Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Gone Hunting

summer 1949. waterworks dock in Amherstburg Ont.
My uncle took me night fishing. I can still smell the summer night. It was hot and muggy. I was on a natural high at just the thought of fishing. My uncle had rigged a rod for me. It was about 4 feet long and steel. There were lots of steel rods back them. Level wind reel with black line on it, and a braided lanyard attached to the rod and around my wrist so I wouldn't drop the rod in the river.
We fished with worms, straight down off the dock. It didn't take long and something was pulling on my rod. I told my uncle i though I had a bite. He told me to be patient, we just started and a fish would come along. I told him the fish was here and he was trying to pull my rod into the river. He reached for my rod and started to yell to reel him in.

It was a catfish, about 14 inches long. I was hooked worse than the catfish. I ended up catching 2 more. and a very small rock bass. We let the bass go and ate the cats.

I remember it clearly, but I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. Even as a very young boy I was attracted to hunting and fishing so that outing was like a lottery win for me.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Don not remember much about the catch. I have been told that I was very very excited though. I do know that we were at Winagami on a family fishing day. I caught a few that day but this was the first one for me. Would have been around 1980 or so.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM

Default winefred lake

thought a bump could be in order here while I try to figure on ice fishing this coming weekend with all the snow..

Early 80's Dad and his welding buddies come up with a plan to Squat (as in take over government land) on an Island at the famous Winifred trouphy lake. I helped build the shck for 20 guys dismantle it and load it on a 3 ton to drive up in early December.

Sure enough we get there set the shack up and it becomes fish crazy 6-8 pound eyes like you've never seem them, 11-18 pound sharks. Stayed for about a week SKUNKED everybody and I mean everybody caught fish the cook who tied it to his lace, my brother who hated fishing, the empty javex bottle make shift tip ups, sleeping welders drunk welders hungover welders. Me the only fish crazy of the bunch SKUNKED.

Long story short I believe they ended up losing there cabin in the end but had many more trips up there in the winter don't think I ever went back.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM

Was a perch in Cypress hills, Don't remember anything about it except finding a bell, lol.

The catalyst that set me to live, breath, think, dream fish, was in Vermillion about 14 years ago, the dam let out a lot of water, but all the pike got stuck from below the dam 'till about 150 yards down stream, my dads buddy the CO at the time called him, we went. One day between my dad, brother, and I, we caught 450 pike, by lunch we were just using plain hooks /w litres they were biting so hard. Every pike had fresh scars from the fighting going on underwater.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Chain Lakes i was probably about 3 or 4 and it was trough the ice, been on a lake 3 quarters of my life probably, and just cant stop. Best pass time fishin' is, can never get enough of it
Old 01-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Can't recall but it was most likely a bluegill or shell cracker out of one of the ponds on my Aunts ranch in Eastern Colorado. The first one I do remember was a cutthroat out of a lake in Colorado that we camped on.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM

Default despite all the abuse on my brain I can still remember it!

1976 (6 years old)

mouth of the clearwater + athabasca river in Ft McMurray. A Jack about 25lbs.

wait a minute, it just seemed that big, was more like 2.5lbs! I will never forget that hot summer evening. I was hooked for life.

Awesome thread
Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM

The first fish I remember catching was actually two fish! I think I was in kindergarten at the time.

I was out with my dad on the Diplomat Mine Trout Pond, by Forestburg and the old Transalta plant out there where he used to work (Timeframe, 1991). We were ice fishing. He'd been trying to drill a hole with the auger, and it was not going well for him. Some kind soul with a gas powered auger came over and offered to help. This wonderful gentleman drilled a hole for me, and a hole for my dad.

We set up a pickerel rig with chartruese trout powerbait. (Dad swore they loved that colour). And I sat. And sat. And got a little bored, then sat some more. Suddenly, things were pulling on my line. When we brought the rig up there were two little 7 inch trout on the line. I was very excited.

