Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2020, 06:32 AM

On Robbie Burns Day a friend and I took in the event at Willow Park Wines and Spirits. It was a great time - made greater by the fact that retiring scotch guru David blew away the event budget and set out some great scotch for us all! Three of them stood out:

*Jura 7 Wood: toffee and cinnamon, some smoke but not overbearing. First time for me - won't be the last.

*Aberfeldy 21: caramel and nuts, incredibly accessible flavor. First time for me and would have bought a bottle there if they weren't sold out - best of the night. Looking on Liquor Connect for other carriers.

*Old Pulteney 18: vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. I tried this right after the Aberfeldy so it got second place, although it also warrants a future purchase.

David's "retirement party" is on the 21st - if you like scotch I encourage you to try and get a ticket to this. It'll be great.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
On Robbie Burns Day a friend and I took in the event at Willow Park Wines and Spirits. It was a great time - made greater by the fact that retiring scotch guru David blew away the event budget and set out some great scotch for us all! Three of them stood out:

*Jura 7 Wood: toffee and cinnamon, some smoke but not overbearing. First time for me - won't be the last.

*Aberfeldy 21: caramel and nuts, incredibly accessible flavor. First time for me and would have bought a bottle there if they weren't sold out - best of the night. Looking on Liquor Connect for other carriers.

*Old Pulteney 18: vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. I tried this right after the Aberfeldy so it got second place, although it also warrants a future purchase.

David's "retirement party" is on the 21st - if you like scotch I encourage you to try and get a ticket to this. It'll be great.
Thanks for the tip. Looking into it.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:42 PM

Well, as it seems that many of us are going to be spending quite a bit more time at home I thought this thread needed to roll around to the top again.

I figured I'd post the last 3 bottles I opened....I've been going into my stock rather than to the store for the most part recently, so I have a bottle of 15 year old Macallan on the go, an 18 year old 1995 Glendronach Tawny Port cask, and a 1990 Balblair second release (I can't say how much I love that one, still have 10 unopened).....

And yesterday, I came across 2 bottles of 25 year old Bowmore Small Batch, at a very good price. It's discontinued now apparently, and I've seen at $450-550, so didn't feel compelled to get one. But this was under $300, so I thought 'why not? ' and got one. Haven't opened it yet, but I suspect I will soon. I also have the urge to open a Macallan 18 Sherry Cask, as I thought I only had 2 but actually had 3....happy day!

As I posted elsewhere, I believe drinking good whisky (in moderation. Somewhat) is a preventative for the Covid-19 virus. If I get it anyway, I will drink good whisky as a curative. If that doesn't work, well, I will have enjoyed thoroughly some damn fine whisky before my demise.

Cheers, gentlemen!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 AM

Just had a wee dram of my Oban Distillers’ Edition that a buddy brought back from Scotland for me, last night.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 PM

I got talked into a Glenrothes Single Cask at vintage today (ok, I got a nice taster and that was all it took). It is Cask 9243, distilled in 2005 and bottled in 2017, one of 587 bottles done for Willow Park (they bought the cask). For a cask strength of 66.7 % avb, it is surprisingly smooth for a 12 year old! You wouldn't think it was that stout, maybe a high forties the way it noses and how it rolls on the palate. A drop of water tames it nicely. Lots of sweet sherry here, rich brandied orchard fruit, plum and dark cherry, and a strong finish of spice on the back end, cinnamon hearts and pepper. A great dram, very bold, maybe not as balanced as I'd like on that finish as it is hot....but very good all the same.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-02-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I got talked into a Glenrothes Single Cask at vintage today (ok, I got a nice taster and that was all it took). It is Cask 9243, distilled in 2005 and bottled in 2017, one of 587 bottles done for Willow Park (they bought the cask). For a cask strength of 66.7 % avb, it is surprisingly smooth for a 12 year old! You wouldn't think it was that stout, maybe a high forties the way it noses and how it rolls on the palate. A drop of water tames it nicely. Lots of sweet sherry here, rich brandied orchard fruit, plum and dark cherry, and a strong finish of spice on the back end, cinnamon hearts and pepper. A great dram, very bold, maybe not as balanced as I'd like on that finish as it is hot....but very good all the same.

Your real name is Sebastian, you drive a Volvo, have a closet full of turtlenecks and tweed sports jackets, and make hefty annual contributions to the local symphony.

Am I close? 😁
Old 04-02-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Your real name is Sebastian, you drive a Volvo, have a closet full of turtlenecks and tweed sports jackets, and make hefty annual contributions to the local symphony.

Am I close? 😁
So close it is frightening. My name is actually Serge, and I drive a Renault, but the rest is spot on....

Old 04-02-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
So close it is frightening. My name is actually Serge, and I drive a Renault, but the rest is spot on....

Baaahaaaa. You don't pronounce it like Surge either i bet. More of a Sairjje. Little jaw action at the end to add some flamboyance??
Old 04-02-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Baaahaaaa. You don't pronounce it like Surge either i bet. More of a Sairjje. Little jaw action at the end to add some flamboyance??
Right again! Like that character in Beverly Hills Cop, who worked in the art gallery...remember that guy?

Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Right again! Like that character in Beverly Hills Cop, who worked in the art gallery...remember that guy?

Lol. The Get Out of the City twink. Bronson Pinchot.

Last edited by 270person; 04-02-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Just cracked open this Tomatin 14 Port Cask. I must say it is a decent dram! Lots of grape and berries with a hint of vanilla in there too. I do really enjoy a port cask finished whisky!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FA98B08E-22D7-4998-A324-D25CB667A9A8.jpg (34.4 KB, 20 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-10-2020, 02:24 PM

I am happy with the the 20 year old Glen Deveron and the 10 year old Glenmorangie, (that's as peatier as I want to get)
Old 04-10-2020, 04:22 PM

I am thinking about opening an 18 year old Macallan Sherry Cask this weekend, I have had some stashed for a few years now and think it may be time. My self isolated self is weak.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I am thinking about opening an 18 year old Macallan Sherry Cask this weekend, I have had some stashed for a few years now and think it may be time. My self isolated self is weak.
I can be there in 3 hours give or take, will self-isolate and drink through the window. nom nom nom
Old 04-10-2020, 04:46 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Do it my friend!! What better time than now...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-10-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
I can be there in 3 hours give or take, will self-isolate and drink through the window. nom nom nom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Do it my friend!! What better time than now...
True friends! I'd share with you both.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:27 AM

Just finished the bottle of 16 year old scapa that I got from twisted Canuck last year ... I’ve been pretty good at not being a pig with it , but this quarantine has got me doing a lot of dabbling into the stash . Thanks again twisted ! Scapa 16 RIP.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
Just finished the bottle of 16 year old scapa that I got from twisted Canuck last year ... I’ve been pretty good at not being a pig with it , but this quarantine has got me doing a lot of dabbling into the stash . Thanks again twisted ! Scapa 16 RIP.
Glad you got to enjoy it. I finished the last 3 fingers of mine about a month ago with some friends. There isn't any more around, so remember it well!

Old 04-11-2020, 10:43 AM

Just picked up a Dalmore cigar malt. Was on sale at Willow Park Liquor store's online sales. Haven't cracked it yet. Anyone tried it?
Old 04-11-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Just picked up a Dalmore cigar malt. Was on sale at Willow Park Liquor store's online sales. Haven't cracked it yet. Anyone tried it?
That's been in my cabinet a couple of times, I really enjoyed it. It is one of my favorite Dalmores. What was sale price like?

Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I killed a bottle of that last summer. I really liked it too!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 04-11-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I killed a bottle of that last summer. I really liked it too!
Good to hear! Looking forward to pouring a nice big dram.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
That's been in my cabinet a couple of times, I really enjoyed it. It is one of my favorite Dalmores. What was sale price like?
Think the regular price was about $144. I got it for $114 including tax etc.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Think the regular price was about $144. I got it for $114 including tax etc.
Wow, excellent price! Wonder if they deliver to GP?

Old 04-11-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Wow, excellent price! Wonder if they deliver to GP?
Hahaha! They deliver in Calgary, $8 charge. G P total price including delivery would probably cost more than the regular price??
Old 06-05-2020, 08:38 PM

Anyone try Lagavulin 8 year. I like my Islays, this sounds a little young, but many reviews compare it to the 16. I personally think there is alot more to whisky than age, but age costs money weather it's a quality product or not.
I picked up a bottle at super store for 64.00 most places it's around 90.00 if it's good I might grab a case. I should of bought 10 cases of laphroaig quarter cask when it was 38.00 at superstore!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:59 PM

I've tried the Lagavullin 8, it's actually very nice and compares favorably to the 16, but you can tell it is younger. Less smooth, more forward on the palate, finish isn't as developed or as long. But very good. I've also got the 12 year old in my cabinet, and the 9 year old Game of Thrones addition. The GOT is probably my favorite of them all, I stashed a couple extra away. A superb dram. The 12 is also a dandy.

Basically I haven't met a Lagavullin I didn't like!

And you are so right about the Quarter Cask....I just always thought it was going to be a $40 bottle. Fool!!! I would also have put a couple cases away.

Edit: you helped me decide what to sip this evening while I read....sealed on the cask strength 12. So nice.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-05-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the reply twisted! Poured a couple fingers this evening. I agree with your take on the 8 year. Not as smooth, refined, complex. But it's much better and has more character than I thought was possible in a whisky just 8 years old. The only thing I didnt like was the color, just not used to a whisky that pale. Dont know if I'll buy a case but I'll buy a couple bottles for sure.

I support our local Alberta and canadian distilleries, but Rye whisky just doesnt replace the distinct Islay flavor that I enjoy. Is there any Canadian companies that produce a peated Rye whisky. Could that be a thing? I'm about to do a google search.
Brad
Old 06-05-2020, 10:25 PM

Color is sometimes a fake, not unlike makeup on a 'pretty' girl. Caramel color adds flavor too unfortunately. A light clear Islay doesn't bother me much, Ardbegs are all very much like that.

As for age, keep in mind the Octomore are 5 year whiskeys (other than the 10 year old edition, which I can't bring myself to open yet), and they have piles of character! Also, the Kavalan Solist whiskies are all 5, but matured in a tropical climate, and they are stunningly good. And, I've had a couple forgettable 20+ year old whisky too. That number sometimes means something, and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not familiar with any peated rye, but I would try some if somebody made it, just on principle.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:09 PM

Default $38 Quarter Casks & Islay

Oh man I cant believe I didnt buy more of those when they were around 40 dollars, I shake my head every time I cruise past the whisky's.

I haven't tried the Laga 8 yr, but I have had the 2008, 2009, 2012, and I believe 2015 bottlings of the 12 CS. Simply crazy, blows their sherried(?) and mixed down 16 year out of the water. Would have liked to try the 25 yr, but work has been slow for a while now.

I will vouch for Kilchoman though, they did a 1/4 cask which was quite nice, and the Machir Bay has been drained a few times around this house. They also have some sherried cask strength offerings, try to get #454 if you dont like a light coloured Islay😎