Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Makes me wonder how many of you would be slaping the back and shaking the hand of a man that is shooting at deer at 400 yards with a 30-30 model 94.
Pete
Old 05-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

After reading through these posts they remind of the thread on Gunslinger, Jim Shockey and others, some people just HAVE to dump on people who achieve above average results.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Huntinstuff Cat and Stinky Coyote great posts couldn't agree more! X3! Tj and Rich great posts! When you read threads like this you can see why humans have been killing each other in human history and today. If I don't do it you shouldn't do that or believe it. If I feel that way everyone should if they don't they are wrong. I can go one for hours. Great thread interesting to say the least.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Some great quotes here for Michael Platt's next column........
Now that's funny!!! Lmfao
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 PM

I feel its all about the situation and the hunter behind the bow, Personally i would never take that shot, i passed a 300+ bull this fall at 12 yards frontal shot to take a small 5 x 5 instead to know for sure that he is hitting the dirt.
We all have our limitations to what he or she can do and feel they can do it ethically. Each to there own.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM

Ok... Guess I am gonna comment.
Sheesh!

We as a group determine what is ethical by checking out what others are doing.
Or there's rules that guide us.... We don't just 'up and decide' what's right or wrong.
So.... We should try to create some standard of REASONABLENESS as to what is right or wrong in hunting.
I think we can all agree... That ethical hunters practice with their equipment, and ensure their equipment is capable of giving them a 'reasonable' chance at a quick, humane kill.

I may be wrong here, but compound archery sights do not let a hunter accurately sight in the kill zone of a deer from the front... I doubt it's possible to sight them broadside....From that distance
Unless there's a scope mounted on the bow... The equipment wasent designed for an ethical shot.... Your guessing the hit.

Unethical, we can all agree on
It.

I think other people already talked about the limitations on launching an arrow that far on a skittish object... Sounds like more hail Mary shooting to me.

C'mon! ' to each his own??!'

Nope. Not this case.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 PM

Stupid shot.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Sure go ahead and try it .. then let us all know how you feel when things go bad . Oh , and don't forget to post the video .
Defending this kind of gamble pretty clearly shows a person doesn't give a rats ar$e about how it might feel to gut shoot that deer.

To watch us sometimes, you'd think we were mad at these animals.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
The guy made a near perfect bow shot on a deer at 110 yds

Congrats
Exactly.

Listening to all these people crying about it being unethical, irresponsible & wrong makes me laugh. The guy had a beautiful killing shot at an incredible distance (for a bow), but for some reason this just isn't good enough for some people.

But if they did it, all you would hear is them bragging about it.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Exactly.

Listening to all these people crying about it being unethical, irresponsible & wrong makes me laugh. The guy had a beautiful killing shot at an incredible distance (for a bow), but for some reason this just isn't good enough for some people.

But if they did it, all you would hear is them bragging about it.
Your wrong!

Most of the guys on here that are against shots like that, can and do make shots at yardages like that, when it comes to paper and foam consistantly!

But how mad do we all get when the newspaper/ news reports a bunny or a deer running around with an arrow hanging out of it ! Especially when they use the word hunter ! Mishaps happen, but it our responsibility as outdoorsmen to make ethical and reasonable decisions in the field ! Because every arrow that doesnt kill, but hangs out for the world to see is a black eye to our sport and disgraceful to our wildlife!

For every arrow that makes it, how many fail in the real world ? I'm sure everyone can agree that statistically, the further the shot, the higher probability of things to go wrong! Especially on LIVE targets!

Last edited by pottymouth; 05-19-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 AM

I'll wager way more animals are wounded at close range (< 40 yards) that from shots taken at farther distances. Clean misses are more likely to occur at longer ranges IME.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
Defending this kind of gamble pretty clearly shows a person doesn't give a rats ar$e about how it might feel to gut shoot that deer.

Posting something like this clearly shows that you just want to argie about something that you think is wrong.

However, to think that a person doesn't care about gut shooting an animal - ANY animal hows just how little you know but that you think that you are above those that you disagree with.

Many people who are against this shot think NOTHING of shooting coyotes or other varmints - gophers included , at long range, and think nothing of killing a wolf but leaving its cubs if they cannot kill them at the same time.

Where in the law does it make THAT right?
I think I've had enough of this argument, because there is no resolution to it.
Anybody who want to give a smart Alec remark back to this post about my ethics on hunting , shooting sub gauge guns, or anything else they do not agree with that I do can go right ahead, it won't be answered by me.
Have a great day and hunt safe.......
Cat
Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Posting something like this clearly shows that you just want to argie about something that you think is wrong.

