Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 01:00 PM

Default Alberta gun-owners won't be 'scapegoats' for Ottawa politicians, Kenney vows

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announced two new firearms-related initiatives Wednesday as part of the province's efforts to support law-abiding gun owners against measures imposed by the federal government.

The province will set up a firearms advisory committee and a special examination unit to be used in prosecuting gun crimes, Kenney told a news conference in Edmonton.

"Alberta has a long history of responsible firearms ownership — in fact, it goes back to the very beginning as a province," Kenney said.

"And be it hunting, sport shooting, or farmers and ranchers using guns for predator and pest control, while some people in faraway places like Toronto may not understand the reality, hundreds of thousands of Albertans are simply using firearms as part of everyday life.

"Those law-abiding Albertans should not be used as scapegoats for the actions of criminals by politicians in Ottawa."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...vows-1.5596541
Old 06-03-2020, 01:03 PM

TLDR: absolutely nothing to actually support firearms owners
Old 06-03-2020, 01:08 PM

Bold move. Is it enough?
Old 06-03-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltorro View Post
Bold move. Is it enough?
A step in the right direction.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltorro View Post
Bold move. Is it enough?
Which of these ideas do you find bold? The creation of a panel to talk in circles and then follow federal law at the end of the day? Or creating a program that doesn’t actually target the reason why Jordan applications are successful?

Of Kenney’s latest ideas on firearms and justice, none really have any substance at all.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
TLDR: absolutely nothing to actually support firearms owners
Really? That's what you got from this?
Old 06-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Really? That's what you got from this?
We already have pretty much the most gun friendly CFO, despite being federally appointed.

A committee to give people a place to voice concern over federal laws doesn’t really accomplish much since at the end of the day the CFO and the province still has to follow the Firearms Act. It’s going to be people complaining about the law, saying the province should take it over and getting told classification and licensing is still federal

A forensic unit to trace guns is great, but doesn’t really support owners. It might address a tiny part of the issue in getting cases to trial, but there is nothing there about addressing the shortage of prosecutors and judges
Old 06-03-2020, 01:32 PM

What do people expect Kenny to do? He can’t even get proper Heard in a proper Parliamentary process with our comrade In charge. I know a lot of people want Alberta to separate but driving to the hospital at a 100 mph because you cut your hand off might get you killed before you bleed to death.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
We already have pretty much the most gun friendly CFO, despite being federally appointed.

A committee to give people a place to voice concern over federal laws doesn’t really accomplish much since at the end of the day the CFO and the province still has to follow the Firearms Act. It’s going to be people complaining about the law, saying the province should take it over and getting told classification and licensing is still federal

A forensic unit to trace guns is great, but doesn’t really support owners. It might address a tiny part of the issue in getting cases to trial, but there is nothing there about addressing the shortage of prosecutors and judges

I think you're right. I don't see how this can change much for firearm owners.

That said, I do question if Alberta is big enough for it's own lab? If the RCMP already have forensics labs, wouldn't this just be a cost for Alberta we didn't have before?
Old 06-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

That said, I do question if Alberta is big enough for it's own lab? If the RCMP already have forensics labs, wouldn't this just be a cost for Alberta we didn't have before?
I think a forensic lab used to trace the origin of a firearm used in a crime would be a great tool to show the uselessness of the Liberals idiotic gun ban and may, just maybe shine the light on the real problem (assuming the "media" (?) we have these days would ever report the actual findings of the tracing procedure
Old 06-03-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I think a forensic lab used to trace the origin of a firearm used in a crime would be a great tool to show the uselessness of the Liberals idiotic gun ban and may, just maybe shine the light on the real problem (assuming the "media" (?) we have these days would ever report the actual findings of the tracing procedure
It’s not a new lab. They are spending $500k to expand testing that already happens in Alberta; Calgary has a lab and Edmonton is already getting one. Right now, rural forces have to send stuff to the RCMP and it’s apparent an eight month wait. That’s what they are aiming to solve, not show that guns are being incorrectly classified or dispute stats on the source of guns
Old 06-03-2020, 02:51 PM

