Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
waterninja waterninja is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: edmonton
Posts: 11,446
Default new fishing boat

new to me anyway's. i love my little canoe for pothole lakes but it is crowded for 2 people and have been looking for a small boat that i could put my 10 horse motor on. fellow member YEE HAW found this little beauty for me. it's a "TABUR YAK 3". it's small enough to fit on a ranger and only weighs 144 lbs. gonna test it at herm pond with electric motor soon and then try her out on a larger lake (spring?). don't know if catamaran style is better or worse then V shape but i'll find out.
she was made in france but i can't get much info from google. anyone out there have any experiance with the tabur yak?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taber3.jpg (46.2 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg taber1.jpg (40.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg taber2.jpg (42.1 KB, 315 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Alberta Bigbore's Avatar
Alberta Bigbore Alberta Bigbore is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 16,699
Default

That looks stable.
__________________
Alberta Bigbore
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2013, 02:34 PM
JohninAB's Avatar
JohninAB JohninAB is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Central Alberta
Posts: 6,113
Default

Nice looking boat. I would assume it should be quite stable but one never knows till they try it out. Look forward to your report.
__________________
“Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

“We abuse land because we see it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”

Aldo Leopold
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Marsha's Avatar
Marsha Marsha is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 271
Default

It will be quite stable... I used to have a "Sport Yak" model of that boat , it was a little smaller then yours. Had it when I was a kid on kokasila river on vancouver Island. I was a great boat for a 13 year old till it was stolen from the barn.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 11,601
Default

It was used by the Canadian Navy as a battle ship that was slowly fazed out after WW2... Good lookin rig! Remember any port in a storm!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Puma Puma is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WMU 214
Posts: 1,328
Default

Looks great ! Have fun.
Puma
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Agb Crash Agb Crash is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
It was used by the Canadian Navy as a battle ship that was slowly fazed out after WW2... Good lookin rig! Remember any port in a storm!
This is offensive to me, Canadian navy does not have battleships. The best is Destroyer or Destroyer escort.
This could have been a minesweeper at best (Hey Billy bring us your curling broom).

My experience with Cats is size for size more efficient and stable. Able to handle rough water as well as similar deep V.

Crash LT(N) Retired.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 11,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agb Crash View Post
This is offensive to me, Canadian navy does not have battleships. The best is Destroyer or Destroyer escort.
This could have been a minesweeper at best (Hey Billy bring us your curling broom).

My experience with Cats is size for size more efficient and stable. Able to handle rough water as well as similar deep V.

Crash LT(N) Retired.
My apologies Sir, Mine sweeper it is. Now its a mighty fishing vessel!

Rigid double-skinned hull of semi-catamaran design to provide max. stability,

thermoformed ABS, strongly resistant to knocks.


Seats 4-6 adults, good for a family and as a fishing dinghy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:03 PM
waterninja waterninja is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: edmonton
Posts: 11,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
My apologies Sir, Mine sweeper it is. Now its a mighty fishing vessel!

Rigid double-skinned hull of semi-catamaran design to provide max. stability,

thermoformed ABS, strongly resistant to knocks.


Seats 4-6 adults, good for a family and as a fishing dinghy.
just as long as it wasn't used as a submarine.

suggests a name to me....HMV WATER SWEEPER
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 PM
dodger's Avatar
dodger dodger is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,617
Default

Nice boat !! Looks like the trailer it's on will get it into a few places

Dodger.
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face

Redfrog
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 PM
alltoys alltoys is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmontn
Posts: 65
Default

Waterninja, Can you use an electric motor on Hermitage? Is there a size limit of boat on the Hermitage pond?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
waterninja waterninja is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: edmonton
Posts: 11,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltoys View Post
Waterninja, Can you use an electric motor on Hermitage? Is there a size limit of boat on the Hermitage pond?
you can use an electric motor, and as far as i know you can put any size boat in it. keep in mind that you have to carry your boat down hill (and back), about 150 yds. from parking lot.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 PM
fish gunner fish gunner is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on a mishn for fishn.
Posts: 8,791
Cool

