Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Default Your favourite setup for Pikes!

What is ur favourite setup for Pikes?

1. rod? what action type?
2. reel? what size?
3. spinner? spoon? crank? jig? bait?.... what size?

thanks guys.... =)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM

Quantum code, with an Abu black max spooled with 30 lb suffix 832. As for lures anything made by jackfish lures.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM

Size 30 Quantum KVD reel. Medium action Ugly stick 6'6". 20 pound power pro braid. The rapala clackin raps drive em crazy!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM

I just recently picked up a 8' Shimano heavy rod, and Pfleuger Supreme reel, spooled with 30lb suffix 832. Love it for chucking the biggest hooks I can find, mostly shallow cranks/stickbaits. Size 15 Rapalas and bigger, salt water stuff, big Salmos etc., and huge spoons. Lots of fun. Still catch little 1lbers on this huge stuff, pike are pigs!

I also always bring my 7' med action Rapala Magnum rod with a Shimano Spirex 2500 reel, spooled with 20lb suffix 832 for smaller lures and topwater.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 08-16-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 PM

big topwater baits when the hens are still in the shallow bays, post spawn, equals excitement for me.....
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 PM

Any rod I have, currently set up with a partially broken Berkley Lighting Stick, light-med action, love the sensitivity. 20 yr old Daiwa spin caster my gradfather bought me when I was 11 or 12. Rat-L-Trap blue and silver mirror finish with red belly.

Rod is sensitive enough to let me feel the rattle of the lure at 100 ft out trolling.

Early August managed an 11 Lb (35") and 13 lb (37") pike in 5 min of each other. 11 pounder took it while trolling, got him in the boat, before we got going again threw out a cast and had the 13 pounder eat it! Rod bent in half for both of them, no issues for the setup.

Call it a fish story but it is true and I got the pics with my son to prove it just like many though, having trouble posting. 13 lb is only 3-5" short of being as long as my 3 1/2 yr old son is tall. Made for pretty cool for pics with my son beside them!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Stally, I completely agree with you about the clackin raps! I put one on my Niece's line and she caught a pike instantly after having no luck for half an hour with a spoon. They make the rod vibrate when reeling in too. Weird feeling

Bloopbloop, pardon my lack of knowledge of fishing but would you use a big spoon/lure only on a big lake or is that for smaller lakes too?

I caught a weird fish tonight. It had to have been a pike but it didn't fight at all. It was almost like it purposely stayed as still as possible to make me work harder. It was like reeling in a rock. I have limited fishing experience and have only caught fish that fought hard....rolling around, going under the boat, etc, but this one was different. It took forever to get it beside the boat and then I only caught a small glimpse of it before it shook it's head, spit out the hook and disappeared. I was half expecting it to tell me to eff off before it spit that hook out. lol!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 PM

[/QUOTE]I caught a weird fish tonight. It had to have been a pike but it didn't fight at all. It was almost like it purposely stayed as still as possible to make me work harder. It was like reeling in a rock. I have limited fishing experience and have only caught fish that fought hard....rolling around, going under the boat, etc, but this one was different. It took forever to get it beside the boat and then I only caught a small glimpse of it before it shook it's head, spit out the hook and disappeared. I was half expecting it to tell me to eff off before it spit that hook out. lol![/QUOTE]

That was prolly a big pike you had on. They tend to do that, pull them in like a log, then when they see the boat............ make a mad dash to get away. Or in you case unfortunalty spit your hook.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 PM

I caught a weird fish tonight. It had to have been a pike but it didn't fight at all. It was almost like it purposely stayed as still as possible to make me work harder. It was like reeling in a rock. I have limited fishing experience and have only caught fish that fought hard....rolling around, going under the boat, etc, but this one was different. It took forever to get it beside the boat and then I only caught a small glimpse of it before it shook it's head, spit out the hook and disappeared. I was half expecting it to tell me to eff off before it spit that hook out. lol![/QUOTE]

That was prolly a big pike you had on. They tend to do that, pull them in like a log, then when they see the boat............ make a mad dash to get away. Or in you case unfortunalty spit your hook.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Stally! It was definitely the biggest fish I've caught. Really wish I could have gotten it into the net.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 AM

