Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 07:11 PM

Default Question for BC'ers,or those familiar with

My wife and I are taking a trip to the Yukon mid August, and on the way back we are going to make a few stops in BC. We are staying in Prince Rupert for a couple days, and perhaps a couple more in Quesnel. I am wondering about doing a little fishing, especially in Prince Rupert since we'll be right by the water anyway. Have never fished in the ocean and I thought it might be kinda cool to try. The BC fishing regs seem pretty complicated, I'm not sure exactly what I'd need as a Alberta resident. Anyone have any insight into this, or can make any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:28 PM

The water in BC is split into fresh water (provincial fishing license) and salt water (federal fishing license). If you are fishing in salt water at Prince Rupert, you as an Albertan will require the same license as I do as a BC resident. Go online and look up fisheries and ocean Canada and you can purchase a saltwater fishing license ( around $20 I think). This will let you fish for everything, BUT if you are planning on keeping any salmon that you catch you will also need to purchase a "salmon stamp" ( about $10).
Old 07-26-2016, 01:07 AM
AO Sponsor

If you want to try the ocean, best is hire a charter, if you're on a budget, try a half day. If that's unaffordable try do I fishing? Thats supposed to be hit or miss, a friend td me to try the dock on Digby island. You can crab there. I'd hire the guide, he should be able to get you I to the coho like supremely and you get your coho limit each in an hour or less then go get bottom fish.

If you want to river fish but want it simple, buy your licence and salmon stamp and go fish the Kitimat for coho, a very good time to get going on them.

Do spend some time learning your salmon ID!!! Don't kill a steelhead if the season is closed, he has a white mouth, no black in there.