Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 08:19 AM

To the OP:

Member 300magman has a stainless T3x in 6.5 x 55 on the buy and sell right now for $800.

This would be a great start and lifetime rifle, and a very good deal.

Last edited by brewster29; 06-06-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronick87 View Post
You may think you know what you want for a hunting rifle but things mostly will change over the years - I am diagnosed with chronic GAS\MGPD (gun acquisition syndrome\multiple gun personality dissorder).

It's been really hard on my marriage but she's learning to be less of a b*tch about it.

If you can conquer your fears, I would consider looking for a used rifle on the equipment exchange here or Cgn, or even townpost. You will save at least 20% if you do your part.

Most guns on the equipment exchange are there because people buy guns and realize they really aren't into that particular chambering\configuration or don't have enough time for it. A lot of times, it's because a new cartridge in 6.5 has been released. I'm in the works with Hornady to develop a 270 creedmoor - it's basically a 270 but with a 2° shoulder change, a shorter neck, and the creedmoor stamping. The best part is that it's flatter than the 270 win by .5 inches at 1000 yards. Now that's forward thinking eh?!? it's a bullet proof idea. Pun intended
Anyway, I digress.

The risk is that you may not always know what gun you're getting; people abuse them, work em hard and put them away wet. I've seen people at the gun range cool their barrels by plunging it into the snow banks followed by a self-defecate into their tactical pants.

My rule of thumb is spend more than half your budget on your scope first, and then spend your remaining budget on the BOLT rifle. Your optics are the most important piece of equipment in the field. Anyone who says otherwise is a barrel plunger ^

Go to your local gun shop, ask the salesman to let you fondle a few rifles and see what fits in your hands the best. If the salesman is being lazy and hesitant about it, go to the next gun shop. If they try and tell you that one is better than the other because it's chambered in 6.5 and not 270 or 308, ask him if he plunges his barrel or wears diapers.

Savage axis, Remington 783, Ruger American - they will go bang every time and put bullets on paper just as much as any other rifle would. The big differences are fit and finish. You may get the occasional bad shooter from the budget rifle but the fancier rifles are not immune to a poor assembly either. As mentioned before, it's a Ford vs Chevy debate at this point. I've had stainless Tikka's come from the factory with rust on the bottom, WeatherBug vanguard's that didn't shoot their sub moa guarantee, and I've also had 783:s shoot clover leafs with cheap factory ammo.

There is no such thing as the best all around rifle cartridge or the best rifle.
Each cartridge and rifle has an application in which it will excel in.

Except the 270 creedmoor. Guys, you have no idea.

As for the inferior 308 and 270;

On average, A 270 will hit harder at 500yds by about 100ft-lbs but at 100 yds, the 308 hits harder by 100ft-lb. The 270 Catches up with the 308 around the 400yd mark.

The 270 will be flying much flatter than the 308 at all ranges after maximum point blank

Enjoy this massive overflow of information.
I apologise for throwing everything out there at once.
And as I've mentioned before, take my own advice with a grain of salt.
This will be your hunting set-up
Not mine.

Best of luck.

This is good advice. However, I don’t share the same dislike of 6.5 creedmoor, it is an efficient cartridge. I guess I best be checkin if I’m wearing a diaper?? Haha. I also have 3 308’s, as it is also an efficient cartridge, very versatile as well, LOTS of projectile options.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 AM

Get one within your budget range get a 30 ought 6 or 270 be the only rifle you ever need in Alberta and you can get ammo anywhere

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Banned

see if you can shoot a few different somewhere? recoil sensitivity could be a thing down the road, i always hated shooting 150 grains or more of lead regardless what of the standard big game cartridges were propelling it (.308 base cartridges and up) but 140 grains i seem to be fine with even out of magnums, so clearly prefer a sharper faster recoil than the bigger push of the heavier lead

with todays choices of bullets it's not hard to find quality big game options in the 120-140 grain range just in case you also find a similar sensitivity?

i have a really lightweight .270 that recoils with 140's at nearly 22 ft/lbs...shoot it great, but give me a .308 running 150's at 17 ft/lbs and i hate it, and the hate grows with the 165's and 180's...

when you look at a creedmoor, it takes all the attributes of all the .308/30-06 based cartridges and rolls them up into one super versatile/efficient package...including recoil!

so...personally i'd steer you away from the .30 cal's

Byronick87...nice moves, that could be a seller for the hunting crowd for sure. The .270 short...for some reason the .308 case never did grab a .270 option and go, i guess the 7-08 just too close and already popular. Some new 150's in that 270 CM and it would be pretty sweet. What about a 7 CM with 168's though? Yikes...applying the formula to all the short action options sure does look appealing. Recoil is a thing to watch for though as those boolits get up past 150.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:11 AM

My only advice would be to steer away from the entry and mid level vortex optics.

