Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM
brook trout

Default chickakoo

Going to Chickakoo Lake next week sometime. Cant wait. But im not sure about cause it says it winter kills and summer kills. but fred noddin said since they stocked triploids in there it wouldnt winter kill. is that true? also some tips on hot spots, and flies would be nice.thanks.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Unless the triploids come with their own aerators, they'll die without oxygen. Although triploids are thought to use less oxygen than diploids, they still need dissolved oxygen to survive and I've seen studies where the disolved oxygen in Chickakoo was so low, no trout (or Char) would likely survive. Now if the Gov't would allow us to put aerators on the lake (and put some Browns in there) they wouldn't waste money on dying trout (and Char) every year.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Unless the triploids come with their own aerators, they'll die without oxygen. Although triploids are thought to use less oxygen than diploids, they still need dissolved oxygen to survive and I've seen studies where the disolved oxygen in Chickakoo was so low, no trout (or Char) would likely survive. Now if the Gov't would allow us to put aerators on the lake (and put some Browns in there) they wouldn't waste money on dying trout (and Char) every year.

Cheers,
Doc
Hey, Doc...
Just curious; why won't the gov't allow you to put aerators in there?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Not sure. We (FESA) mentioned we'd be interested in aerating it if we could get some Browns in there. We were simply told that they weren't ready to give up on Chickakoo yet.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM

I just can't wait to see what is the plan that GOVERNMENT's going to come up with what ever they'll do it for sure will be a good laughter and entertainment.... this lake is another example how hopeless they really are
maybe open up a seadoo rentals so people can rip right through the bush to Sauer Lake near by

Last edited by Morph1; 07-01-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 AM
brook trout

lets stay on topic. i never asked about aerators in the lake. hate it when that happens i post a question and then some one else posts a different question on this thread then it goes way off topic. read my post a little better.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brook trout View Post
lets stay on topic. i never asked about aerators in the lake. hate it when that happens i post a question and then some one else posts a different question on this thread then it goes way off topic. read my post a little better.
Hey FRED, relax a bit, this is a public, free of charge forum,
most likely no one is aware that your personal thread carry input restrictions,
I am sure pretty soon someone will ask where is that Chickakoo lake, how to get there , and how much are the seadoos per hour
and I'll be glad to help them out
Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brook trout View Post
If there were aerators there it would dramatically reduce the chance for summer kill as well. Given that the water level is really low and the weather has been warm this week aerators would also ensure more active fish.

It has everything to do with the topic at hand.