Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 07:58 PM

The 30-06 and the 165 grain bullet are a made for each other, you could do better but you could also do much worse!
Old 11-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Thats a beauty boy!

You know I probably will give in to this one.I'll have money to spend when I sell the others.
PM me when you're ready....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-11-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I'm derailing my own thread now.
What do you recommend I look at as a first revolver?
A nice .22 LR single action like a Colt Frontier Scout, or a double action like the S&W Model 17 (K22) Target Master. Either of those should be your first, without question.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-11-2017, 08:09 PM

For my .30 cals I've always use 180 grain Corelocts. Plenty of bullet for moose and elk.

If you do get a new gun, I've always felt that the .270 win was a better all around cartridge than the .30-06 or the .308, having owned and used all 3 extensively.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:20 PM

If you want to use the x bullets for all around step the weights down. I've seen a few even in 300 win mag in 180 grain or 200 grain, and they are great on big game, but on deer they don't provide enough shock to knock them down as a standard style bullet. For this reason I stick to the 165 or 180 grain partition in the 30-06
Old 11-12-2017, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

30-06 and 165gr pills that cluster all in a nice 5 shot group at 100 yards.
Your gonna have some bench time building the pet load but once that is complete happy hunting for everything that walks the North American continent and then some...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I agree with the 165 gr Partitions as well...better choice over the 180
X 2 ....that's what I use....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 AM

Default X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
X3. I use a 7-08 loaded with 140 grain Partitions for everything too.
Best low recoil option that will work for everything. I have the same option in my gun safe as well!
Old 11-12-2017, 01:24 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up 30 Cal .308 165 gr GMX

If this little hornady pill grouped well it would be a good choice too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Smile

Quote:
so your saying 165's will work on moose and elk? providing good shot placement.
Absolutely

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
which bullets will allow me to use poor shot placement; just too much work to practice a little and buy ammo................

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
which bullets will allow me to use poor shot placement; just too much work to practice a little and buy ammo................
Butcher shop

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 11-12-2017, 09:51 PM

I see safeway, costco and super store in your future. Sell them all.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I am excited about going down to the one gun hunter. I found over the years of adding new rifles and calibers that my proficiency has gone down hill. Instead of being at one with my rifle, I am not great with any. In the old days I only had one and I never had issues as far as cheek weld, shouldering etc... it was all natural each time I shouldered the rifle.
X2 on this, at one point I had a bit of a collection going on. Then I realized the best rifle to hunt anything with, in any terrain, is the one you shoot the most.

That said I do keep two big game rifles around these days, one scoped and one with irons. On days where the precipitation is heavy, or the tree's are dropping buckets of snow on me I find it much more simple to just use the rifle with irons rather than digging snow out of my scope all day.

One last thing to mention, going to a .308 in a Tikka will get you a lighter rifle, if that's what you want. But I very much doubt that the Tikka will have less recoil than you're Ruger, despite the caliber drop. I had Remington 760's in .30-06 and a .308 at one point and I couldn't tell the difference in recoil, my wife's Savage Lady Hunter in .270 (light like a Tikka) kicks significantly harder than either of them, while my Ruger in .270 is a pleasure to shoot. Felt recoil depends on a lot more than just the cartridge.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-13-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 AM

I have 1 big game rifle, and it comes with me everywhere
It’s not very fur friendly but I know it inside n out.
I run at least 50 rounds a month through it (not durning hunting season)
I run 180s and that’s it. (Having a private range close to home really helps too)
I’m even sitting on half the parts for another custom, but don’t have any want for another rifle. Maybe one day I’ll get it built, but will probably make it a 223 something.

If 30/06 is your pick, I’d run 165 accubonds and call it good.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
X2 on this, at one point I had a bit of a collection going on. Then I realized the best rifle to hunt anything with, in any terrain, is the one you shoot the most.

One last thing to mention, going to a .308 in a Tikka will get you a lighter rifle, if that's what you want. But I very much doubt that the Tikka will have less recoil than you're Ruger, despite the caliber drop. I had Remington 760's in .30-06 and a .308 at one point and I couldn't tell the difference in recoil, my wife's Savage Lady Hunter in .270 (light like a Tikka) kicks significantly harder than either of them, while my Ruger in .270 is a pleasure to shoot. Felt recoil depends on a lot more than just the cartridge.
My 300wsm has almost no kick,
My old 270 or my old 7/08 kicked a lot harder
Fit n balance is top priority.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
My 300wsm has almost no kick,
My old 270 or my old 7/08 kicked a lot harder
Fit n balance is top priority.
And stock configuration too. My brother's Parker Hale .303 kicks a lot worse than mine does with the original buttstock. I had a Remington 760 in 30-06 from the 50's that kicked like the devil, I owned another that was made in the early 80's and it kicked far less.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 PM

I have half a dozen high powered rifles, but every year I only reach for one when it is time to hunt, a Browning BLR in 30 06 ... which I load with Remington Corelokt 150 gr bullets. Why ... because the Browning seems to shoot this ammunition best out to 300 yds in hunting situations ( or at least I shoot this rifle and ammunition best ...confidence is a key component in hunting scenario accuracy) Thus for hunting I am basically a one gun guy.

On the range the other guns come out, but I know I seldom miss a deer with the BLR .... so.....