However, to think that a person doesn't care about gut shooting an animal - ANY animal hows just how little you know but that you think that you are above those that you disagree with.
Cat
Cat - I generally enjoy and appreciate your posts, but I have to disagree here. It's not my intention to have some angry mud-slinging match with you or anyone, but a puff of wind or a shift of weight or half a step by that deer and it's an ugly hit. I don't see how it's not a gamble, even for the very best archers. And a willingness to take any gamble is a willingness to accept losing, and in a case like this, losing is very possibly a badly hit deer.

But I think we agree on this much: whenever this subject comes up there's little discussion. It's almost all argument. And that's unfortunate.

Best,

2B
Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 AM

I'd love a response from someone regarding the obvious problem with the equipment.

How does one target the vitals reasonably with archery tackle at 100+ yards???

Your sights cover the deer..... So it's an unreasonable aiming situation, especially when the arrow needs to hit vitals to kill.

Please show me the flaw in my logic.

And 'he she practices lots' really dosent compensate for the Limitations of the gear.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Some people call any kind of hunting stunting, and some simply say its inhumane.
there is a level of what is right and wrong in everyone's eyes, but because one person likes something does not give another a right to run them down for it.
Like I stated before, there are some that even think that compound bow hunting is lazy, and that hunting with a modern rifle is lazy.
Your idea of hunting is not all that is right and good on some other hunters' eyes either, that is why we have opinions.
When you start telling someone that their idea is wrong and your's is right,
it quits being a discussion and turns into an argument, which this thread did a very long time ago.

Cat
Cat the OP clearly asks for opinions. I stated mine. Fact of the matter is its an internet message board. Would i ever walk up to you in person and flame you alive if i had heard you practised long range shooting? Not a chance! My route and tactic is to mentor new hunters i share the field to same path i take, as thats the practise i utilize. I know of a few guys that feel shooting from a vehicle is fine too. Do i flame them? No i dont. I am of the belief that the real enjoyment in hunting is getting as close as you can. I personally dont get a charge out of seeing a speckle three quarters over, lining it
Up in my scope, and hoping my round doesnt get side swiped by a cross wind at 680 yards. I dont care how much you practise under controlled conditions.....no one, no one with any sort of gauges or instruments can predict or even hope to predict environmental conditions on a round that needs to travel that far for that long. Its a very basic physics concept that is applied to even other sports like golf. A short 100 yard shot is less affected by
Wind, humidity, speed etc etc etc than a 270 yard drive
Off the tee. It is no coincidence that driver is your lowest percentage shot
In any round of golf......please tell me which club you see 90% of
Guys on range practising for hours with?

......and yes, i just made that comparison.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 AM

The more i think about it.....the stronger the comparison becomes. Golf
Balls are affected by rotational spin, wind, low humidity, high humidity, rain, trajectory, speed yadda yadda yadda. Its no secret those that are most successful are those that choose to take the highest percentage shot.....furthermore, many guys go out and buy 3k worth of golf clubs and in thier eyes it instantly gives them the ability to male hero shots. When in reality its all in strategy that dictates success.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Your sights cover the deer..... So it's an unreasonable aiming situation, especially when the arrow needs to hit vitals to kill.
I've never (and would never) shoot at an animal at 100+ yards, but an archery sight does not "cover" a target at 100 yards. I've shot several paper targets at 100+ yards and a person can still aim at what you need to aim at to ensure good solid hits. High quality sight pins in the .019 size or smaller make aiming pretty easy at long range.

So, although I am not making a comment for or against this type of shot, a person can still shoot a bow beyond 100 yards and be accurate on paper and its proven over and over again. This is the 'technical' aspect of aiming I'm speaking of only.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Seriously?
You can reasonably aim for the vitals on a frontal shot with certain sights??
Shot placements pretty important on the shot.

Ok. I reluctantly stand corrected.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Seriously?
You can reasonably aim for the vitals on a frontal shot with certain sights??
Shot placements pretty important on the shot.

Ok. I reluctantly stand corrected.
I'm saying from a technical aspect, an archer's sights can allow them to easily aim for something the size of about 2 fists at over 100 yards. If you use google/Youtube you can see how accurate a lot of archers can be out past 100 yards. Not me...thats for sure!

I'm not saying anything about the difficulty in a bowhunting situation, moving animal, stress, etc, etc....

