being 57 and 250pounds do you think the 200 and 250's would be to small to haul my but around ? My 2002 Honda 350 Fourtrax does pretty well except on the real steep and long hills.
I have a Kawasaki 250 dual, I'm 50, 240 lbs, 6ft2 and it gets me everywhere I want to go.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Had BMW, Yamaha, Honda and a rigged out Husky. BMW is truly expensive on maintenance 3-4 thou a year and it is a heavy Turd. Reliable, performed okay but REALLY heavy. The first time you have to get one out of a mudhole, drop it riding by yourself or have to push it any distance you will hate the bike from there on. Best performer of the three on pavement.

Whatever you do, stay away from Ducati, Husky etc unless you are okay with doing a bunch more maintenance. Personally I am past the stage of enjoying wrenching on bikes. The Japanese ones, you ride them, change the oil sometimes, adjust the valves at 30,000 and you are pretty much done. Never had to replace a part on the 2 Hondas or the Yamaha I had before them.

Hope this helps.
BMW's don't cost nearly that much for maintenance. It'll be a $1000 every 10000km for a service, about $2000 every 20000km for a big service (check valve clearance, some inspection on the bigger shaft drive bikes).
Dead reliable, and very similar to anything else in its size class.
Ridiculously high re-sale value, and the best warranty around.

I will second staying away from Ducati's though. They're for Cafe racing and looking pretty.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Get a Ural. Selectable two wherl drive. Side car for extra person or gear or animal. Good cargo capacity, optional winch mount and skid plates. Go anywhere do anything kinda vehicle. Don’t have to worty about falling over on your side. Oh and you can still get the machine gun mount for it if your so inclined.
Tullfan