I suggest that you find a gun that fits well, figure out which ammunition the gun likes (trial and error here as your gun may be different than someone else's in terms of preference), and then practise often to gain confidence.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I want to use my left hand 30-06 Ruger M77 MK11 as a do all one gun . It has a Leupold FX111 6x42 that I am considering sending in to Korth to be retro fitted with a CDS system. My question is what grain bullet do you think would be appropriate based on real life experience not paper specs. I was thinking of 180gr Barns TTSX. I want to be able to hunt bear, deer , elk and moose.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated on either the rifle, scope and bullet choices. I don't know why, but the other option that interests me would be to start over with a .308 in either Tikka or Browning for lower recoil. I do not want to go above 30-06 as I am recoil sensitive.

I will be selling off all my rifles and keeping only a .243,35Rem and the 06 or new .308

Thanks for your feedback.
this is exactly what I did two years ago. I now only hunt with my ruger Hawkeye 30-06 with a weaver k6 6x.

I'm using 165gr game kings and have taken everything from coyote to deer to moose (shot my first bull on friday).
Old 11-27-2017, 06:57 AM

180 gr. Barnes TSX
Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
150 gr TTSX is plenty for elk and moose. They are hard hitting and deep penetration Deer barely slow them down.

I second that motion, shot placement, shot placement.
Also know your ballistics.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:21 PM

If you like TTSXs, 165 or 168's would be a great bullet choice for the 30-06

Get some more velocity over the 180's.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:33 PM

I've only ever been 1 gun. Initially a 308. Now a 30-06. Another vote for the 165 grain being totally capable. Mine really likes Trophy Copper in 165 grain. If it liked 180's that's personally what I'd feed it. If it liked Core-Lokts or Partitions or Accubonds...that's what I'd feed it. I haven't hunted bear with it, but the thought of feeling under-gunned using it wouldn't really cross my mind.

For a bit of perspective. Most recently one of the land owners shot a good sized bull elk with a 25-06 at between 200 and 300 yards from a rest and anchored it where it stood. That's also their 1 gun. Everything from WT, Moose to Elk. Might be annoying already, and it's been said here 1000 times, but also agree with shot placement. In my experience a well placed 30 caliber in the boiler room and it's night-night.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 PM

The Oldtimer I harvest with punched a nice 4x5 Elk this year with his 308 winchester shooting 150gr'ers.

Just under 100 yards.

Over the last 39 years his 308 has filled his freezer year after year, he went on a North'n hunt for 2 years,,, so he bought a 30/06 back up rifle that I bought off him later on my return to the rifle sports.

He absolutely liked the 30/06, but he liked his 308 better since he fits it like a well worn glove.

I was suprized how many folks that showed up at the shooting range this year owned 1 rifle.
The was a good selection of folks with more than 1,,, and some had 5 to 7 beyond. LOL. I fit the beyond category at one time.

As I mentioned, my longest 1 time rifle was a 308, now the Ought-6 fills that nitch.
The BDC retrical is a optic system I can't depart from now.

The first 2 weeks of the beginning of harvest season was the craps,,, all my ranging was done on the highest power,,, so back to the range to do all my range points from muzzle to 600m using low 3X power only put me back into the game.

Texas Windage still, but the BDC retrical confirm my hold over now,,, at least to 400m's if that comes into play,,, most likely won't happen since the thick of the thick bush does not allow for shoots in the 40 to 100 foot range.

I know that the 1.7X power widest field of view scope will be mounted on top next season.
I absolute enjoy bush Harvesting since I've been at it for 15+ years due to archery.
I find its warm and cozy in the forests, no humans, set my own pace, and relax the day away.

Then after the season raps up, it's 2 clicks of the quick change mounts and I'm back into range mod.

So far so good on the shoulder, but if something changes in this area, then the next step is to reduce the charge and drop back to the 150's.
They still show promising results in the up close encounters of the furry kind.

Don
Old 11-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Your 30-06 is a good "single gun" candidate. If it shoots well, keep it. Can't recommend 165g over 180g, or vice versa. Either will do the job on the game you name. Choose the one with a stout bullet that shoots best out of your rifle. If it's a 165, use it. If it's a 180, use that.

Count me among those that wonder about the need for a CDS system on a fixed six power scope. I'd only look at it if I was shooting fairly long range and needed to adjust elevation. And if I was, I'd want something stronger than 6 power.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:51 PM

I managed to make it down to one woman but one gun? Seriously?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I'm derailing my own thread now.
What do you recommend I look at as a first revolver?
Ruger single six.
Get that first then go 45 colt if you find that you are getting a lot use out of a revolver.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:10 PM

I think the 7MM Mag is one of the most versatile cartridges.

The 162s-168s are incredibly efficient projectiles.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I use 165's in my .308 (Federal Fusion ammo to be exact) and in the last 10 years I've harvested two bull moose, three elk and more deer than you can shake a stick at with those bullets.

My grandma used to hunt with a .243 and she killed many moose. Grandma was a fine shot!

Any bullet will work providing your shot placement is good........accuracy is by far the most important thing!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

It’s been said on here many times, by guys that I trust their opinions and respect their opinions most people would benefit from manning up and cartridge down. I’m also starting to believe, in my very short time doing this stuff, that I would rather put more money in and shoot a very small selection of rifles and shotguns than a little bit of money in a lot of different rifles.

I will be going down to one shotgun, one rimfire, one target/varmint, and one big game. I want to learn each gun a lot more thouroughly than I have in the past. I’m already comfortable with my shotgun and rimfire. I have been using my target/varmint rifle as my main rifle this year (243 win), nothing fancy about it but it worked on a 270 yard shot and dropped a buck.