Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 09:38 AM

Exclamation Non-resident Draw Application

Hey guys, search didn't come up with much info.

Anyways I got drawn for my Muley Buck in 305 last year (2019).
So in doing that my cousin from Victoria BC wants to come out and hunt. Looking at the regs it seems there is only male animals he can harvest. And in doing so, most are on a draw.

Curious how to go about applying for draws for non-residents?
I am applying for mine. We would go under 13 - Antlered Mule Deer.
On Alberta Relm the only option is to add members. Do I add him as a member and vice versa?

Still kind of confused on this cause technically in 5 years we would be drawn at the same time and hunting my muley buck and his.
Is this how a group draw works or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2020, 09:43 AM

You add him on to your draw.

When the lowest member of the group has enough priority to draw, then both will be drawn together (and then you can host him).

Other ways to do it, but that's the plain and simple of it.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrooy View Post
Hey guys, search didn't come up with much info.

Anyways I got drawn for my Muley Buck in 305 last year (2019).
So in doing that my cousin from Victoria BC wants to come out and hunt. Looking at the regs it seems there is only male animals he can harvest. And in doing so, most are on a draw.

Curious how to go about applying for draws for non-residents?
I am applying for mine. We would go under 13 - Antlered Mule Deer.
On Alberta Relm the only option is to add members. Do I add him as a member and vice versa?

Still kind of confused on this cause technically in 5 years we would be drawn at the same time and hunting my muley buck and his.
Is this how a group draw works or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Yes you’ve got it. You’ll both draw tags at the same time.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 AM

Is that how group draws work?
All members will draw a tag at the same time and each one will be able to harvest an animal?

Or

Does he just apply for the draw on his end and build points and there is no group option?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
All members will draw a tag at the same time and each one will be able to harvest an animal?

Or

Does he just apply for the draw on his end and build points and there is no group option?
He needs to apply with a resident to build priority. And yes, when you apply together, both draw tags at the same time.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Or

A non-resident cannot apply on his own. He must be in with a resident and you can only have one Non resident per resident in a group. When a group gets drawn each person can buy one license. Not all have to buy but all drop back to zero priority.

Here is the link to the draw booklet, If you take the trouble to read through it all of this stuff is very well explained in it.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/387d...draws-2020.pdf

Quote:
A Non-resident (Canadian) must apply with a resident (maximum of 1 non-resident per resident), except for the Non-resident
Trophy Sheep draw. If successful in obtaining one of these special licences, the Non-resident must be accompanied by a licenced
Hunter Host while hunting. A Hunter Host may not charge or accept remuneration for services provided either directly or indirectly.
Please refer to the Outfitting and Guiding Requirements on page 45. NOTE: Non-resident Aliens are not eligible for any draws.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:27 AM

Yeah I read through both the draw booklet and the 2019 regulations. Even looked on My WildAlberta. Doesn't really go into great detail of how it works.
Kind of weird with the group draw thing I just don't understand. Common sense seems like he should be able to build priority points then get drawn as myself as the host. That way I could hunt my animal the year after or whenever instead of 2 animals at the same time?

I dunno haha. System seems weird to me that way.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah I read through both the draw booklet and the 2019 regulations. Even looked on My WildAlberta. Doesn't really go into great detail of how it works.
Kind of weird with the group draw thing I just don't understand. Common sense seems like he should be able to build priority points then get drawn as myself as the host. That way I could hunt my animal the year after or whenever instead of 2 animals at the same time?

I dunno haha. System seems weird to me that way.
Just the way it is. If he draws with someone else you can host him, but regardless of how he wants to hunt, he needs to apply and draw with a resident
Old 05-27-2020, 12:36 PM

It's pretty straight forward. Just do your draw and add him. He does need to have a WIN number so make sure of that. I have been adding my brother in law for the last 10 years but we never have time to do it. This year we might so looking at options.

Not sure if he has to buy wildife certificate as well or only the person applying?
Old 05-27-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
It's pretty straight forward. Just do your draw and add him. He does need to have a WIN number so make sure of that. I have been adding my brother in law for the last 10 years but we never have time to do it. This year we might so looking at options.

Not sure if he has to buy wildife certificate as well or only the person applying?
ALL people in a draw must have Wildlife Certificate.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the information fellas.