Just was commenting on the fact that a person can use pretty precise aiming at 100+ yards with decent equipment and the target wouldnt be 'covered' as was suggested. Its pretty crazy what some guys can do on paper. (Again, not the same as shooting at live game, just pointing out technical aspect).
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post

xactly , thats why I would never try it .
Old 05-19-2012, 05:02 PM

Okay,

First off if any guy can stand there at 100 yrds and consitantly place an arrow in the vitals of a deer then he or she would be making a living off of archery. Especially with a hunting setup. I don't want to argue but a target setup with the best arrows in the world (not to be used for hunting) can barely make kill shots everytime at that distance with archers who train 4 hours a day or more! I am sorry, there is no way a hunting setup can make that shot everytime. And when you draw back on that deer, Yes you know that you can make that shot 1/6 times. Is that going to be the 1/6 or the 5/6 miss or wound? If anybody thinks that this shot can be made everytime, please register for the Archery Canada National Championships, pay your fees and prove me wrong. Because anybody that good won't have a problem beating the best in Canada.

Thanks

QUOTE=Rackmastr;1444821]I've never (and would never) shoot at an animal at 100+ yards, but an archery sight does not "cover" a target at 100 yards. I've shot several paper targets at 100+ yards and a person can still aim at what you need to aim at to ensure good solid hits. High quality sight pins in the .019 size or smaller make aiming pretty easy at long range.

So, although I am not making a comment for or against this type of shot, a person can still shoot a bow beyond 100 yards and be accurate on paper and its proven over and over again. This is the 'technical' aspect of aiming I'm speaking of only.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Archeryman,

I agree 100% about consistency and accuracy at shots over 100 yards. My post was merely stating that a person CAN AIM at 100 yards and pick a spot accurately with a quality bow sight.

I stated it in my post, that I was commenting on the technical aspect of aiming only, and not all the other aspects that go into it. Bessiedog had asked about a bow sights capabilities and whether a person would cover up the target by trying to aim at that distance.

Anyways, I think we're on the same page on a lot of stuff....and my post about aiming probably made it seem as if I meant it was 'easy'.

I sure WISH it was easy.....

Last edited by Rackmastr; 05-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:46 PM

I think you guys are totally missing the point here.The guy took the shot and he made it.Period.All these hypothetical what ifs dont mean jack.He made the shot .the deer is dead.not wounded ,DEAD.Youcan "what-if"till the cows come home and that particular deer will still be dead!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 PM

Well said so... So this guy was capable of the shot and made the Great shot and now every one talks him down buy saying it was unethical but it look good to me .. Yup right through the heart
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Ok people alittle on arrow hit .. in goes the arrow causing mass tramma in the heart / lungs area .. the moment the animal moves the deader it is .
end of story
sorry

Food for thought
David
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
I think you guys are totally missing the point here.The guy took the shot and he made it.Period.All these hypothetical what ifs dont mean jack.He made the shot .the deer is dead.not wounded ,DEAD.Youcan "what-if"till the cows come home and that particular deer will still be dead!
Good post pseelk.........pretty much puts the lock on the thread.

You also beat Alberta Big Bore.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned

im not going to comment on the ethics, but if that was 110 yds. then that was one hell of a dead center shot.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:38 PM

i wouldnt take that shot just because the kill zone at that range is very small. if it was broadside, i still wouldnt take the shot but i know there are guys that can make that shot all day long. my max range now would be about 60 yards and i have been shooting a lot lately. there are too many things to go wrong when shooting long distances. but like stated early i would rather see people who are great shots taking longer shots than people who just pick the bow up and go hunting. you make your own limits not someone else. i know people who wont shoot over 30 yards.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 AM

Interesting discussion. I know that it would be unethical for me to take this shot as I don't practice at anything close to that range. The discussion did get me thinking about the practical limits of shooting with modern equipment and raised some questions that I hope someone has the answers for.

I assume that the guy who took the shot used a rangefinder to determine that the distance was 110yds. Most rangefinders advertise an accuracy of +- 1yd, so the deer this guy shot may have been 1yd further or closer that he thinks. The separation between the pins on my bow sight increases with the distance, making range estimation more critical as the distance increases. This would mean that knowing the exact distance at about 110yds is much more vital than knowing the exact distance at about 30 yds.

So here's my question. Assume the guy can repeatedly hammer the bullseye on a paper target at a measured distance a 110yds. How much would his point of impact be off if he thought the distance was 110 yds but the distance was actually 111 yds? An answer in inches would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Unresponsible shot taken and luckily it allowed him to harvest the deer. For anyone that has taken a little guy to tag along hunting with them may give them the wrong idea of responsible hunting.

Tracking game is a tough enough challenge with poorly placed shots let alone trying to do it with a 6 year old chasing your heels.