The story ended in tragedy, though. We brought the fish home, and cleaned them. Several days later I asked my parents when we were going to eat my fishes. Dad confessed he'd eaten them both already, since there wasn't enough for everyone, (I have four siblings). I was crushed.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default Fishing

My first fish was a small perch in Dillberry Lake almost 50 years ago. Although I don't live around there any more I still go down to the area quite a bit and still fish it at least a couple of times a year.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiami View Post
The first fish I remember catching was actually two fish! I think I was in kindergarten at the time.

I was out with my dad on the Diplomat Mine Trout Pond, by Forestburg and the old Transalta plant out there where he used to work (Timeframe, 1991). We were ice fishing. He'd been trying to drill a hole with the auger, and it was not going well for him. Some kind soul with a gas powered auger came over and offered to help. This wonderful gentleman drilled a hole for me, and a hole for my dad.

We set up a pickerel rig with chartruese trout powerbait. (Dad swore they loved that colour). And I sat. And sat. And got a little bored, then sat some more. Suddenly, things were pulling on my line. When we brought the rig up there were two little 7 inch trout on the line. I was very excited.

The story ended in tragedy, though. We brought the fish home, and cleaned them. Several days later I asked my parents when we were going to eat my fishes. Dad confessed he'd eaten them both already, since there wasn't enough for everyone, (I have four siblings). I was crushed.
hahahahha now i know im really old......power bait when i was a kid was minature marshmellows

and a power auger was a really sharp spud and a ice strainer was a strainer stolen from the kitchen
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM

My first fish was a trout in a little pond back in newfoundland, I was to young to remember which one, but it was on a bambo pole with a bobber and worm.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 PM

dont remember my first but a lot of good times are remembered from chasing big gerrards, dollys and sturgeon. i owe a lot to my old man and it still brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. i hope i can show my son half the stuff i got to see.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Don not remember much about the catch. I have been told that I was very very excited though. I do know that we were at Winagami on a family fishing day. I caught a few that day but this was the first one for me. Would have been around 1980 or so.
I do remember the ol guys holding them like that, by the eyes.

I still think mine was a pike at lower mann lake probably 1980-81-82 maybe?

Wish that lake would come back some very good memories need more snowfalls like in edmonton this year to save that lake. Although next spring a guy should take the canoe out and have a look at the old cabin.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 PM

Some place in BC called Old MacDonald's Farm...... in a trout pond using a pole, bobber and a piece of dough that they give you....... is where I caught my first fish... a Rainbow Trout.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 PM

i know my parents still get a laugh when they tell my kids that when i started fishing i was so little that they used to tie my worms on the line with no hook as i liked to whip it around and they were afraid i was going to hook someone and they said i couldnt figure out why i was the only that couldnt catch a fish when i got a bite....but my firts real fishing trip when i got to use a real hook was when i was about 4 or 5 and fishing with a live smelt in muskoka lake in ontario (back when you could use them and we used to net them of our dock)i caught a 7 pound lake trout,dad still has that fish hanging on his wall and talks about it like it was yesterday....never does mention the 21 pound laker he caught that same day....that fish to me was a monster....one thing about live smelt from our lake...dont catch any fish....you get to eat the bait for dinner...yum yum....lol
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Some place in BC called Old MacDonald's Farm...... in a trout pond using a pole, bobber and a piece of dough that they give you....... is where I caught my first fish... a Rainbow Trout.
Wow... I fished there! I can't believe I remember this but that could've been one of the next five fish that I caught after the first. Old MacDonalds farm was a petting zoo with a small pond and dock that you could fish for trout with poles and dough balls. I can't remember where it was, Kelowna maybe?

I have not thought of that place in years, thanks for jogging my memory!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 AM

1960, Steel telescopic flyrod, braided catgut fly line and a Dung Fly, Small creek outside of Princeton B.C.......12" Rainbow
Now I have +$1000.00 rods and reels and still try to catch 12" Rainbows!