Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 11:03 AM

Default Looking for advice on a levelling kit and air bags for a new to me pick up.

Looking at buying a good used Dodge Ram 1500. Will be used for towing a travel trailer and boat. Just wondering what upgrades for better towing. Already have a 3500. Was thinking airbags in back and 2 inch levelling kit in front .
Old 06-03-2020, 11:14 AM

That is exactly what my brother did to his 1500 Dodge. When he first got it, we took it antelope hunting. Was fairly heavily loaded and it definitely squatted low in the rear, even with nothing on the hitch. When we got home I suggested we fix that before we headed north hunting for 3 weeks. Firestone airbags fixed the squat and the front leveling made the truck look a bunch better. It has worked great since then, even handles a small camper in the back with no issues.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:22 AM

Don’t put blocks into level the dodge. I installed bilstein 5100 shocks, they are adjustable. Put mine at 2.1” not the 2.8 avail. Perfectly level. Way better driving then the cheap shocks they have on there. I use airlift bags in springs on back for when i have heavy loads. Bought a compressor as well thru amazon. Once level done you will require to get an alignment. Good upgrade and looks good
Old 06-03-2020, 11:35 AM

Pixel is right about the Bilstien shocks. Put my first set on a 3/4 ton years ago. Now all pickups get new Bilsteins immediately after I buy the truck. The difference in the ride is amazing.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:47 PM
Banned

Please tell me more about these airbags. I have Bildstein shocks but my issue is the weight of my loads (bait) during trapping season. I'm putting in a ton of bait into my F150 and it's obviously hard on my suspension.

What options are available to deal with that kind of load?
Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Please tell me more about these airbags. I have Bildstein shocks but my issue is the weight of my loads (bait) during trapping season. I'm putting in a ton of bait into my F150 and it's obviously hard on my suspension.

There are two common types of inflatable airbags, sort of the same idea as air ride on a Greyhound or semi. One goes inside the coil springs the other is external. For a Ford I would do the in coil bags if it has coil rear springs, don't know if Ford uses leaf as I haven't owned a Ford pickup in decades.. Firestone is a great bag and reasonably priced. There are lots of cheap bags but not worth the work. I have never used a built in compressor, always just fill them externally cause I never found I had to air them up and down all that often. Ran 15 pounds of air empty and 45 with a med load. They level you back out and they also control body roll and sway in the wind under heavy loads. IF you Google it these are a ton of articles on them.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

I feel your pain! If you do get air bags look into getting a compressor installed as well, It’s not Necessary but when hauling bait or anything where your load may change as you take some out or load more in if you go to different butchers in one run it’s nice to be able to either pump some air in or exhaust some on the fly.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:01 PM

If you are going to be using the truck for towing and hauling I would not put the leveling kit in the front.

When the truck is loaded the leveling kit alters how the load is applied to the truck and actually reduces the weight on the front tires. this decreases breaking and steering control.

Trucks are designed so that when they have a load in the back or on a hitch they sit level.

Air bags in the back are great for reducing sag. however they do nothing for putting the weight back onto the front tires.

Air bags also do not increase the legal limit that your truck is aloud to haul. To find the legal limit look on the drivers door jam. There is a sticker that tells you your max payload.

The max payload is what the truck is aloud to haul legally. in addition to that you are aloud 150lbs for the driver and a full tank of fuel. Anything else on the truck takes away from your payload.
-mudflaps
-airbags
-passengers
-coffee
-etc

anything in the truck that was not there when it rolled off the assembly line is deducted from your payload.

this may affect you in your travels. In Alberta you do not have much to worry about. Unless you are in an accident and its determined that you are overweight.

When traveling in B.C. in a half ton towing expect to be pulled over and weighed. If you are overweight... have fun...
Old 06-03-2020, 02:24 PM

Take a look at Timbrens. They are easy to install, have no ,moving parts. I have them and like them.
Some people have problems with air suspension acting up in cold weather.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:27 PM

I put a set of load hog helper springs on my GMC 1500 last year to haul my Pioneer 500 sxs and am very pleased ,half the cost of air bags .I have had air bags before on a similar truck and they were good too but this is zero maintenance and as I said way cheaper and simple to install.
A little stiffer ride empty but not an issue.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:31 PM

I have the airlift 5000 lb bags on my ram 1500 and love them. I installed the compressor underneath the rear seat in the little cubby hole so its easy to access and adjust the pressure. I originally had the bags that go inside the springs however they developed leaks do to the spring rubbing on them so i purchased the larger ones for outside the springs. Also like others mentioned the bilstien shocks are the ones to get.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:50 PM

