Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 09:52 PM

Default Opinion on Bayliner Boats?

The family is looking into boating this summer. As of this moment, we have our eyes set on either Bayliner 175 Bowrider or Bayliner Elements E18. We'll probably be using this boat for a mixture of water activities (wake boarding), relaxing and fishing.

From what i've read on here and other forums, Bayliner is known as a "gateway" brand for beginners such as myself. That being said, some boating veterans have expressed distaste towards owning anything made by Bayliner.

Thoughts?

Please let me know if there are other sub $30000 boats I should consider.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2017, 05:52 AM

Default mentmore variety

Bayliner has a very long history, some of it not so great, and many have based their opinions on those not so great years. They are making a decent product now, the catch seems to be at the dealer end as to whether or not you get a good boat. Things can go wrong in a production boat, but if they are not systemic, and the dealer takes care of you, then all is good.

There is a very active forum of Bayliner owners

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/

that I subscribe to, and I see many prospective owners asking questions about the new boats. There are a large number of very helpful people on the forum that would be happy to help you define your choice.

My Bayliner is quite a bit older, '89 1810 Bass Fish'n Ski, and it's a great boat.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:19 AM

Still have my 84 Baylinner for just over 18 years . used almost every other weekend. Still going strong . Great family boat. If I would buy another boat it would be aluminum just so I can bring it to shore with out rubbing out the bottom. Had to repair it last year ,as i could see threw the haul .

Old 01-23-2017, 08:28 AM

I've owned a couple now. There are definitely pros and cons. We wake/fish and hang cruise with our F18 Flight Series (2008). Very comfy, decent power for wakeboarding (4.3l), and I have it rigged up for downrigger fishing. For what I paid it's given a lot back to me.
Pros: great entry level boat. I don't have much to compare it to. The throttle stays where you put it and does not spring back like some do. Gets up on step pretty quick with the 4.3l I/O. The Mercruiser is an asset- there are a lot of Merc dealers and forums online to identify potential issues. Easy engine to maintain. I like the boats layout as well. We have a family of six and usually have another family accompany us and she sits nicely out of the water even when at max capacity. All around pretty happy with it's flexibility and reliability.
Cons: While easy to maintain, there's not a ton of room to work on them. I'm guessing this is true with most boats... I've owned 2 and they have both listed side to side pretty good while at lowest speed. You learn to live with it but it is a pain. I believe that's due to their hull construction as i have tried ways to remedy without success. The wake is relatively small. Usually more people sitting in the back will spit out one big enough for any rider and we've had some good riders come along over the years. If you're looking for a tourny style boat wake from those direct drive beauties-you're buying the wrong boat. It still works good though. Overall pretty cheap construction but gets the job done.
So not a ringing endorsement from me, but I'm honestly happy with what that brand has given me over the years. Like anything you need to maintain like crazy.
B-O-A-T = Bring On Another Thousand

My next boat will be a direct drive for wake purposes. The Bayliner will get you out there though and having just as much fun.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM

I don't know a whole lot about the new ones, but I can tell you that my parents have a 1990 Bayliner Capri 2050, and 27 years and A LOT of hard hours later, it's still in great shape. No gel coat cracks, everything is solid and tight, and it's still a good looking and very functional boat.

I think it's fair to say that Bayliner is an entry level boat, but I think you get a lot for your money these days. It's a Ford or a Chev rather than a BMW or an Audi, but it'll get the job done and do it pretty well.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM

We have a 2003 Bayliner 175 with the 3.0 mercruiser and are very happy with it. It's a basic no frills boat that has plenty of power for pulling kids on the tube or wakeboards and is very economical to run. We did a week at the Shuswap and averaged one tank of fuel per day pulling the kids around, probably 8-10 hours on the water each day with 6 people in the boat.

The layout is functional but I'd like to get rid of the back to back seats on the driver's side and put a helm seat with an adjustable bolster so I can lean against it while driving. That would also give us more room for a cooler. I just looked on the bayliner website and notice they have a bucket seat on the drivers side now.

Build quality seems quite high for an entry level boat.

I'd buy another Bayliner... that E18 looks like a nice layout
Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses. Sounds like I can't go wrong with a Bayliner especially for its price! I'm slowly leaning towards the Element series because of the M shaped haul for increased stability.

To the owners: Would you say the boat has been easy to maintain or maintenance free over the years? How easy is the maintenance? I've heard the local dealer, Renfrew Marine, doesn't have the greatest customer service. Has this been an issue?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:21 AM

Maintenance is maintenance, it's not really specific to any one brand. Maintenance on the actual boat itself is very minimal and easy to do yourself. Keep it clean and polished up, tighten the odd screw here and there, and keep an eye on the wiring/electrical. The only headache I could foresee is dealing with any plumbing issues on boats with ballast tanks, showers, etc... or a lot of complicated electronic accessories.

Basic motor maintenance is a DIY project if you're at all mechanically inclined, if not, any certified Mercury, Yamaha, Volvo, etc... dealer can work on the boat, you don't have to take it the dealer you bought it from. That being said, don't underestimate the value buying from a good dealer and getting priority when it comes to service after the sale.

I have no experience with Renfrew Marine.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 AM

Whatever u do. Do not underpower it. There r a few dealers that throw on the smallest engine to keep the price down. There is nothing more frustrating than a boat that won't plain quickly. Especially when u r pulling people or have a boat full. check the the boat name plate and see what the max hp rating. Good luck