Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 PM

barbless - barbed whatever, what I do know is that barbless hooks make snagging fish a lot harder...and to that I will support barbless till I am dead in the grave - I cant stand those idiots.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Ive also noticed fisherman dont grasp fish as hard to remove hooks...which makes sense, when compared to pulling out a arrow with a practice point or a broadhead.
I believe that alone, benifits the general public, does the law make sense to experienced fisherman with good fish handling skills...nah maybe not.
BINGO! SQUEEZING THE CRAP OUT OF FISH = BAD........ MANY NOVICE FISHERMAN DO THIS......... now tell me........ does a hook pop out easier barbed or not barbed?....... remember not all fisherman are pro at fish handling techniques like you..... even YOU must agree to this....
Old 11-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
BINGO! SQUEEZING THE CRAP OUT OF FISH = BAD........ MANY NOVICE FISHERMAN DO THIS......... now tell me........ does a hook pop out easier barbed or not barbed?....... remember not all fisherman are pro at fish handling techniques like you..... even YOU must agree to this....
yeah but dad always taught me to squeeze the eyes of pike real hard to calm it down to take out my five of diamonds....
Old 11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL....I twisted nothing keg. You were using your personal ethics to judge legal hunters and saying it was a bigger battle to fight than a useless law the forces us to fish barbless. I disagree on so many levels.

Don't you remember saying:
So it is okay for you to argue against a law you think is useless, but not okay for me to object to a law that allows people to harvest far more then they need or can use ?

What you did was try to paint me as a hypocrite and or a fool for doing exactly what you are doing.

You disagree with one law, I disagree with a different law, or laws.

As I said. Low class. Real low class.

I've got better things to do then argue with the likes of you.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
yeah but dad always taught me to squeeze the eyes of pike real hard to calm it down to take out my five of diamonds....
dads know best! lol.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
wasnt directed at you chubb, just used your quote cause i liked it....
Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 PM

waiting.........
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
So it is okay for you to argue against a law you think is useless, but not okay for me to object to a law that allows people to harvest far more then they need or can use ?

What you did was try to paint me as a hypocrite and or a fool for doing exactly what you are doing.

You disagree with one law, I disagree with a different law, or laws.

As I said. Low class. Real low class.

I've got better things to do then argue with the likes of you.
I think you are missing the point keg. I never imposed my ethics on those that follow the barbless law. In fact I follow it myself. I disagree with the law but I don't criticize those that do things legally. You, not so much. No hypocracy there. Honestly keg, I'm not the one holding the paint brush. I think we are straying far away from the intent of this thread. Give Duane's column a read in this month's AO....you may change your mind.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 PM

man..... i see people squeezeing the crap outta fish removing a hook, even stepping on them,........ jaw spreaders on a 3/4 lb fish(ouch!).... the list gos on! barbless makes these silly things happen less often........ waiting....
Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
They do that with barbless too!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
They do that with barbless too!
not as often, or as hard, or as long!!!!!!! you can do better than that....
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Anybody want to volunteer to pinch the barbs on my hooks

My eyesight aint as good as it used to be.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 PM

sheep? i like you but comment on my posts please........
Old 11-04-2011, 06:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
sheep? i like you but comment on my posts please........
Ummm....I honestly can't say what other people do.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Ummm....I honestly can't say what other people do.
yes, but i can.... i see it.... out of the umteen thousand fisher people in alberta, not everyone has good handling techniques..... barbless helps these people to a degree....... no?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 PM

I like turtles
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I like turtles
Chocolate or meat?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM

mmm mmm.... i like tuuurtles.....
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
yes, but i can.... i see it.... out of the umteen thousand fisher people in alberta, not everyone has good handling techniques..... barbless helps these people to a degree....... no?
I honestly can't say. Not saying you are wrong but can't say you are right either. You are correct that not everyone has good handling skills but I'm not sure a barbless hook improves those. Perhaps.....but maybe not. It is an interesting arguement though.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 PM

the fact becomes even more magnified with the super sharp chemically sharpened hooks. These hooks pierce and dont leave a big entry point. The hooks also penetrate hard bone and cartilage. With a barb its requires pliers and possibly jaw spreaders. This operation takes time..."hurry go get the pliers while i pin this fish to the ground".....that alone may be a death sentence for the fish.
Even if the fish is drug up the bank and flops around on the dirt and spits a unbarbed hook, it chances must be better than it waiting for the mash unit to gather the surgical tools for a hook extraction. Especially if he is fishing alone or as in many cases scared of fish OR as in many cases like a dog who chases cars and finally catches one.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Agree fully chubb... one problem I have though (not attacking your post by any means, you're a great guy) is the people who
Quote:
"hurry go get the pliers while i pin this fish to the ground"