I think that it's better than not saying anything, like BC, Manitoba or Ontario, They haven't said anything at all. Kenney is at least on the right track. Vote NDP and see how long you hang on to your firearms. Gone rather quickly I think.
So he is at least trying to do something, give him credit for that..
Old 06-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
I think that it's better than not saying anything, like BC, Manitoba or Ontario, They haven't said anything at all. Kenney is at least on the right track. Vote NDP and see how long you hang on to your firearms. Gone rather quickly I think.
So he is at least trying to do something, give him credit for that..
And curiously enough, nothing he’s proposing would help me keep my firearms either. If anything, he’s exposing us to a lot more risk by allowing the ruling party to appoint a CFO, instead of one that’s essentially impartial to the sitting provincial government
Old 06-03-2020, 03:08 PM

Ok say you were the premier of Alberta. What do you suggest.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:29 PM

I thought the plan was to appoint our own cfo?
Old 06-03-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Ok say you were the premier of Alberta. What do you suggest.
If I were the Premier I would (quietly) instruct my Solicitor General to issue directives to his Crown Prosecution Service to not prosecute any firearms violations before the courts involving the liberal's illegal gun bans or confiscations unless the firearms involved were used in the commission of a crime. Easy.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:32 PM

what i need to see is Kenney, holding his AR-15, saying
" Blair...Trudeau...if you want my AR, come get it. Otherwise, **** off"

When I see THAT from a politician, i will have their back

Until then, its just air from another scumbag
Old 06-03-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
And curiously enough, nothing he’s proposing would help me keep my firearms either. If anything, he’s exposing us to a lot more risk by allowing the ruling party to appoint a CFO, instead of one that’s essentially impartial to the sitting provincial government
BUT IT IS NOT IMPARTIAL TO A LIBERAL FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

duh
Old 06-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I wonder what Rachel would have done about the gun ban???
Old 06-03-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
If I were the Premier I would (quietly) instruct my Solicitor General to issue directives to his Crown Prosecution Service to not prosecute any firearms violations before the courts involving the liberal's illegal gun bans or confiscations unless the firearms involved were used in the commission of a crime. Easy.

that may well be coming and it is being put forward to some mla’ s and at least one has said they agree with that to me personally within the last 2 weeks
Old 06-03-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I would think, or like to think that's what he would do. It's too early yet in my mind to do that. But if we have our own CFO would he not take instruction from Alberta as opposed to Ottawa. We don't have an alternative, it's either Kenney or Notley, and I think Notley would not give a hoot about our guns, they'd be out the door as soon as Ottawa directed her to enforce the ban.
Regardless that we think Kenney could do more, he's at least looks like he's going to bat for us. No other choice as I see it.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announced two new firearms-related initiatives Wednesday as part of the province's efforts to support law-abiding gun owners against measures imposed by the federal government.

The province will set up a firearms advisory committee and a special examination unit to be used in prosecuting gun crimes, Kenney told a news conference in Edmonton.

"Alberta has a long history of responsible firearms ownership — in fact, it goes back to the very beginning as a province," Kenney said.

"And be it hunting, sport shooting, or farmers and ranchers using guns for predator and pest control, while some people in faraway places like Toronto may not understand the reality, hundreds of thousands of Albertans are simply using firearms as part of everyday life.

"Those law-abiding Albertans should not be used as scapegoats for the actions of CRIMINAL POLITICIANS in Ottawa."
cri
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...vows-1.5596541

There, I FIXED IT FOR YOU.

Drewski
Old 06-03-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I wonder what Rachel would have done about the gun ban???
Other than clap her hands and jump up and down with glee? SFA!
Old 06-03-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
That's essentially what Klein did with the Registry.

Grizz
Old 06-03-2020, 06:35 PM

Firearms legislation is a bunch of crap when the rules do not apply equally to all humans/races as is the case with the liberals recent proposed gun bans. Very racist federal government calling the kettle black.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Political interference in the judicial system? Everyone hated on Trudeau for trying to influence politically. So this ^^^ would be the same thing. Politicians must keep their hands off the independent judicial system.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

^^^^^All Day Long!

BW
Old 06-03-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Yes, I like how you think 👍👍
Old 06-03-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
When my friend was a crown Prosecutor in Fort McMurray not too many years ago, that was a directive that was sent to all Crown Prosecutors.
Cat
Old 06-03-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
When my friend was a crown Prosecutor in Fort McMurray not too many years ago, that was a directive that was sent to all Crown Prosecutors.
Cat
can you find that directive so I can send it on

seems the mla’ s need out help as the crown prosecutors may or may not be telling the whole story depending on where they sit on the fence