Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 AM

Default Sightron Scopes,

I have a Sightron 6x24x42 on a 223 that was passed on to me and I have no Idea if these are a good, bad or ugly scope to have. Any feedback is apreciated on the quality of Sightrons.
Pete
Old 08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

The feedback on Sightron is that they are a very good scope. Made in Japan not China, huge difference. I have a Big Ski SII in 36x42 with the fine reticle for bench shooting. Very clear optics. Jerry, in Summerland BC. is a dealer for them and he is an accomplished bench gunner. He goes by mysticplayer on CGN, nice and trustworthy fellow.

That 6-24x42 on your .223 is a match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM

I have a 3-9x40 on my 22 mag, its very clear and holds up to some pretty hard abuse.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:22 AM

I have a Sightron Big Sky SII 4.5-14 and think it's great! High quality optics and very solid, repeatable mechanics.

Some of the online test reports compare this to VX3(or VXIII whichever is the better one) quality, meeting or beating it at $800 vs $1200 in the price catagory.

Sightron makes several levels of quality, like everyone, and the good ones rival some of the 'known' best except at a far fairer price.

Check their website and match up your model with a name and then you could get a comaparison on something you know. I found that it seems they equal scopes with online available prices of 20%-40% above Sightrons MSRP price. So, a good deal all through the line.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 AM

I have the big sky 6-24x with target turrets. it's an excellent scope. 1/8 mo adjustments and repeatable.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Sightron SIII 6-24X50 puchased from Mystic Precision. The best scope I own.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Sightron III 8-32x56 on my 6BR. Very nice scope and tracks extremely well, also purchased from Mystic Precision.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Very accurate tracking is what has amazed me the most with the Sightron that I own, even as fine as 1/8" clicks. With the fixed 36 power that I have, I can literally pick and hold on something as small as a mosquito landed on the 100 yard target and that is not exageration. Of course, the very fine crosshairs are required. Great scopes for the money.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:36 PM

the scopes are great, the binos aren't quite up to the standards of their better scope models. I have a set of 8x42 SII binos, lots of play in the ocular lens framework. If you press the glasses up against your eyes, there is actually play in the lenses, they move as much as an eighth or more inches with little pressure. Thinking the binos were damaged or faulty, I sent them back to Sightron for repair. Sightron got back to me several weeks later to advise that the binos were 'in spec' and were not going to be repaired or replaced. I waited two or more weeks for them to be shipped back, finally emailed the Canadian distributor to ask where they were. Also politely told him that I would no longer be purchasing any more Sightron products and would find another manufacturer with tighter specs.

The warranty manager (US) emailed me back and advised that she would be sending me a new pair of binos. Nice touch, great service however doesn't deal with the potential issues of the low manufacturing specs. I suspect that when the new pair arrives, it will have the same issue. Time will tell I guess...

Anyway, I have several Sightron scopes- from SII up to SIII and love them all.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
the scopes are great, the binos aren't quite up to the standards of their better scope models. I have a set of 8x42 SII binos, lots of play in the ocular lens framework. If you press the glasses up against your eyes, there is actually play in the lenses, they move as much as an eighth or more inches with little pressure. Thinking the binos were damaged or faulty, I sent them back to Sightron for repair. Sightron got back to me several weeks later to advise that the binos were 'in spec' and were not going to be repaired or replaced. I waited two or more weeks for them to be shipped back, finally emailed the Canadian distributor to ask where they were. Also politely told him that I would no longer be purchasing any more Sightron products and would find another manufacturer with tighter specs.

The warranty manager (US) emailed me back and advised that she would be sending me a new pair of binos. Nice touch, great service however doesn't deal with the potential issues of the low manufacturing specs. I suspect that when the new pair arrives, it will have the same issue. Time will tell I guess...

Anyway, I have several Sightron scopes- from SII up to SIII and love them all.

I have the same exact pair of binoculars I won as a door prize. I was impressed after I found out they only cost $100.00.