Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2016, 06:43 AM

Default Your Rod Collection

I just got myself a new rod (mainly for pike fishing) and I was going through a number of older rods that I have accumulated over time and started to wonder what everyone uses for specific species or situations.

I know a number of people have rod and reels set for for almost every situation am just curious what they are.

Not really looking for brand info, more just weight and action ... and what you use that setup for.

My new rod is a medium/heavy with a fast action. 6'10"

Older rod is a medium with fast action. 6'6"

I have an older ugly which just says medium which I assume means medium weight medium action 7'

And a much older 6' rod with no obvious markings for weight and action but if I were to guess I would say it was light / medium with medium action.

Also curious about the catagory labels that new rods come with. Jigging, worm and jig, walleye, I wonder how much difference there can really be in the blank and what would make it so much better than the next rod with the same weight / action ratings.

Looking forward to the conversation
Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM

I have had lots of rods over the years but always seem to break them. The only one that has stuck around for years now is my ugly stick. It medium 8' and it's to long for a boat if more then one guy. I just bought a 6'-6" medium heavy whoopin stick. So far for the price it's a nice rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
I have had lots of rods over the years but always seem to break them. The only one that has stuck around for years now is my ugly stick. It medium 8' and it's to long for a boat if more then one guy. I just bought a 6'-6" medium heavy whoopin stick. So far for the price it's a nice rod.

I have never broken a rod ... don't know if that means I am lucky or unlucky.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:15 AM

I alway break the tip off. The expensive graphite rods are the worst for it. For years I never had a boat that stored the rods so I always thought that was the issue (and was the main factor). Now with my boat that holds the rods it still happens lol.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:50 AM

I have at least 6 spinning rods 8'6" to 10'6" for salmon, another 6 halibut rods, some shorter spinners for local stuff and kayak fishing, maybe 5 fly rods which rarely see use and some 10'-11' surf rods. I broke 2 rods last year that shattered the upper section under load. One Berkeley and one Daiwa.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 AM

I use Fenwick for walleye Medium-Fast 6'6".
Not as fussy with my downrigger trolling rods. Usually a big ole catfish rod like an ugly stick or whatever is on sale with a good, stiff spine for Shuswap trouting.
When i do pick up a fly rod its a #6 9' for all around fishing. Not huge into fly fishing but it works in most situations.
I'd say I'm the fussiest with my walleye rig. Need to feel those subtle takes...
Old 06-21-2016, 03:05 PM

I like a medium action 6'6" with a cork handle, I find that the cork gives a better feel for the subtle bites.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 AM

Good topic. I have mainly 4 spinning rod/reel/line setup that I use

1. 7 ft MH fast graphite rod with 20 lb braid: I use this setup in situations that require sinsetivity and hook setting such as single hook lures (spinnerbaits, jigs, worms, frogs, and Johnson Silver minnow spoons) I also use it for pickerel rigs

2. 7 ft MH fast composite rod with 8 lb mono: I use this setup for situations where sensitivity and hook setting are not required such as all treble hook lures (spinners, swimbaits, crankbaits, and spoons with treble hooks)

3. 7 ft H fiberglass rod with 30 lb braid for casting heavy lures (more than 1 ounce)

4. 6.6 ft M graphite rod with 15 lb braid: most sensitive setup I have for trout fishing mostly with flies (although a spinning setup but I fly fish with it successfully)

I am also thinking to adding another graphite rod with fluorocarbon line specifically for worms
Old 06-22-2016, 03:02 AM

1. St. Croix Triumph 7' Medium, Fast Action spinning rod with 10lb power pro for jigging

2. Abu Garcia Veritas 7' Medium Heavy, Fast Action bait casting rod with 30lb power pro for trolling and casting bigger stuff

3. Some Rapala 8' Heavy, Fast Action spinning rod with 80lb power pro for sturgeon

Girlfriend has a 6' 6" Berkely Lightning Medium Light, Soft action with 8lb power pro for jigging
Old 06-22-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newscientist View Post
Good topic. I have mainly 4 spinning rod/reel/line setup that I use

1. 7 ft MH fast graphite rod with 20 lb braid: I use this setup in situations that require sinsetivity and hook setting such as single hook lures (spinnerbaits, jigs, worms, frogs, and Johnson Silver minnow spoons) I also use it for pickerel rigs