Personally I would look at a Leupold VX1, Minox, or Nikon Prostaff 5
Old 06-07-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
X2 this is a great choice, I would top it with a Leupold, but a Burris, or a bushnell would also work great!
Old 06-08-2020, 04:25 PM

I wrestled with the exact same question this time last year, it was my first year hunting and wanted an entry-level rife w/ scope. I used to compete in sport shooting competitions with everything from 22LR to .303 but it had been 15 years since I had fired a shot (work, money, etc).

I did my research and what I came back with is that it all comes down to a few things:

1) What are you planning to hunt? For me, the answer was deer & elk.
2) Where are you hunting? Are you in wide-open fields where you may want the extra accuracy? Or are you in forested areas? For me, it's forested mostly.
3) What are your ammo options? Is the grain size you want available? Do you want different grains for different hunts? For me, yes.

I posed these questions to all my friends, colleagues, and firearm store owners/staff.

I decided on going with a nice, inexpensive Savage Axis 2 in 308. The reasons are:
- I felt the 308 round fit my planned hunting, shorter distances, higher confidence in taking down larger game, and bullet weight options. Plus as a step up from the 303, I was comfortable with the 30cal rounds
- It has a nice composite stock with stainless steel barrel.
- The Bushnell scope is a decent 3x9 which performs not too bad in low light.
- The weight balance felt good in any position, standing, kneeling or prone.

I spent $675 on it and had lots of leftover cash to buy ammo, a nice case, a comfortable sling, cleaning kit, lock, ammo box, deer/elk calls and hunting clothing.

Before the season started I went out over 4 weekends and sent 80 rounds down range. By the end I was hiting an 10-inch gong at 200 yards 9 out of 10 times from prone.

Take your time to think what is best suited for where and what you're hunting.

Best of luck this year!
Old 06-09-2020, 12:14 AM

I remember the search for my first big game rifle and wish I had taken more advice at that time. But the online reading and attraction for longer range energy influenced me.
Put a lot of stock in what guys like cat and elkhunter11 have to say!

I remember hearing so many times to get a 308 and for some strange reason I had an unwarranted distaste for the 308. Ended up getting a 300 wsm. Have since sold it. Excellent rifle but got tired of the abuse on the range. I like to practice on paper.
If I was starting over again, knowing how I hunt and what I like to shoot I would probably get what I carry now: a 7mm-08 or 30-06
(Anything similar will be equally effective if you can shoot it well)
30-06 can be on the high end for recoil tolerance for many.
I still am in the camp of “hate the 270 for NO REASON” (there are a great many of us that can not explain why) but it is also outstanding. Not sure how I can ballistic tables on my 7mm-08 and not like the 270 lol.
.007 inch difference in diameter bullet will not be noticed by game.

Based on my howa I think those weatherby vanguards sound awesome. I love what Tikka brings to the table for the price (all long actions so may be an argument to only buy it in long action anyway) I wouldn’t be getting into Remington or savage (sometimes they shoot lights out) even though they can be excellent options on a budget.
Factory ammo availability is nice even though I reload.
Cartridges like 30-06, 308, 270, all have endless factory ammo options. Throwing in the 280, 7mm-08, 6.5x55 (may as well include the popular 6.5 creedmoor) will also be very effective.

Keep in mind, no matter the big game hunting you do, you very likely will not be taking a multitude of shots beyond 300m. It just is not as frequent as you might anticipate

Good luck. Have fun.
If I were stuck with one rifle, a tikka 30-06 with leupold 3-9 (or 3.5-10, 4x, 6x) would not be lacking in anything I want to shoot in our wonderful province.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:47 AM

Don’t by a creedmore or a savage and all will be fine lol

Joking aside a moderate to low recoil caliber like most are suggesting is the smart way to go. As for brands it would be a great idea to shoulder a few brands/models to see how they feel in your hands

I would suggest a good look at the 270win because it’s a versatile caliber with readily available ammo that won’t break the bank and moderate recoil. The tika’s are a nice shooting rifle and I personally like the rugers as well but at ton of options out there
Old 06-09-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
This is good advice. However, I don’t share the same dislike of 6.5 creedmoor, it is an efficient cartridge. I guess I best be checkin if I’m wearing a diaper?? Haha. I also have 3 308’s, as it is also an efficient cartridge, very versatile as well, LOTS of projectile options.
No disrespect intended to the 6.5 fans
You can't argue that it is indeed efficient like any other 6.5 cartridge.
I'm just not fond of the 6.5 is the be all end all crowd.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:04 PM

When I was in university I bought a .270 win Savage 111. The gun was great, but it never fit quite right. I eventually sold it and bought others. If I were to go back I'd have spent a little more for something that fit right. The calibre is not all that important, to be honest. I'm not a reloder so I like common cartridges, but between a 270 a 308 and most of the other common cartridges around the same size they all do the same thing and it will take you a lot of shooting to notice the small differences in their ballistics for it to ever matter. Buy what fits your shoulder. The rest are all small details that are way too overthought.