Just one more question. I applied tonight and got it all done. My understanding is that we will each get drawn at the same time and 2 tags will be given out.
How come only one of us pays the $3.83 fee and we both don't. That doesn't make sense.
If we are both to get drawn and given 2 tags should we not be paying 3.83 each?
Old 05-28-2020, 09:04 AM

You are paying per application. As both of you are on the same application, its one application charge.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Question

Old 05-28-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBeard View Post
I agree. I saw the ops latest post that you replied to even though it has now been deleted. Talk about how many Angel's can dance on the head of a pin. He either needs to get a life or is a troll. I try hard to help people who ask legit questions but this has deteriorate to drivel and inconsequential issues.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I agree. I saw the ops latest post that you replied to even though it has now been deleted. Talk about how many Angel's can dance on the head of a pin. He either needs to get a life or is a troll. I try hard to help people who ask legit questions but this has deteriorate to drivel and inconsequential issues.

Did I miss something?
Old 05-29-2020, 12:21 AM

Default Slight misunderstanding perhaps

Quote:
Did I miss something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
No Lerrooy, you did not really miss anything of value. What Dean2 is referring to is I replied to your posting with a question of my own on getting more clarity on group draws. However when I posted this on your thread I realized your title was titled "Non-resident Draw Application" which was not quite where my question was coming from, so I decided to delete my post on your thread and start a new one more specific to my topic rather than the "Non-Resident" part.

However, I quickly discovered I could not delete my post, so I edited it with a change of content from a question to a dude (as I could not post empty). That's all. so Dean2 viewed this as a slight-of-hand perhaps, but it was all legit from my vantage point.

To Dean2: I can assure you I am NOT a troll sir. Also I do have a life. Not sure where your comments like this come from and I had no intention on offending anyone, just did not want to "double" post anything and put my posted question in a kind-of-not-totally-related to non-resident question/thread. So many threads on here get quickly derailed with side topics/discussions unrelated to the OP, that I tried to avoid in this case. If you look at my new thread http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=382297, which I posted very shortly after my initial posting on this thread (where I quoted both Lerrooy and Rackmastr) from this thread. Anyways, there are no hard feelings on my end. Enjoy the forum like the rest of us

Thanks,
WB

If there is a way to delete a post can someone please let me know for next time
Old 05-29-2020, 06:37 AM

All good

Yeah I'm not sure.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-31-2020, 12:16 AM

And one thing that may be of value to you Lerrooy,
There is no sense in having a non AB res friend or family member continually in the draws to build P's, that exceed your P's.
Meaning, for our family, we have 2 non AB relatives that we have, in the past, added them to our P only draws, but they will always be a higher P than us AB residents, so they may as well sit it out for a while and let the rest of us catch up to them.
As when you / we do go for a draw, the lowest P is drawn anyways.
As specially now as they have to purchase their WC to enter a draw, and they will not hunt in that year.
One son in BC is P13 MDeer for example, others in our AB family are P7-10.

TBark

Last edited by TBark; 05-31-2020 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBeard View Post
No Lerrooy, you did not really miss anything of value. What Dean2 is referring to is I replied to your posting with a question of my own on getting more clarity on group draws. However when I posted this on your thread I realized your title was titled "Non-resident Draw Application" which was not quite where my question was coming from, so I decided to delete my post on your thread and start a new one more specific to my topic rather than the "Non-Resident" part.

However, I quickly discovered I could not delete my post, so I edited it with a change of content from a question to a dude (as I could not post empty). That's all. so Dean2 viewed this as a slight-of-hand perhaps, but it was all legit from my vantage point.

To Dean2: I can assure you I am NOT a troll sir. Also I do have a life. Not sure where your comments like this come from and I had no intention on offending anyone, just did not want to "double" post anything and put my posted question in a kind-of-not-totally-related to non-resident question/thread. So many threads on here get quickly derailed with side topics/discussions unrelated to the OP, that I tried to avoid in this case. If you look at my new thread http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=382297, which I posted very shortly after my initial posting on this thread (where I quoted both Lerrooy and Rackmastr) from this thread. Anyways, there are no hard feelings on my end. Enjoy the forum like the rest of us

Thanks,
WB

If there is a way to delete a post can someone please let me know for next time
Can't be done. However, one can edit their post within 30 mins of making it. You can effectively delete it by removing all your comments and replacing those comments with "..."