2. 7 ft MH fast composite rod with 8 lb mono: I use this setup for situations where sensitivity and hook setting are not required such as all treble hook lures (spinners, swimbaits, crankbaits, and spoons with treble hooks)

3. 7 ft H fiberglass rod with 30 lb braid for casting heavy lures (more than 1 ounce)

4. 6.6 ft M graphite rod with 15 lb braid: most sensitive setup I have for trout fishing mostly with flies (although a spinning setup but I fly fish with it successfully)

I am also thinking to adding another graphite rod with fluorocarbon line specifically for worms
Curious about your line choice with the 7 ft graphite and composite rod.

Well mainly the mono
Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 PM

Was reading a thread and someone was talking about one piece rods. I am curious what benefits a one piece rod has?
Old 06-22-2016, 06:22 PM

I have a few diff ones. A Shimano with Shimano reel. Ugly stik GX2 with Shimano reel and a one piece Ugly Stik Tiger with C4 round reel. Shimano rod I use for slip bobbing and jigging. Ugly stik is for lures or short distance pik rigs. The Tiger I use for river fishing. I can say I find the one piece has much more sensitivity than my 2 piece rods. Can also throw a lot more weight with a one piece.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Was reading a thread and someone was talking about one piece rods. I am curious what benefits a one piece rod has?
way more feel
Old 06-22-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Curious about your line choice with the 7 ft graphite and composite rod.

Well mainly the mono
I found Sufix 832 braid to be the best for me,but it looses the color considerably thought. My 30 lb braid is Power Pro. It is stiffer and holder the color well, but less smooth and rends to give me wend knots. Not sure if it is the line of the reel or may be the rod that causes that, but in general I like Sufix better
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
way more feel
x2.

I have several rods, but my go to is a 5'6 medium heavy fast action and the feel on it is crazy compared to most 2 piece rods I have. That said I do have a good two piece cabela brand rod that isn't far off.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
way more feel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post

x2.
I have several rods, but my go to is a 5'6 medium heavy fast action and the feel on it is crazy compared to most 2 piece rods I have. That said I do have a good two piece cabela brand rod that isn't far off.
Maybe 15 years ago, not now.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM

Pretty much all my rods are light or ultra light 5:6 or 6ft with 6lb mostly. One has 8 for bull trout, mostly to help steer the 5-6lbers away from rocks and logs.
I mostly fish trout in small lakes and rivers so works for me, been walleye fishing lots last couple years and no problem with this set up, lots o fun on light tackle just have your drag set decent.
Wife caught a 10lb coho in Alaska on the ocean with a UL Berkeley lightning rod, that one took a while though.
Have a cheaper med 6:6 for pickerel rig fishing too.
I don't see what the deal is with the ugly sticks, they are too flimsy in the tip end and the rest is too stiff IMO.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:18 PM

Got too many rods and could outfit 3 or 4 people. Longest one is a 14ft surf casting spinning rod I used when I was in Texas. Love my Ugly Sticks for bouncing and trolling cranks for Walleye.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:06 PM

The rod/reels I use are

7' 4 piece Fenwick Eagle travel rod, ML power with MF action paired with a 1000 series Shimano Sahara loaded with 10 lb pp and 8 lb fluoro leader. I use this for trout, perch, goldeye and other small species and at times for walleye.

7' 3 piece Fenwick Methods travel rod that has 5 pieces so can be either M or MH power and MF or F action. I usually use it as a MH power MF action but sometimes use the M power. This rod usually has a Shimano Sahara 2500 series reels with 20 lb PP with 25 lb fluoro leader(sometimes 8 lb leader). This rod gets used mainly for walleye but occasionally lakers, pike, goldeye and very rarely trout.

7' 1" 1 piece St. Croix Rage, MH F rod paired with Shimano Curado 200g6 with 40 lb pp and titanium leader. This is my pike rod, also use it with a 25 lb leader as my kayak downrigging rod for lakers.

7' 1 piece Shimano TDR MH MF paired with an Abu Garcia 5600 Ambassadeur SX with 50 lb pp. I use this as my poor mans sturgeon combo and have also used it for jigging heavier lures for lakers and trolling big lures for pike.