How hard is it to carry a set of pliers, scissors and a net? A net can be your #1 aide in a safe + healthy release. Since I started using a net ALWAYS, I have rarely even touched the fish I catch, and my release time is probably 20-30 seconds after landing the fish with a photo.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Agree fully chubb... one problem I have though (not attacking your post by any means, you're a great guy) is the people who

How hard is it to carry a set of pliers, scissors and a net? A net can be your #1 aide in a safe + healthy release. Since I started using a net ALWAYS, I have rarely even touched the fish I catch, and my release time is probably 20-30 seconds after landing the fish with a photo.

most definity ......but even though good fisherman catch most of the fish.....because of sheer numbers the group that doesnt expect to catch a fish is still huge or the unequipped angler makes up a large percentage also.
Its like this in every sport...some guys golf with 4 clubs in total.....some guys need a cart to carry their clubs.

Maybe people would be happier if the Government made this law.......If angling you must be in immediate possesion of long forceps, a net adequate to keep a fish in the water and jaws spreaders......not sure that is a improvement on keeping personal rights....BUT i do know if the Government wanted a easy cash grab....that would work.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
most definity ......but even though good fisherman catch most of the fish.....because of sheer numbers the group that doesnt expect to catch a fish is still huge or the unequipped angler makes up a large percentage also.
Its like this in every sport...some guys golf with 4 clubs in total.....some guys need a cart to carry their clubs.

Maybe people would be happier if the Government made this law.......If angling you must be in immediate possesion of long forceps, a net adequate to keep a fish in the water and jaws spreaders......not sure that is a improvement on keeping personal rights....BUT i do know if the Government wanted a easy cash grab....that would work.
Or like a couple Europen countries, they could make C&R illegal.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Yup as with everything there is some valid points to that too
Old 11-04-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
that would completely take the enjoyment out of fishing, and lets be honest, in alberta, if you make C&R illegal with these regs, we're doomed. All fish would be extinct, and quickly!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
that would completely take the enjoyment out of fishing, and lets be honest, in alberta, if you make C&R illegal with these regs, we're doomed. All fish would be extinct, and quickly!
Well all fishermen might be extinct....They'd just close waters to angling all together that could not support a harvest. BTW, I'm not suggesting it.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Well all fishermen might be extinct....They'd just close waters to angling all together that could not support a harvest. BTW, I'm not suggesting it.
I didn't think you were. Most of us here are sensible

But true. Could you imagine the size the bulls would get with less pressure on some waters. A 30+ cutt! a massive brookie! oh boy I'm getting hungry!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 PM

some cases ive witnessed in my years of fishing.

A young fellow fishing and a good parent with no liking or desire to fish sitting in a lawn chair enjoying the sunshine reading a book at Police lake......kid catches a fish and Dad's reaction......good for you, but has the look on his face like...oh my gawd now what. In that case i tryed to show him how to grab the hook with pliers and roll to allow the fishe's wgt. to remove the hook. But with the barb and the fish lacking wgt it didnt work well...took a couple hard shakes. Without a barb it s my opinion that method works well even with tiny fish.

Keho lake.....pulling up to the launch in the boat.....young couple on fishing on the rocks ..i ask hows fishing?......young lady says good i guess i have a fish on my line but we are too scared to take it off, its got huge teeth and its slippery!!!!!!...possibly barbless the fish would have released itself.

Not that im overly compassionate to the un prepared but kindness must be shown. Maybe if all the law does is give the uneducated a easier way out of their unforseen dilema thats enough, after all every sport fish is important and belongs to all of us.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Chubb, you're a class act my friend.

Always have a wise word and I don't think I can add to that. I taught a young kid on the sheep how to properly release his fish, after seeing him throw 3 little rainbows into the water after taking the hook out. Saw him late in the season out there with his mom again, and he was letting them go nicely in the water. Its rewarding to see you've taught someone something!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Anybody want to volunteer to pinch the barbs on my hooks

My eyesight aint as good as it used to be.
I will but I am charging you per hour so I think you may have to take out a second mortgage to be able to afford it.