Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Default Browning x bolt versus tikka t3 lite

I went to wholsalesports the other day looking for a good coyote gun in my price range. I have picked out my two favorites the browning x bolt and the tikka t3 light. I want to shoot .223 because it is inexpensive to shoot and is still a fast gun. Does anyone have any opinions on which can is better or the pros and cons of them both. And maybe some different places to go for better prices thanx
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 AM

Default x-bolt or Tikka

I have an x-bolt and a T-3 in my safe, and would definitely buy both again. The Tikka is probably a bit lighter, if it was a gun you were planning to carry in the field. In terms of price point & good old fashioned customer service (sometimes sadly lacking at Wholesale) I would recommend Roger at Shooters Choice. He is a real gentleman to deal with & very knowledgeable. His prices match Wholesale Sports and he is currently running some good package deals on Tikkas.

http://www.shooterschoice.ca/rifles.htm
Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 AM
sheephunter

Can't see you going wrong with either.....
Old 02-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Tough Choice? I like the x-bolt maybe a little better? As long as you Dont buy a Savage you'll Do fine!

Last edited by whitetail Junkie; 02-15-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Don't think you could go wrong with either!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Both are pretty equal in my eye. For a 223 I'd probably go with the T3 just because it is lighter.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 AM

I think the two rifles are about as close to an even draw as you can get. As far as price try Moving Target in Entwistle AB. They have to compete to get people out of the city.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauhunter View Post
I went to wholsalesports the other day looking for a good coyote gun in my price range. I have picked out my two favorites the browning x bolt and the tikka t3 light. I want to shoot .223 because it is inexpensive to shoot and is still a fast gun. Does anyone have any opinions on which can is better or the pros and cons of them both. And maybe some different places to go for better prices thanx
IMO I like the tikka, WSS has the 223 package on sale in Edmonton at there north store.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Very comparable firearms.

I prefer the safety location on the Browning and the fact the mag holds an extra round, but the Tikka is lighter and bolt lift is easier after firing a round.

Can't go to wrong with either.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 PM

x bolt every day of the week. I might be a little bias because I've never handled one but I do own a tikka t3 lite that I don't care for, however my grandfather uses it and likes it.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 PM

I much prefer the trigger on the tikka. Looking at several of each with a borescope the brownings have a much higher incidence of off center chambers and much rougher bores than tikkas. On the other hand I like the tang safety and the 60 degree bolt throw on the browning. If I had to choose I'd pick a Tikka because of higher tolerance machining. Don't much care for the looks of the X-bolt, very homely rifles.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:41 PM

im more leaning towards the tikka but im not sure yet. i really like how smooth the action is but the browning is fairly smooth as well. I went to the Wholsalesports in south common they were pretty nice behind the gun counter better than the other one i know that.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 PM

I saw Tikka 223 on sale at WholeSale Sports with Burris rings and bases and scope. I don't remember what was the power on the scope and I think the price was $849. For that price, you can't go wrong.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
I have an x-bolt and a T-3 in my safe, and would definitely buy both again. The Tikka is probably a bit lighter, if it was a gun you were planning to carry in the field. In terms of price point & good old fashioned customer service (sometimes sadly lacking at Wholesale) I would recommend Roger at Shooters Choice. He is a real gentleman to deal with & very knowledgeable. His prices match Wholesale Sports and he is currently running some good package deals on Tikkas.

http://www.shooterschoice.ca/rifles.htm
x2 on Shooter's Choice - and IMHO, either would suit you fine. Maybe whichever suits you better when you go to the store?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 AM

Wink

Both rifles shoot, carry, and handle great. If these are your 2 choices for a huniting rifle, you won't go wrong with either.
Pick the one that finds your shoulder and line of sight the easiest.
I went with the T3, but only because it fits me better than the X.
That T3 sure is smooth though eh?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Well first of all I would base my decision on the twist rate. They are both proven to be excellent shooters. My x-bolt shoots under a 1/4 inch 3 shot group @ 100 yards. Regardless the browning has a 1 in 12" twist rate which is best suited for stabilizing bullets up to 60gr. The tikka has a 1 in 8" twist that can stabilize the heavier bullets with more B.C. such as the 75 gr. a-max or 80gr Bergers. Even though I love my browning, I wish it had a faster twist rate so I could shoot the heavier bullets @ farther distances.

With that being said, the x-bolt's magazine does not stick out from the stock. That's a nice feature. Also all of the x-bolts are glass bedded from the factory.

Have fun making your decision.

Just for bragging rights, here is my grouping from the x-bolt varmint.

Last edited by Jeromeo; 02-16-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 AM

So I went to Wholesale yesterday to see what all the fuss is about with these x-bolts. I looked at a blued synthetic in 300wsm, a very nice rifle, felt good in the hands, nice trigger, quiet safety on the tang. I also liked the 23" tube on the short mag, overall a very nice rifle. The only negative that I had, was that I thought the bolt handle felt too small(read dainty), compared to all my other rifles, but that was about it.

You need to handle both, and then make your decision, they are both superbly accurate rifles.

So in the T3 corner here is a group from mine just to even out the paperwork . Not quite as tight, but were not comparing apples to apples here. This is a 338 Win Mag, weighing in about 7lbs scoped, launching 210g Partitions at just under 3,000fps.

Last edited by Homesteader; 02-21-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Tough Choice? I like the x-bolt maybe a little better? As long as you Dont buy a Savage you'll Do fine!

I would go with the tikka but thats just me. Maybe you might like the feel of the x-bolt better. Or you could look at a savage or stevens. Whitetail Junkie owns around 4 of them savages. Says there the cats meow!lol
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post

I would go with the tikka but thats just me. Maybe you might like the feel of the x-bolt better. Or you could look at a savage or stevens. Whitetail Junkie owns around 4 of them savages. Says there the cats meow!lol
More Like the dogs Breakfast!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
More Like the dogs Breakfast!
Come on louie, be your own man. Quit hatin on the savage bro. You'll look like your smarter than you are.lol But seriously lets not get started agian. And i'm just kidding, Like you are a presume.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Come on louie, be your own man. Quit hatin on the savage bro. You'll look like your smarter than you are.lol But seriously lets not get started agian. And i'm just kidding, Like you are a presume.
X2 Your Right,I was just Kidding aswell
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Hi there,
I researched this problem months ago.I went with the T3 because there were NO X bolts in .223 in Alberta at the time............I have no regrets,but I'll get the X bolt in another calibre next time........for sure.
I love 'em both.
TM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 PM

Default X bolt

I took my brand new X bolt .243 out today to break in the barrel (according to the gunsmiths directions) and my first three shots were all together in a clover leaf at 100 yards! I was shooting factory federal 100 grain soft points.It is an extremely comfortable gun with next to no recoil.