6' 6" 2 piece Shimano something(can't remember and too lazy to look lol) M F rod paired with Shimano Curado 200g7 with 20 lb pp and 8 or 25 lb fluoro leader. I sometimes use this for walleye or trout. Could use it for pike too. It doesn't get used all that often really.

6' 1 piece Shimano Clarus M F rod for jigging walleye, it has a Shimano Sahara 2500 reel with 10 lb pp and 8 lb fluoro. This only gets used if I go on a walleye specific trip otherwise I usually just take the travel rod as it is a better spare if I have issues with my pike rod.

I have a few other old rods and reels as well but they have all been replaced with the above and never get used anymore. The first 3 combos see about 90% of my spinning/casting use.

As for advantages of a one piece, one distinct advantage is not coming apart... It happens rarely but so annoying when you cast and half your rod goes flying lol. I don't think they have that much more sensitivity, if you can't notice a bite on a two piece you probably aren't paying attention. 1 piece are annoying for transportation.

I prefer longer length rods like 7 to 7'6. I also like a bit softer action and actually wish my pike rod was MF. With a 7+ ft rod and MF type action it is much easier to fight fish then say using a 6'6 M or MH F action rod like so many people use. You only really need extra sensitivity for jigging and say drop shot for walleye in which case something like a ML F or even XF rod might be advantageous but I don't do enough fishing like that to make the purchase warranted, heck I almost never use my current jigging rod as it is.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Banned

Default Rod collection

Got a bunch, stopped buying ugly sticks years ago but still have 3 left (unfortunately).

I have the ugly sticks for the kids, once they learn to fish I upgrade them.

I have different rods for different fishing, from jigging for perch to still fishing for white sturgeon. I have 10'6 mooching rods for trolling for chinook and 5'6" rods for jigging for perch, and that doesn't include my fly rods.

When I was younger it was 6'6" or 7' medium or medium heavy to do it all in my local Alberta lakes. As I got older and could afford better setups I bought more specialized equipment.

Nowadays I run some nice stuff that is by all means not needed but nice to have. I use different equipment for different species. Trout in the stream I use a #4 or #5 fly rod, Finess fishing like for trout in the ponds, jigging for perch or walleye I use a one piece 6'6" light medium rod with a 2500 size spinning reel spooled with 8lb test with 10-15lbs of max drag. Casting or trolling spoons or smaller cranks for pike and walleye I use a one piece 7' medium rod with a 3000 Shimano size spinning reels spooled with 10 and 15lb test with 15-20lb of max drag. Trolling a downrigger for lakers or trolling bigger crank baits or large spoons for pike I use either a one piece 7' medium heavy spinning rod with a 5000 size Shimano reel or a one piece 7'6" medium heavy Rod and a bait casting reel spooled with 20lb test that have 20-25lbs of drag. If I'm still fishing the NSR I use a two piece 8'6" rod with a level wind reel spooled with 40lb test that has 24lbs of max drag. If I'm on the west coast trolling for salmon I have a two piece 10'6" mooching rod with a nice mooching reel to match, spooled with 25lb test, and if I decide to jig for halibut or rock fish I have a one piece 8' heavy Rod with a level wind reel spooled with 80lb test.

These are my main rods, and if I'm at a lake that has bass I usually use my perch/walleye rod, if I'm trolling a lake that has Kokanee or trout I'll use my baitcaster or medium size spinning setups.

I've been fishing for a few decades, grew up on the banks of the athabasca river, guided at a fly in lodge in northern Saskatchewan, fished the lakes of Alberta and the backwoods of BC and a bunch of trips to the west coast (and my favorite of all time sturgeon fishing on the Fraser), I've collected a bunch of gear, but aside from fishing the west coast or sturgeon on the Fraser, I'd say the most versatile Rod, the "one Rod for everything", I'd say a medium, fast action Rod, with a 3000 size Shimano reel and 15lb test line will do the job for most every species of fresh water fish from BC to Manitoba.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:03 PM

I got way to many rods. Current favorites

Abu veritas with a revo premier bait caster. This is my second one as I broke the first 2 weeks ago which is typical for me in light weight sensitive rods. Love this rod super light weight perfect action. One of my all time favorites.

New style ugly stick elite cork handle with a Abu line counter reel. Awesome soft tip transitioning into stiff backbone. Use this for down rigging and jigging for lakers. Best of all the ugly sticks made to date.