6'6 Bass pro Tourney Special
Pflueger President
10lb stren braid
any spoon or crankbait
Old 08-17-2012, 06:37 AM

I caught a weird fish tonight. It had to have been a pike but it didn't fight at all. It was almost like it purposely stayed as still as possible to make me work harder. It was like reeling in a rock. I have limited fishing experience and have only caught fish that fought hard....rolling around, going under the boat, etc, but this one was different. It took forever to get it beside the boat and then I only caught a small glimpse of it before it shook it's head, spit out the hook and disappeared. I was half expecting it to tell me to eff off before it spit that hook out. lol![/QUOTE]

That was prolly a big pike you had on. They tend to do that, pull them in like a log, then when they see the boat............ make a mad dash to get away. Or in you case unfortunalty spit your hook.[/QUOTE]

X2 on the big Pike.
Dodger.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 AM

For a set up. I'm a fan of the Quantum Snapshots. fast casts without
to much bail play. Got it on a 7 ft. med. Ugly Stick. My Fav..

talk about NO FIGHT in a fish.....
Yesterday I spent the day on Wab. It was slow so I got over to
Falis and found a 20 ft hole and used a Jig Head with a twister tail .
I used a very very slow retreive with a little pull/jig once in awhile and
that seemed to work. managed to bring in 4 that way. None to big

I had one that was so had absoutley no fight !!! Pullled it in like
a log..... no head shake or run. Looked healthy but couldnt care less
about the boat or being caught. I think its the warm mid summer
heat that just has them in a siesta state .
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 AM

Medium/heavy baitcaster combo and a spinner bait. they will hit that all day... or atleast until they crew the shirt of it haha
Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Banned

An Orvis 9'6" eight weight + floating Cortland Wf8 + 8' of 17 lb. Stren & a 3/0 Clouser. Any color works.

Sol
Old 08-17-2012, 08:18 AM

For pike I currently use a 6'10" Medium action Rapala TS2 rod with a Rapala Volt baitcaster and 30lb Sufix 832. It does the trick, but sometimes I find if I've got a larger fish on that it would be nice to have a little beefier rod. I've got a new rod/reel on my wish list, but I've gotta wait a bit for that one

If I'm on a smaller lake with smaller pike I'll drop down to a 6'6" Medium/Fast Shimano Sojourn with a Shimano Caenan baitcaster and 20lb PowerPro.

Favorite lure really depends on the day and the lake. No. 2 Len Thompson spoons will always get the nod at some point in the day, and I've got a variety of crankbaits in different sizes/patterns that run at different depths that will get the nod in the right situation. Swimbaits like the Storm Wildeyes have their place as well

As for bait...the only time I really use bait for pike is in the winter, otherwise I have way more fun chucking hardware at them!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I caught a weird fish tonight. It had to have been a pike but it didn't fight at all. It was almost like it purposely stayed as still as possible to make me work harder. It was like reeling in a rock. I have limited fishing experience and have only caught fish that fought hard....rolling around, going under the boat, etc, but this one was different. It took forever to get it beside the boat and then I only caught a small glimpse of it before it shook it's head, spit out the hook and disappeared. I was half expecting it to tell me to eff off before it spit that hook out. lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stally77 View Post
That was prolly a big pike you had on. They tend to do that, pull them in like a log, then when they see the boat............ make a mad dash to get away. Or in you case unfortunalty spit your hook.
I agree...particularly in the summer when the water gets warm, and there's less oxygen in the water the fish will sometimes put up less of a fight and tire out much faster. This time of year it's very important to get your fish in as quick as you can to reduce the stress on the fish, and release it ASAP for the same reason. I see more floaters this time of year than any other.

I should add that this applies to all species in warm water, and not just pike.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 AM

10" cabelas turny trail medium heavy rod with a fast tip, #40 saltwater stryker reel with #30 lb power pro, #2 len Thompsons, or 8" husy rapala. Working great on Wab right now.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:54 PM

11 foot salmon rod with 80lb power pro.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I agree...particularly in the summer when the water gets warm, and there's less oxygen in the water the fish will sometimes put up less of a fight and tire out much faster. This time of year it's very important to get your fish in as quick as you can to reduce the stress on the fish, and release it ASAP for the same reason. I see more floaters this time of year than any other.

