Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 05:45 PM

Default Bolt and barrel fluting - where to go?

Any suggestions for gunsmiths capable of bolt and barrel fluting? Coralanes is pretty expensive and US options like Kampfeld have issues shipping gun parts back to Canada. There must be someone reputable out there that can spiral flute a bolt for a reasonable price. $250 for a bolt does not seem reasonable to me.

Last edited by sstamand; 01-08-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Blue chip precision has a CNC lathe and can do barrels with real precision and take small cuts at a time to ensure a lack of heat and stress
Old 01-08-2019, 06:07 PM

I heard corlanes is out sourcing their bolt fluting to a shop in Edmonton? Not sure if that’s true...
Old 01-08-2019, 06:34 PM

I had a guy that used to do my bolt fluting for me. He switched shops and is not currently doing them. Insite arms is doing bolt fluting.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-08-2019, 09:54 PM

I tried to contact insite but they didn’t respond to the email. I saw a post on gunnutz saying they were doing bolts. Hopefully they respond.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 PM

Insite does really nice work. Im sure they will get back to you.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 PM

Contacted Blue chip via Facebook. I’ll let you know if they reply and prices for those interested.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM

There was a fella on this sight doing this sort of stuff. A quick search and his handle is: scotty454
Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 PM

Karl at K&S in Edmonton did mine

He was doing them for Corlanes at one time. Not sure if that is still the case
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstamand View Post
Contacted Blue chip via Facebook. I’ll let you know if they reply and prices for those interested.
Do they have an email for the folks that don’t have Facebook? Where are they located, does anyone know?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
I tried to contact insite but they didn’t respond to the email. I saw a post on gunnutz saying they were doing bolts. Hopefully they respond.
I emailed them about some other stuff and they haven’t responded
My guess is they are on vacation
Old 01-09-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I heard corlanes is out sourcing their bolt fluting to a shop in Edmonton? Not sure if that’s true...
Yes CORLANES farms it out and they’ll lie to you about it to. I sent a gun up to them quoted a few months turn around 10 months later the barrel was ok the bolt handle looked horrible never did get the bolt sleeve finished. They tried stringing me along but some angry emails and phone calls every day the manager finally admitted they lost my bolt parts. Only send someone you hate there I should have called the better business bureau and lodged a complaint with the prof I had on them.
WORST GUN SHOP EVER!!!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Yes CORLANES farms it out and they’ll lie to you about it to. I sent a gun up to them quoted a few months turn around 10 months later the barrel was ok the bolt handle looked horrible never did get the bolt sleeve finished. They tried stringing me along but some angry emails and phone calls every day the manager finally admitted they lost my bolt parts. Only send someone you hate there I should have called the better business bureau and lodged a complaint with the prof I had on them.
WORST GUN SHOP EVER!!!
Too bad about your experience, I've had them do many projects for me and always been pleased.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 AM

KSArms is only doing work on their own builds.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Blue Chip will do a good job for you, if that's where you take it.
I can't comment on pricing or turn around time but I have personally seen his work and it's top notch.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Blue Chip Precision responded and the prices are quite reasonable in my opinion. $140 for spiral bolt, $140 straight barrel, $175 spiral barrel, plus discount if multiple work performed. Located in Edmonton.

Anyone else have experience using them? Picks of his work on Facebook look great but limited.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 AM

actually he is south west of Leduc but easy to find just get a timeline from him
Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Cost

CNC milling machines are not cheap, nor is Carbide tooling,
Machinist salaries, commercial leases etc.
When we live in a time where the dealerships are charging $200 an hr, to put eyes on your truck, $250 for non production custom machining seems fair to me.

Quote:
Any suggestions for gunsmiths capable of bolt and barrel fluting? Coralanes is pretty expensive and US options like Kampfeld have issues shipping gun parts back to Canada. There must be someone reputable out there that can spiral flute a bolt for a reasonable price. $250 for a bolt does not seem reasonable to me.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:04 AM

KSarms does this work
I know insite does as well but they are pretty backed up

I have my bushings for my dies done by Blue Chip and also seen some of his previous work in person, it looks quite good. He is also super friendly to talk to
Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=Full Curl Earl;3908026]CNC milling machines are not cheap, nor is Carbide tooling,
When we live in a time where the dealerships are charging $200 an hr, to put eyes on your truck, $250 for non production custom machining seems fair to me.

You must drive a Porsche cause I don’t pay anywhere near $200 an hour for a service mechanic. Anyways to each their own. Blue chip is almost half, I could literally ship it to the US both ways and still have money left over. CNC’s are expensive but do the work in a fraction of the time and after the first one, it’s plug and play.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
actually he is south west of Leduc but easy to find just get a timeline from him
Ahh yes. His message says just south of Edmonton...I quickly read it as south Edmonton.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
Blue Chip will do a good job for you, if that's where you take it.
I can't comment on pricing or turn around time but I have personally seen his work and it's top notch.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
WORST GUN SHOP EVER!!!
Probably why the are more expensive then other options...have to add their 30%?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 PM

how much weight is going to be pulled out when you flute the barrel and bolt?
I've got an 8lb barrel I'd like to get a little lighter.... perhaps proof research is the way to go.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
how much weight is going to be pulled out when you flute the barrel and bolt?
I've got an 8lb barrel I'd like to get a little lighter.... perhaps proof research is the way to go.
I was going to flute my Sendero profile barrel and KS arms estimated it'd save about 1/2# and not much on the bolt.

Proof research or Hardy carbon barrels if you want to really take weight down.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:40 AM

Default Each there own?

[QUOTE=sstamand;3908085]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
CNC milling machines are not cheap, nor is Carbide tooling,

Yeah, 2014 Dodge ram Targa. In the North $200 is considered a cheaper rate. If ya keep nickel and dimeing Gunsmith shops there will be none. Have you noticed every shop is now a semi-production shop and has signature rifles they pump out? It will soon be impossible to have a spring made or a chamber cleaned up.
Ah well, save some dough here at home and ship it to the US then.

You must drive a Porsche cause I don’t pay anywhere near $200 an hour for a service mechanic. Anyways to each their own. Blue chip is almost half, I could literally ship it to the US both ways and still have money left over. CNC’s are expensive but do the work in a fraction of the time and after the first one, it’s plug and play.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Harley Green at Insite arms in Lloydminster

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Default Bolt flute and barrel thread/ muzzle brake

I just had KS arms flute my bolt, thread my barrel for a muzzle break and made me a break for my 7mm tikka superlite. Price was around 260-280 for the break and machine work. I am pleased with the work.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Deal

Thats is an unbeatable deal if the work is good!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
WORST GUN SHOP EVER!!!
Agreed x2. Did a bolt. Milled through it to the interior bore. Nice hole. No qc. Never again.