I have the Firestone air bags on F350 diesel. 3rd truck in a row I've had them on and they work great. New ones installed on my 2018 and got the compressor kit with a remote control. Super simple to adjust, set the pressure on the remote and it maintains it. One thing you need to watch for with air bags is maintaining min 5lbs pressure on the bags. If it goes to 0 you can break the seal on the line fittings and end up with a leak. Remote system is great to have for that.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Pixel is right about the Bilstien shocks. Put my first set on a 3/4 ton years ago. Now all pickups get new Bilsteins immediately after I buy the truck. The difference in the ride is amazing.
I also went Bilstein’s at 2.1 setting in the front. 3 years now and love it.
For the back I went with the Timbren bump stops to help when loaded. I like em.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 PM

Bilstien shocks are very good, but Trailer towing is helped most by air helper bags. I installed the firestone bags with onboard compressor myself, ordered online. Defiantly made the most difference. If you chose to haul a yard of topsoil or road crush in the bed, will defiantly feel the difference.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:45 PM

Another great brand for bags, compressors and controllers is Pacbrake.
I have Firestone bags in my 3500 that are 7500# rated mixed with the Pacbrake AMP controller and compressor.
Pacbrake AMP controller is a wireless system that works with an app on your phone and it works good.

https://pacbrake.com/product-lines/air-spring-controls/
Old 06-04-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Once level done you will require to get an alignment.
And don't forget to get the headlights adjusted as well!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:58 AM

I have a 2018 ram 1500 with boss air bags in the rear that sit beside the coil spring not like the firestone that sit inside the coil spring. I also used the Bilstein 5100 adjustable strut set a 2.1 and it sits level and tows my trailer level and safely
Old 06-04-2020, 09:03 PM

True story. First thing i learned the hard way lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
And don't forget to get the headlights adjusted as well!
Old 06-05-2020, 05:24 AM

Talking

Tidy tank has 130 gallons of diesel.
Digging bucket and mounding spade for a 200 sized Hoe.
I put new front progressive coils in the front.
Put new leaf springs in the back with one extra leaf.
Set of over load springs & brackets.
(Special Thanks to Standen Axle !)

Old 06-05-2020, 06:23 AM

On my F-150, Bilstein 6100 series in the front set to 2", 5100 series in rear with 1.5" taller blocks and Firestone airbags. That way I still have some rake to my truck which I like and when I toss my quad or anything else in there it will still sit level. My 4th truck with Firestoen airbags...wouldnt go without them.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:29 AM

There is one brand of bags that don't require the 5 psi minimum as it has an internal rubber jounce . I think it may be Airlift???? Maybe worth checking.

When I towed with my 150 I added a superspring overload on top. Really worked as described and only engaged when the weight called for it so it did not effect unladen driving . Would recommend highly. Set it and forget it. Adding the leaf does effect everyday driving. The airbags does provide for adjustabilty.

The Rams with the coils are really soft with payload low. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Tidy tank has 130 gallons of diesel.
Digging bucket and mounding spade for a 200 sized Hoe.
I put new front progressive coils in the front.
Put new leaf springs in the back with one extra leaf.
Set of over load springs & brackets.
(Special Thanks to Standen Axle !)

Man I miss my 79 Ford!

BW
Old 06-06-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Man I miss my 79 Ford!

BW
I love that truck. That is no grocery getter!!!!
Old 06-07-2020, 01:38 AM

I'm thinking of leveling my truck as well.
Any places that you guys would recommend in Calgary?
Cheers
Old 06-07-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronick87 View Post
I'm thinking of leveling my truck as well.
Any places that you guys would recommend in Calgary?
Cheers

https://standens.com/
Old 06-07-2020, 09:53 AM

http://www.4wheelparts.com/storeLoca...storeItem=1024

These guys sell parts but also have a very good shop. I haven't lived in Calgary for about 8 years but when I was there I had these guys do a fair amount of work. The parts and accessories pricing is usually pretty good to. They are down non 46 ave just East of Barlow.

4WP Calgary (Store #1024)

803 46 Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 2A5
Phone: 403-214-2145
Hours:
Monday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (Local Time)
Tuesday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (Local Time)
Wednesday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (Local Time)
Thursday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (Local Time)
Friday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (Local Time)
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. (Local Time)
Sunday: Closed