Incidentally, I have a .270 Win Weatherby Vanguard 2 in stainless for sale with a vortex viper on it and within your stated budget. PM me if it interests you.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:08 AM

Look at your local shops and see what ammo selection you have. If your in Calgary it might not matter. But locally I have more 270 options than 308. Makes it nicer when you know you don't have to make an ammo run to the city to try new kinds.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:09 PM

There was a 270 tikka t3 that came and went pretty quick for about $650 or 670 the other day. Deals like that are out there if you’re looking and waiting and ready to jump at. That plus a used bushnell 3200 (or newer) or used vx2 or similar should be able to get you right around that budget you’ve set. I will say I’ve noticed a significant difference in optical quality from the vx2 to vx3 and vx3i line and would put the extra money into the 3 or 3i
Old 06-11-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronick87 View Post
I'm just not fond of the 6.5 is the be all end all crowd.
Me too, it gets real old real fast, and I own several rifles in 6.5 and actually rebarrelled one of my match rifles to 6.5 Creedmooor.

I look at all the ballyhoo about the 6.5's ( the creedmoor in particular) cannot for the life of me figure out what it is all about, except that either the guys are either selling something or simply just do not have enough experience to realize that it will only do so much, and that the main difference is the nut behind the bolt.
I love the 6.5X55 personally, but my main hunting rifle is in a cartridge nowhere near it ballistics wise!
Cat
Old 06-11-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Me too, it gets real old real fast, and I own several rifles in 6.5 and actually rebarrelled one of my match rifles to 6.5 Creedmooor.

I look at all the ballyhoo about the 6.5's ( the creedmoor in particular) cannot for the life of me figure out what it is all about, except that either the guys are either selling something or simply just do not have enough experience to realize that it will only do so much, and that the main difference is the nut behind the bolt.
I love the 6.5X55 personally, but my main hunting rifle is in a cartridge nowhere near it ballistics wise!
Cat
Now you've got me thinking of hunting this fall with a 30-30
Old 06-11-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Now you've got me thinking of hunting this fall with a 30-30
You should!
Perfect example of a cartridge that at one time was considered one of the greats, but now is " no good", "only a 150 yard cartridge", and "under powered for anything bigger than a deer at 500 yards" .
All these quotes are from shooters I have spoken with in the last year that consider themselves good hunters, and all were shooting super braked up magnum rifles but also shot the most popular 6.5 cartridge these days!
Animals haven't gotten tougher, and nit is not hard to find an animal at 150 yards either.
Cat
Old 06-14-2020, 09:38 AM

I don’t know the seller and can’t say how a deal would go (does have trader rating of 19 with 100%), but this image will show what kind of deals are available on Canadian gun nutz. If you’re not there, you should be. Way more guns posted there.
Now it appears he doesn’t know the whole story about this particular rifle and likely isn’t the original owner, so one would wonder why sell the gun. But I’ve bought guns like that and they were amazingly accurate and perfectly functioning. Just stuff to consider.
I think these particular guns are a little on the heavy side and it seems that’s the reason for this for sale. Not uncommon for guys to say they “upgraded to a tikka” when starting with savage axis, vanguard, mossberg, etc.
But within your budget, you can definitely find what you’re looking for.
I would recommend handling some in a store first so you know what you like and don’t like.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:11 AM

Buy a good used one for sure. If you don't trust the trader ratings on here or CGN there are still lots of options. You don't need to buy one of the cheaper guns to get a great deal. Bashaw sports sells a ton of used guns, good prices and they will tell you straight what shape it is in. You can also buy from Tradex, top quality Husqvarna Mauser action rifle for 500-600 bucks. Ellwood Epps is another place with a great selection of quality used guns at very reasonable prices.

Do a bunch of shopping and you will find a really good deal on a gun. Same is true of scopes, a used Leupold, because they have the transferable lifetime warranty is nothing to be afraid of and you can save significant dollars over new. I would NOT buy Nikon as they no longer have any warranty coverage at all.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up with.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Yes, excellent point on those retailers. Bashaw sports, trade ex Canada, and prophet river have all been more helpful than I could ask with describing condition and sending photos.
Nothing wrong with those old guns haha. It’s what I tend to prefer. Definitely less daunting buying used from a reputable retailer. Good private deals are had every day but it’s important to ask questions (and sometimes need to know enough about the particular gun or scope to know what questions to ask)