Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
And curiously enough, nothing he’s proposing would help me keep my firearms either. If anything, he’s exposing us to a lot more risk by allowing the ruling party to appoint a CFO, instead of one that’s essentially impartial to the sitting provincial government
Cops won't investigate any crime that won't receive a conviction, why would they bother with something that won't get past the prosecutor? Rachel busy taxing & greening, guns a ways down her list.

I think a home-brewed CFO is a great start, other provinces already have them.More provincial autonomy has to be a good thing.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-03-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
can you find that directive so I can send it on

seems the mla’ s need out help as the crown prosecutors may or may not be telling the whole story depending on where they sit on the fence
I was never sent the directive I was not a crown Prosecutor.
My friend has informed our MLA however.
Cat
Old 06-03-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
If I were the Premier I would (quietly) instruct my Solicitor General to issue directives to his Crown Prosecution Service to not prosecute any firearms violations before the courts involving the liberal's illegal gun bans or confiscations unless the firearms involved were used in the commission of a crime. Easy.
Ok, but isn't criminal stuff generally handled by federal prosecutors?
Old 06-03-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
what i need to see is Kenney, holding his AR-15, saying
" Blair...Trudeau...if you want my AR, come get it. Otherwise, **** off"

When I see THAT from a politician, i will have their back

Until then, its just air from another scumbag

I think Glen Motz could hand Bill Blair his ass in a Parliamentary gladiatorial pit-fighting ring. We need one of those. Or duelling. Also: 3 questions not answered in a row and its BANG! from the Sergeant-at-Arms Lee-Enfield (thought a Halberd skewering would also suffice). Clean up Parliament right quick.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 06-03-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:45 AM

Some here clearly do not understand the independence of the Crown Prosecutor from political interference, despite a thorough discussion re: SNC Lavalin.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:23 AM

Having a Provincially appointed CFO may or may not offer change. Unfortunately there is a tendency to move an ex police firearms person into the position. This ensures there is no change in focus or direction within the office.
The current CFO is a reflection of that. Every year there are increased restrictions on business licenses to close what the collective of CFO's view as problems. Not what are actual problems but rather what the group think are problems. Administrative restrictions to make their jobs easier.
If Kenney is serious about making changes he should find someone who will make real positive changes. For example the CFO has the discretion to issue ATTs to go anywhere. How about wilderness carry for security rather than employment? Handgun hunting?

It should also be pointed out that the CFO office does not enforce laws, so the police, and justice systems need to be similarly tuned up to effect change.

The big thing is his suggestion that Alberta may seek to join some of the legal challenges against the OIC. He needs to do this and he needs to be aggressive with it. The OIC is too vague to prosecute criminals with, it is only useful to seize property from sport shooters. No definition of variant, no specifics on bore measurements, or energy measurements, no explanation of why 10,000j poses a threat to safety. These are important questions that the federal government has left hanging. There is also a serious discussion required regarding the FRT and how it is edited, updated and used. There is absolutely no way that the average gun owner would ever know that a firearm not specifically listed on the OIC is prohibited or not. That is neither fair nor reasonable.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Political interference in the judicial system? Everyone hated on Trudeau for trying to influence politically. So this ^^^ would be the same thing. Politicians must keep their hands off the independent judicial system.
I knew someone would dig up that can of worms. Who's side you on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Ok, but isn't criminal stuff generally handled by federal prosecutors?
Not in provincial court. They work for Alberta's Solicitor General (Provincial Justice Minister).
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Some here clearly do not understand the independence of the Crown Prosecutor from political interference, despite a thorough discussion re: SNC Lavalin.
That's why I said (quietly).
A few bogus firearm charges get dropped (for lack of "evidence" or a weak chance of conviction) who's gonna care?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I wonder what Rachel would have done about the gun ban???
Glad you brought that up. For anyone who is dissatisfied with Premier Kenny: Look at the alternative.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
And curiously enough, nothing he’s proposing would help me keep my firearms either. If anything, he’s exposing us to a lot more risk by allowing the ruling party to appoint a CFO, instead of one that’s essentially impartial to the sitting provincial government
Perhaps impartial to the provincial government, but not impartial to the federal government. Just like the RCMP, they act like minions of Trudeau.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:07 AM

Be carefull of what you ask for. Would you trust a NDP government if they got relected in Alberta to represent our interests?
Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Perhaps impartial to the provincial government, but not impartial to the federal government. Just like the RCMP, they act like minions of Trudeau.
As saskbooknut pointed out this is what the entire SNC Lavalin scandal was about! I guess it’s ok for the government to interfere when it’s something for you?

The mental gymnastic routines you engage in are breathtaking.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Alberta has one of the better, if not the best, CFO office in the country. Never had an issue with them trying to be obstructionist, always able to accommodate last minute requests and our transfers are pretty much the fastest in the country. I’ve bought more than one restricted and been able to take it home from the shop within hours

I doubt this is how minions of Trudeau would act.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Alberta has one of the better, if not the best, CFO office in the country. Never had an issue with them trying to be obstructionist, always able to accommodate last minute requests and our transfers are pretty much the fastest in the country. I’ve bought more than one restricted and been able to take it home from the shop within hours

I doubt this is how minions of Trudeau would act.
If they are federally appointed, there's generally a reason they got the appointment. If they're all from the same group with the same political biases, there will be the hive mind to deal with. While there are limits to what can be accomplished provincially, I'm glad that what little can be done from the provincial level, is being done.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
As saskbooknut pointed out this is what the entire SNC Lavalin scandal was about! I guess it’s ok for the government to interfere when it’s something for you?

The mental gymnastic routines you engage in are breathtaking.
If Turdo's underhanded- behind-closed doors -OIC isn't government interference I don't know what is. It's a complete departure from democracy.
If the libs can do things this way, your sanctimony is irrelevant.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:32 AM

Is there a way to change fire arms to provincial jurisdiction? That would probably help us and avoid all the other bs.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
If Turdo's underhanded- behind-closed doors -OIC isn't government interference I don't know what is. It's a complete departure from democracy.
If the libs can do things this way, your sanctimony is irrelevant.
That’s an awful comparison. The OIC was enabled by the provisions of Bill C71 that passed in 2018. I don’t like it any more than you do but it wasn’t the unprecedented surprise some of us are trying to pretend it was.

https://lop.parl.ca/sites/PublicWebs...421C71E#a2.1.5
Old 06-05-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Quote:
If I were the Premier I would (quietly) instruct my Solicitor General to issue directives to his Crown Prosecution Service to not prosecute any firearms violations before the courts involving the liberal's illegal gun bans or confiscations unless the firearms involved were used in the commission of a crime. Easy.
Political interference in the judicial system? Everyone hated on Trudeau for trying to influence politically. So this ^^^ would be the same thing. Politicians must keep their hands off the independent judicial system.
Except when the specific law (the OIC) that judicial system is following, was imposed illegally and unjustly by the Fed's.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:24 PM

I got my letter today. Return to sender.