Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Trudeau is a disgrace. His time will be over.

True, but who will follow him ? There is no real leader waiting in the wings.

Grizz
Either way canada will be in the red for a long long time....
Old 06-05-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Either way canada will be in the red for a long long time....
We've been in the red since 1867. Since then, the Feds have ran a deficit 80% of the time, so yours is a safe bet.

Balancing budget from anyone is electoral lie talk.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:48 PM

Unfortunately, politicians always think about getting more votes, no matter what situation they are reacting to. As long as Ontario and Quebec vote for Trudeau, he will not pay any attention to what we need on the prairies.

That said, however, can you imagine Trudeau coming to Saskatchewan or Alberta and making speeches attacking Moe or Kenney? That is exactly what Trump is doing in Maine today as he attacks the elected governor.

Canada's form of government, for all its flaws, is far better than that in the USA, both in structure and actual performance. We should be grateful for that.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Unfortunately, politicians always think about getting more votes, no matter what situation they are reacting to. As long as Ontario and Quebec vote for Trudeau, he will not pay any attention to what we need on the prairies.

That said, however, can you imagine Trudeau coming to Saskatchewan or Alberta and making speeches attacking Moe or Kenney? That is exactly what Trump is doing in Maine today as he attacks the elected governor.

Canada's form of government, for all its flaws, is far better than that in the USA, both in structure and actual performance. We should be grateful for that.
That’s a pretty broad statement given you don’t seem to have a representative voice in things as minor as say what guns you can and can’t hunt with, or from what I’m reading here any voice in the plundering of your province wealth and sending it east...

Osky
Old 06-05-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
That’s a pretty broad statement given you don’t seem to have a representative voice in things as minor as say what guns you can and can’t hunt with, or from what I’m reading here any voice in the plundering of your province wealth and sending it east...

Osky
I'm assuming you agree that politicians generally think about winning votes as their first priority in most situations .

Each province determines which calibres are legal for hunting and determines game laws so we have an excellent voice on most of those matters (possible exception is grizzly hunting).

Criminal law, including restricting certain firearms, is a Federal responsibility. That has some good sides because there are the same laws across the whole country.

The problem arises when the largest populations reside in two provinces. They get more say about who gets elected federally than those of us in the less-populated areas. If you believe in representation by population, that's what you get.

Our problem right now is that those provinces are most affected by gang violence and so have voted in a leader and party that appealed to them by promising to ban some kinds of guns.

As far as plundering wealth goes, the provinces agreed quite a while ago to share their wealth, to some extent, so that have-not provinces got a break. For quite a while, Alberta and Saskatchewan were doing really well and some of that money went to the poorer provinces. Now that the oil industry is down the tubes, thanks in part to the Federal government, we would like some consideration and support, which does not seem forthcoming.

Overall, though, I think we have more cooperation among provinces and the Federal government. We also have fewer personal, negative attacks among our leading politicians.

Anyway, that's the reason for my comments. I agree also that they were too broad. Both systems have their advantages.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I'm assuming you agree that politicians generally think about winning votes as their first priority in most situations .

Each province determines which calibres are legal for hunting and determines game laws so we have an excellent voice on most of those matters (possible exception is grizzly hunting).

Criminal law, including restricting certain firearms, is a Federal responsibility. That has some good sides because there are the same laws across the whole country.

The problem arises when the largest populations reside in two provinces. They get more say about who gets elected federally than those of us in the less-populated areas. If you believe in representation by population, that's what you get.

Our problem right now is that those provinces are most affected by gang violence and so have voted in a leader and party that appealed to them by promising to ban some kinds of guns.

As far as plundering wealth goes, the provinces agreed quite a while ago to share their wealth, to some extent, so that have-not provinces got a break. For quite a while, Alberta and Saskatchewan were doing really well and some of that money went to the poorer provinces. Now that the oil industry is down the tubes, thanks in part to the Federal government, we would like some consideration and support, which does not seem forthcoming.

Overall, though, I think we have more cooperation among provinces and the Federal government. We also have fewer personal, negative attacks among our leading politicians.

Anyway, that's the reason for my comments. I agree also that they were too broad. Both systems have their advantages.
That makes things a bit clearer. Thanks for that. In our case a president can serve for 8 years max, are their term limits on your premier?

Osky
Old 06-05-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
That makes things a bit clearer. Thanks for that. In our case a president can serve for 8 years max, are their term limits on your premier?

Osky
Unfortunately, I believe, there are no term limits here. As long as the person remains the head of the party in power, they remain Prime Minister. It's not always (ever?) for the best.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Why is nobody asking about Canada, why no asking about covid 19 vaccine, or even change of government, of even weather talk, or how is this or that in Canada., Just a thought.
Canadians are sheep to big daddy Gov and don't question anything. Sad really.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Canadians are sheep to big daddy Gov and don't question anything. Sad really.
Not really.....some through social media just bark lots with no bite....most Canadians are bark less and push me and you will get an arse kicking....but like I said social media does not reflect a nation.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...