Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Default Ice Shanty Tips

i built an 8' by 10' foot shed and was looking for some tips!
I am going to insulate it but was curious as to if you think I should put
a vapor barrier as well.
I have a wood stove in it and was just curious as to if it would get enough air if I sealed it that tight.
I do plan on sleeping in it and the less would I burn the better.
And input!!!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 PM

my shack is the same size and i put vapor barrier in it, but it has two windows for ventilation. The V.B also helps to hold the insulation in place. I put a 2' piece of puck board all the way around the bottom to protect the V.B and insulation
Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 AM

I build a new hut last year that is about 24 inches high all the way around and made out of 5/8 plywood . The floor is 3/4 for added strength .
8 X 5 on skids If I need to pull it but I just put it into the back of my truck and pull it out when I'm on the ice.
The two ends that are another 5 ft. high fold down into itself. They are rounded on the tops and the tarp material is secured over the ends to the top of the walls.
I went to northland construction and paid $75 for one of those thick insulated orange tarps that the construction guys use. The walls are only
plywood but hold a pretty good R value when its sealed properly .
The whole Hut is increadibly warm and holds heat as good as any I have seen. No moisture inside at all. I've been in it with my Mr.Heater little buddy for 6 hours and never felt cold once. There is no need to insulate the plywood as it is a porous material in itself and wont get wet on the inside.
The plywood part of the hut isnt the worry about heat loss or condensation ..... its always the type of tarp material you use.
Do yourself a big favour and get the insulated tarp. I think it has a better R value than some houses I've been in. I dont have any pic right now. I'll try to get them over the holidays and post them.

good luck with your new project .....