Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
WTHunter

Default Yukon Fishing

Heading to the Yukon camping with the family in July. Not taking a boat or canoe- but would be interested in fishing along the shore of some lakes or rivers up there. Any suggestions?
We will be heading up through Watson, towards Whitehorse, then by Kluane towards Chicken, Alaska, make the loop and back down to Skagway. Don't want to fish in Alaska, or Northern BC- just Yukon as we will spend the majority of our time there. Any suggestions that are easily acessiable by mini-van or foot? Also, if you have any suggestions, please tell me what kind of fish I'd be looking at in that place?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 PM
stiknfish

Hi WTHunter,There are many rivers you can fish along the Alaska highway.In between Watson Lake and whitehorse there are a couple of spots I am familiar with.The Rancheria river which is about 45 minutes from Watson lake has plenty of Grayling and Dolly Varden that are more than eager to bite a hook.Then about another 40 min down the road is Swift Riverlodge.(I used to work there)This river has plenty of grayling but you need to be aware of where you are fishing as it is right on the BC/yukon border.Anything downstream of the lodge is BC for about 40min.Then comes Morley River which also has plenty of Grayling and depending on when you are there there is also a Chinook salmon run on that river that spawn right near the campground in Morley.There is also Morley Lake which has both Pike and lake trout which I have caught both from shore and is easily accessable with a minivan.Basically you will be able to catch fish in any of the rivers you cross along the highway.i hope this helps and Grayling are more than willing to take a fly or if you spincast Panther Martins or small Mepps spinners will do the trick.Have fun and enjoy the trip it is unbelieveable country and fishing up there.

Daryl
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 PM
WTHunter

Thanks Daryl- that is very valuable info- I appreciated it. I'll fill you in when I return. Thanks again.