Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Honestly I think that is more a case of getting used to characteristics of a specific tire rather than them actually stiffening the sidewall itself (other than playing with air pressure of course).

This said, people often forget that a tire wears gradually in the reality of time. When a tire is brand new and the tread is very deep, it is natural to feel more flex (or sway or as you described "being on a boat" etc) as the taller tread blocks will squirm more under load, but as they slowly wear over time they don't feel the transition to them becoming less forgiving and more stable, so by the time it is time for new tires they might notice a dramatic difference between the old and new tires, especially when going to something with a very deep lug and higher sipe density.

Think of it to the extreme where they shave down race tires to a minimal tread depth, or run slicks instead of having any tread in the dry. That gives a tire the absolutely most stability when pushed to the extreme (along with a larger contact patch on the slicks). Even though it may not be as dramatic with street tires, it still is a very real effect.
Just curious, I have always thought that wear on a tire goes much faster for the first half of tread wear depth than the last half simply because of tire squirm on the taller tread. My own experience is I can get about 25,000 km on the first half and from there it takes about 50,000 more to get down close to the wear bars.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:22 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Just curious, I have always thought that wear on a tire goes much faster for the first half of tread wear depth than the last half simply because of tire squirm on the taller tread. My own experience is I can get about 25,000 km on the first half and from there it takes about 50,000 more to get down close to the wear bars.
Yep totally common... The more a tread squirms around the faster it wears.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-28-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
Don’t know about traction, but they seem to be horrible in rock and gravel.
We run them at the mine, and since they change, I’ve never changed to many flat tires. Granted it is spring, and we use some me big material, but it’s a lot.
Almost all the flats are rock punctured in the tread face, never had this issue before with the older duratracs.
I wonder if this is an issue of operator over confidence in marketing claims, rather than an actual tire issue? The new Duratracs have Dupont Kevlar, they're practically bulletproof! No need to watch where you're driving now, they can take the abuse. Besides, it's a company truck after all.

The first generation Duratracs were known to be soft and easily punctured; best to drive accordingly or face the inevitable flat.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell