Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 08:41 AM

Default Jontay Porter - Toronto Raptors - Banned For Life

Get's a life time ban from the NBA for illegal betting on NBA games, another entitled athlete falls for game fixing ........... more to follow, the lure of quick big money claims another victim.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:45 AM

With the likes of Gretzky peddling online sports betting so hard… one has to believe there is lots of illegal activity around sports gambling.

The stupid athletes bet themselves. The smart ones have proxies betting for them.

A key player can let up, miss a few goals, take bad penalties, do a myriad of things to sway the odds to lose.

Sports as we know it are already suspect with reffing and lackadaisical effort.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-18-2024, 08:59 AM

This guy has made over $2m playing and yet will risk it to win $20K? of course he could also be accepting side money to influence the game. As much as I detest all the in your face ads , and I do particapte now and then, it was because of the regulations and over sight on the legal gambling that this guy got caught. It was the bookmakers that alerted the NBA of the possible shennanigans. Makes you wonder how much of this has gone on in the past.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
This guy has made over $2m playing and yet will risk it to win $20K? of course he could also be accepting side money to influence the game. As much as I detest all the in your face ads , and I do particapte now and then, it was because of the regulations and over sight on the legal gambling that this guy got caught. It was the bookmakers that alerted the NBA of the possible shennanigans. Makes you wonder how much of this has gone on in the past.
Wasnt it a half million bet that got flagged though? Like the suspicions started when a bet was placed about how many minutes a bench player would be getting, and then he pulled himself from the game.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:30 AM

You are correct however that larger bet was made by his associates who he tipped off he was hurt. That person then made a prop bet that he would be under a certain point total in a game ( I think it was 7.5) and of course he was under after he pulled himself from the game early saying he was hurt. That was the activity that the bookmakers told the league smelled bad. The $20k I referred to was the profit from his own wagers on other games including his team when he was not playing that the league uncovered in it's investigation. The gambling sites never like to lose especially when the fix is in.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:27 PM

Default A story as old as the 1929 World Series

Besides Shoeless Joe Jackson, the whole team was in on it.

So why is anyone acting suprised now?

Coaches can decide a line change at a bad time, or putting in players who hate each other, or any manner of decisions to throw a game. No one will ever know about it.

Then there are the players working together....

Drewski
Old 04-18-2024, 07:30 PM

Imagine how much money can be made when a top NHL teams plays a bottom hugger and the top team plays lame and loses.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-18-2024, 08:36 PM

You can be guilty of sexual assault, beat your wife or kids but for the love of god DO NOT BET.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
With the likes of Gretzky peddling online sports betting so hard… one has to believe there is lots of illegal activity around sports gambling.
My opinion of Gretzky's character dropped when he started that crap. What happened to being a role model hockey hero for a whole generation of young fans back in his heyday. I doubt he really needs the money.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
You are correct however that larger bet was made by his associates who he tipped off he was hurt. That person then made a prop bet that he would be under a certain point total in a game ( I think it was 7.5) and of course he was under after he pulled himself from the game early saying he was hurt. That was the activity that the bookmakers told the league smelled bad. The $20k I referred to was the profit from his own wagers on other games including his team when he was not playing that the league uncovered in it's investigation. The gambling sites never like to lose especially when the fix is in.
You do have to wonder why he would tip him off... paying off a debt???? Pure speculation, but...

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.