Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 05:57 PM

Default Draw priority for kids

Anybody else have grandchildren that will be old enough to hunt on the partner tags when they should come up? I am thinking it will be fun in 4+ years. Youngest one so far should be old enough for an antelope about the same time as I should have the priority to be drawn....he is 1😀
Old 06-04-2020, 08:28 PM

I知 now a 12 for bull moose, next yr my boy turns 12. A year or two we might be able to pull a tag.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:20 PM

How old can u start putting in points for the kids ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2020, 01:22 PM

You can put in for your kids once they are 11 and will turn 12 before the current season is over.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-06-05_13-24-20.jpg (4.9 KB, 395 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 01:59 PM

I remember thinking the same thing and now I知 going antelope hunting this year ... and get drawn for something every year
Old 06-05-2020, 04:23 PM

Its all changed this year .. you have to buy a hunting licence first before you can apply for a draw . And for those new hunters I guess they have to take the course before they can buy a hunting licence.

Hopefully this will give some of us a chance to get the draw.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 PM

I am thinking about using the youth partner tag when they are old enough and meet the requirements. Once they have their own WIN, they can accumulate their own priority. This will give them a chance at a moose, antelope etc while they are starting out.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:19 PM

My eldest turned 12 this year already. Completed the hunter Ed course, purchased wildlife certificate and will be putting in for priority this month.
New for this year, a partner tag for youth and seniors can be purchased on your drawn special licence. So that means without any priority and without the need to do a group draw, she値l be able to shoot what I draw. I値l pull the antlerless mule deer draw back where I grew up and she can shoot one at the property I roamed since her age. Gonna be better than shooting it myself
I致e got a few draws I can pull in zones I hunt.
The interest the kids show in hunting gives me so much more energy for the effort to get out and teach them what there is to enjoy. Feels like I知 entering a new stage to the adventure
Old 06-05-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
My eldest turned 12 this year already. Completed the hunter Ed course, purchased wildlife certificate and will be putting in for priority this month.
New for this year, a partner tag for youth and seniors can be purchased on your drawn special licence. So that means without any priority and without the need to do a group draw, she値l be able to shoot what I draw. I値l pull the antlerless mule deer draw back where I grew up and she can shoot one at the property I roamed since her age. Gonna be better than shooting it myself
I致e got a few draws I can pull in zones I hunt.
The interest the kids show in hunting gives me so much more energy for the effort to get out and teach them what there is to enjoy. Feels like I知 entering a new stage to the adventure

Good for you Kujo. My boys are younger (3 and 5), and I can稚 wait to partner them on my draws when they turn 12.

I echo your feeling that it is like reliving my childhood to bring the youngsters out. We had pretend bow hunt at the 3D archery range the other day, and they (and I) had an absolute blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2020, 10:49 PM

My son turns 12 this year and I have been saving my moose draw for him for the past 6 years. I now a 10 and plan on pulling it with the intention of him shooting it. He痴 completed the hunters Ed, got his win number and a new .308 he痴 been practicing with. I figure if he shoots one this year he will be an adult by the time he pulls another tag. ( or very close to ). Younger boy is now 9 and gramps is a priority 9 and saving it for him. That being said I have been extremely fortunate to fill my general moose tag most years in the bow zone.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Default Grandkids

I'm building priority for these young fellas. They absolutely love hunting and fishing. Makes a guy feel little younger to see there passion and do things for the first time.

IMG_1881.jpg
Old 06-09-2020, 12:36 AM

Oh man, I love reading this.
I used to teach Hunter Ed. I never pushed it with my kids. I truly believe they want our attention first and foremost and if we give them that and show them what there is to enjoy in the outdoors, they too will love what it provides us. Case in point, if you ever want to remember how exciting fire can be, go have a campfire with a 4 year old boy hahaha.

I知 going to follow this thread in hopes there are updates along the way in hunting season.

As always, keep safety paramount. They watch us and may not understand we were checking that the gun was unloaded (much like not realizing we did check both ways before crossing the street so they can not just bolt across without looking). I happen to have zero tolerance with unloaded guns being handled in the hunting group in any manner other than muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times.

Cheers
Old 06-09-2020, 06:54 AM

Two of my last three draw tags were filled by new hunters and the third was offered to a youth to partner with, but the young man and his father couldn't make it out, so I filled that one myself. A good friend's son is 17 this year, so after this year, he is done with youth partner licenses.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:58 AM

My son when he turned twelve partnered on bull moose
Mule deer buck antalope an turkey. He also shot a black bear white tail deer an bull elk.