Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2020, 04:07 AM

Default Hear me out first before you hurt my feelings.

Now we know theres a chenille worm, wiggly worm, wormysquirmy, egg worm and whatever but have you ever... put a plastic twister worm on a hook and used it for pike or trout fly fishing? Im curious on how effective it would work; since it’s pretty much weightless so you can add splitshots or sinktip to get down deep. Technically it’s a streamer.

Im sure some of you purist will hate me for saying blasphemy and will smite me with their holy fly rod.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 AM

probably would work but the only thing is if it is scented it is considered bait and can't use it on most streams. only issue i can see.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-15-2020, 09:02 AM

Default Hear me out

I wonder how well it would cast?
Old 07-15-2020, 09:17 AM

I’ve done it. Works just fine. I also met a guy who was using a fly rod to toss rapalas. He caught fish.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:26 AM

Ive tried it before. There ive said it. Actually i didnt want to fish them, as there is no point really. Flies work like they are supposed to. But curiosity got to me when i first started fly fishing.

Anyway i find you lose plastics mostly at the stop either end of your cast. That line out there is traveling at pretty high speeds to just come to a abrupt reverse stop. They often just rip right off.
I tried tiny plastic Hellgrammites with some success. Guy i went with had spinning rod so we experimented some. Chucked all kinds of stuff that day.

Last edited by cranky; 07-15-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeonafly View Post

Im sure some of you purist will hate me for saying blasphemy and will smite me with their holy fly rod.
Not at all. All my rods are agnostic.

J
Old 07-15-2020, 12:22 PM

Default Ouch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
I’ve done it. Works just fine. I also met a guy who was using a fly rod to toss rapalas. He caught fish.
I've dinged myself a couple times casting big streamers and that hurts, can't imagine taking a rapala with a couple treble hooks dangling from it would feel like.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:58 AM

He removed the trebles and added a single trailing hook. Otherwise, yeah.. that could suck getting hit!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:51 PM

Sure, the Mr Twister "teenie" (2" size) in a pumpkin seed or tortoise-shell coloring, is a deadly searching nymph or streamer -- you can fish it either way, jigging, sweeping or retrieving.

At one point, with the multitude of different tubing, beads, et al materials, I realized that in some situations (nymphing golden stones or San Juan worms), I was trying to come up with something better-suited to spin fishing.

Also,the once perhaps clearer lines between flies and lures has really disappeared. Look at http://https://www.reelflies.ca/realistic-nymphs/

http://http://www.mistertwister.ca/micro%20nymph.htm

So what I did was adapted some of their lures to fly-fishing. One great thing about using Mister Twisters is they are scent-free, great movement in water, and you don't need to use split-shot. Use a super-light jig hook (1/32 ideally, 1/16 ok); once you get it fitted on your hook of choice, apply some glue at the end approaching the eye, so that it covers end of lure to hook. If you don't glue it, it will get launched on your first or second false cast, lol.

I tie and buy dry flies and some euro-nymph stuff. Ideally sight-fishing using dries but it's been interesting how often using mister twister or red-wired worms is all that was needed as a back-up.

Last edited by Dielbo; 07-17-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
He removed the trebles and added a single trailing hook. Otherwise, yeah.. that could suck getting hit!
I think it goes without saying that you have to use a single hook -- well, I thought it did. Yeah either use a jig (single) hook, or swap out trebles for single barbless. Make sure the weight of the single hook is approximate to what the treble was, and the action works fine.

This style works decently on the Bow on those "crappy, poor weather days when nothing is hatching and there are no fish in sight" kinda days.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:18 PM

Seen a guy at keho with some big squiggly tail, seemed to be doin alright, not as good as my magic walleye/pike pattern though.......
Old 09-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post

J
Sorry buddy, there are no fish in the Styx.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Sorry buddy, there are no fish in the Styx.
https://nzfishing.com/west-coast/whe...sh/styx-river/

http://flyanglersonline.com/lighterside/part364.php
Old 09-01-2020, 10:48 PM

Why not just use the rod it was made for.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:37 AM

The taper of the two styles of rods typically are different.

Fly rods tend to have a slope of 0.0027”/inch of rod length.

Spin rods tend more towards 0.042”/ inch of rod length.

Regards,

Don

Last edited by Don Andersen; 09-02-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:36 PM

Whoops, Caron and I stand corrected!
Old 09-24-2020, 01:46 PM

Stuck a Rappala into my shoulder using a flyrod. Please don't chuck things not meant for a fly rod. It was a hold my beer and watch this moment.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:20 PM

I know a very well known fly angler that you see on TV. We grew up together fishing trout streams in the lower mainland 30 years ago. He has for as long as we have fished together he has carried some small Dick Nites in his fly box. When things go south I've seen the Dick Nite come out, the results are as expected.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post

J
So no St.Croix Rods for you I guess .....
Old 10-20-2020, 02:03 PM

LOL....I used to own 3. One I baptized and never got back.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:50 PM

Probably would work. Lots of streamers are tied like jigs with jig heads. Jim’s jigs would probably be just fine
Old 12-25-2020, 08:26 AM

I used to use slug o's for bass unweighted. They barely had enough weight to cast on a regular rod but they had the most erratic action of any lure I have ever used. My guess they would work great for pike in shallow weedy water. Don't let anyone tell you you cant do this or that when fishing. I do stuff with my 2wt that would make people cry. Fish skull 1/0 pike fly bounced through a deep pool on a small creek. If you catch fish who cares
Old 01-04-2021, 07:50 PM

Here in the "Peg we have a few tiers that will use those tails for Musky flies. Most of these patterns are 12-14 inches long and they do work. I know some of the guys will actually use rabbit hides for the curly tails. Anyway being an old fart I just can't see myself casting a 12 wt. with a 14 inch fly on it all day long. Young man's game now.