Great find , a cat hull will not "cut" through rough water as well as a V hull. However it is far more stable as a fishing platform. Good luck with the new vessel.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
WayneChristie's Avatar
WayneChristie WayneChristie is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,056
Default

Ive heard a few people got Taber yak from eating at the chinese buffet
__________________
Rolling Hillbilly
2018 Sturgeon goal, 95.
total 17
Seasons best 58 1/2 inches
Biggest Carp 22 pounds
Biggest Channel Cat 14.5
girlyfish, no thanks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 AM
JohnnyD's Avatar
JohnnyD JohnnyD is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 175
Default

Great boat. I havent seen one of these in years. When I was in my early teens this was the first boat I ever had. The reason for the name is because the boat was capable of 3 functions. You can power with an outboard, use the oar locks and row, and there was a sailing kits you could get for the boats. It is quite a stable platform. Our family inherited the boat from my grandpa who used the boat on the Okanogon. We always had issues with a gas powered outboard on the boat. Could never get rid of the prop cavitation. Even installed a jack plate to get the motor lower. None the less Im sure this vessel will serve you well!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Geezle's Avatar
Geezle Geezle is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 8,143
Default

Very neat little boat...great find!
__________________
Jay: Mostly harmless...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Agb Crash Agb Crash is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Great find , a cat hull will not "cut" through rough water as well as a V hull. However it is far more stable as a fishing platform. Good luck with the new vessel.
Catamaran Myth 6
Cats can’t handle rough seas.

Some customers have the impression that cats are fine in some sea conditions but not others. Monohull dealers don’t clear up this myth, of course, and say that cats are great in a bay but not in rough seas. We’re not sure where this myth got started – but it’s just flat out wrong: catamarans are superior in every way in rough seas. For millenia, fishermen have trusted the twin hull design to get them through big seas. In fact, if it was not for rough seas catamaran dealers would be out of business as it is in rough seas that catamarans show their true superiority.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:59 AM
BobLoblaw's Avatar
BobLoblaw BobLoblaw is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,019
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Ive heard a few people got Taber yak from eating at the chinese buffet
^That right there???^

That's comedy gold, folks!

I literally lol'd...



BTW, very cool boat, Ninja; I like it!
__________________
Peace out!
-Steve-
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM
YeeHaw's Avatar
YeeHaw YeeHaw is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton Ab.
Posts: 1,328
Default

Just remember what I said about that lil boat, fat kids in the back, or it wil be a nose divong sub. Cand wait to try out your motor. Lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-18-2013, 10:24 AM
fish gunner fish gunner is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on a mishn for fishn.
Posts: 8,791
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agb Crash View Post
Catamaran Myth 6
Cats can’t handle rough seas.

Some customers have the impression that cats are fine in some sea conditions but not others. Monohull dealers don’t clear up this myth, of course, and say that cats are great in a bay but not in rough seas. We’re not sure where this myth got started – but it’s just flat out wrong: catamarans are superior in every way in rough seas. For millenia, fishermen have trusted the twin hull design to get them through big seas. In fact, if it was not for rough seas catamaran dealers would be out of business as it is in rough seas that catamarans show their true superiority.
The big flat spot on this hull will not " cut"a open hull like a hobbie will .
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-20-2013, 03:24 PM
alltoys alltoys is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmontn
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
you can use an electric motor, and as far as i know you can put any size boat in it. keep in mind that you have to carry your boat down hill (and back), about 150 yds. from parking lot.
That is what I was curious about. I did see the canoe club out there the other day using a freighter canoe with 12 husky fellows so size shouldn't matter.

If you need a fishing partner I live near there take care and good luck with your new boat.
__________________
Edmonton
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-25-2013, 03:53 AM
embury93's Avatar
embury93 embury93 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Barrhead, AB
Posts: 173
Default

Looks more like a giant bathtub lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.