I should add that this applies to all species in warm water, and not just pike.
Thanks for the advice jay I get them in pretty fast usually and they jump out of my net even faster so I'm definitely not guilty of having them out too long. lol! Wish I had pics of my fishing experience so far. That album would be hilarious.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, New2fishing!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM

Medium weight ugly stick spooled with 30lb suffix,
I like chucking big raps in the summer,

But in the winter I prefer fluorescent spoons baited with a smelt, prefferably fluorescent orange,
Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 PM

Browning medium weight 6'6" rod, Fleuger president medium reel, 15lb spiderwire stealth braid, and just about any spoon (always start with red and white, if that aint working i switch to orange and silver) gets em every time!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 PM
pelada trochu

Hi. I have 6,6" johnny morris signature with 2500 sahara. 12lb mono. The combo will take any size pike you can through at it with the nice strong back bone. Medium extra fast tip. All u sissies out there with braid gotta go back to mono.

I agree that to throw really heavy plugs this rod and line cant do it. Braid and 3500 or 4000 would be better. But so far im still smiling.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:37 PM

If fishing bigger lures or topwaters over weeds I use an 8' St Croix Premier Medium Heavy with a Quantum Cabo PT30 baitcaster spooled with 65 lb Powerpro braid so if the pike goes into the weeds I can horse them out plus get them to the boat quickly so I can release a non tired out fish.

When trolling use a Tour KVD 7' 10" medium heavy moderate action rod with a Tour KVD baitcaster with 30 lb Powerpro braid. Like the moderate action in this situation as with the braid and no stretch the moderate action gives some "stretch" for the fish to grab the lure.

When casting smaller lures use a 7' medium heavy fast action Tour KVD rod topped with a Tour Edition baitcaster spooled with 30 lb Powerpro braid.

And I concur that that was probably a far size pike OneGirlWolfPack had on. Too bad it got off.

For lures use most eerything from spoons to big Suicks. Mostly though use shallow running Raps.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:40 PM

I try and use my TFO 9ft. 9 wt. fly rod for pike now. I also use my old 6'6" Shimano Bob Izumi walleye rod with a spin cast reel.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:06 PM

My is 9wt-9ft loomis rod and reel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old pictures#2 005.jpg (50.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 PM

6' bait caster with 12lbs braid and a nice crank!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
Hi. I have 6,6" johnny morris signature with 2500 sahara. 12lb mono. The combo will take any size pike you can through at it with the nice strong back bone. Medium extra fast tip. All u sissies out there with braid gotta go back to mono.

I agree that to throw really heavy plugs this rod and line cant do it. Braid and 3500 or 4000 would be better.
But so far im still smiling.
So what about us sissies who wanna throw heavy gear?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 AM

My setup right now is a 10' 9wt sage zaxis with a ross momentum reel. Doubles as a small tarpon set up.

I used to use a 9' 9wt st croix imperial, with a pflueger trion, and that worked pretty well....

Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post

I agree that to throw really heavy plugs this rod and line cant do it. Braid and 3500 or 4000 would be better. But so far im still smiling.
what advantage does mono have?

I recently spooled up some 8lb for trout and it is like fighting them on an elastic band, and has inferior sensitivity.

For pike, I use a light trout rod, 8lb power pro, and 12-24" 17lb stren leader. Mostly throw raps, and only fish Glenmore for them.

Biggest I've seen there are about 30", some medium and some fat, but nothing huge.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 AM

Casting: ABU 7 ' MH Veritas, BPS Pro Qualifier 4.6 ratio, Max Shad Rap in Perch, Power Pro 30lb braid. hand-tied 40lb steel leaders.
Spinning: Rapala R-Type, 6' 3" Med, Pflueger President, and a 12 or 14-sized X-Rap in Perch, or almost any other pattern. For that matter, Husky Jerks, Bombers, and most any other jerk bait is fine by me. 15 lb braid. Hand-tied 20 lb steel leaders, or 30 lb flouro leaders.
The Veritas: