Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

Default RCMP Thug Gets 3 Months House Arrest!

So, the RCMP Officer that literally beat the p*** out of the drunk in the Lac LaBiche lockup pleaded guilty to assault and got 3 months house arrest followed by 3 months probation (I think it was?). WHAT A FRICKIN JOKE!!!! Whatever happened to holding police officers to a higher standard? Hopefully he will be discharged from the RCMP in his upcoming administrative hearing...........it doesn't sound like they are going to protect this guy.........and rightfully so!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 PM

I think it will be difficult for this guy to hold onto his job after being convicted. At least he got something and I am sure losing his job will be part of the consequence of his actions.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Good thing he didn't abuse an animal instead of a human being, then he'd actually do jail time instead of house arrest....really. Just do a google search on animal abuse in Canada or Alberta, and you will see that the sentences handed down for harming animals is generally more severe than for laying a beating on person. Not to say those sentences (for animal abuse) are harsh, just that the legal system is a joke at best, and justice is skewed in odd directions. As to the mountie in this case, can you say 'Whitewash'?

Edit: here's a link to a story, couple years old but hilights my point nicely.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-sentence.html

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM

You know this bashing that's been going on lately of RCMP is getting old. For any 1 member who messes up, there's another 18000 Canadian members that are doing their job to keep people safe by potentially putting themselves in harms way. You can't paint the whole system with that big broad brush stroke.
Not saying that this guy should continue with the Force, just saying I'm sick of hearing about it.
EVERY Profession has screw ups!! They don't hire robots they hire individuals and no one is perfect.
Here's another question.... Ever thought of how many lives this particular officer impacted in a positive way prior to this? Could be hundreds!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=shooter;905088]You know this bashing that's been going on lately of RCMP is getting old. For any 1 member who messes up, there's another 18000 Canadian members that are doing their job to keep people safe by potentially putting themselves in harms way. You can't paint the whole system with that big broad brush stroke.
Not saying that this guy should continue with the Force, just saying I'm sick of hearing about it.
EVERY Profession has screw ups!! They don't hire robots they hire individuals and no one is perfect.
Here's another question.... Ever thought of how many lives this particular officer impacted in a positive way prior to this? Could be hundreds!![/QUOTE

Last edited by 1shotwade; 04-13-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 PM

The punishment is certainly a joke.Hopefully he is discharged from the force for his actions. It's a shame that the reputation of the entire force gets tarnished by a few bad apples, but now it's up to the force to gain some respect from the public by showing that they won't tolerate this type of behavior any longer.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
You know this bashing that's been going on lately of RCMP is getting old. For any 1 member who messes up, there's another 18000 Canadian members that are doing their job to keep people safe by potentially putting themselves in harms way. You can't paint the whole system with that big broad brush stroke.
Here's another question.... Ever thought of how many lives this particular officer impacted in a positive way prior to this? Could be hundreds!!
Don't see any bashing of the RCMP in this thread at all. The fellow was guilty and was charged. The legal system has let us down again in that the punishment does not fit the crime. As has already been mentioned, if he had abused an animal in the same way he did this fellow human being he would likely be in jail. The justice system sucks.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
it's a shame that the reputation of the entire force gets tarnished by a few bad apples, but now it's up to the force to gain some respect from the public by showing that they won't tolerate this type of behavior any longer.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 PM

He should lose his job, clearly he's not capable of doing it properly.

As far as bashing, once again it's like any occupation. Some are good. Some are bad. Certainly the bad ones are more apt to make mistakes because the opportunity presents itself.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
could be he impacted hundreds negatively too and this is the one that he is made to answer......

rather than play guessing games lets stick to the facts.....he committed a crime. noone is bashing the rcmp in general.....just this officer. you dont think thats justified?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
1 in 18,000

How short do you think the memory of the AO members is on this forum when it comes to police assaults and murders on civilians?

How dumb do you think the members of this AO forum are in responding to only 1 bad policeman in 18,000.

This forum is not made up by a bunch of idiots.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
1 in 18,000

How short do you think the memory of the AO members is on this forum when it comes to police assaults and murders on civilians?

How dumb do you think the members of this AO forum are in responding to only 1 bad policeman in 18,000.

My point was more that for the few bad apples they have it's very minimal in the 18000 strong personnel that they have.
As pointed out there's S%$t Stains in every profession.
Just like the forum is not made up of a bunch of idiots, the RCMP is not made up of bunch of killers and thugs.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
My point was more that for the few bad apples they have it's very minimal in the 18000 strong personnel that they have.
As pointed out there's S%$t Stains in every profession.
Just like the forum is not made up of a bunch of idiots, the RCMP is not made up of bunch of killers and thugs.
I would rather be labeled an idiot than a killer and thug.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I would rather be labeled an idiot than a killer and thug.
Congratulations!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM

I'm not protecting Dez in any way, he did what he did and now he has to deal with it...however, people in this province, in this country have committed far worse crimes- some multiple times, some against children, women etc and have prior criminal records and received similar or lesser sentences than Dez did.

Dez doesn't have a CR, has no criminal history, he pled guilty rather than going to trial, he acknowledged that he screwed up. There were some legitimate mitigating circumstances (stress post-Mayerthorpe- Dez was friends with and used to work with at least two of the victims), job-related stress in Lac LaBiche and some other things. Not an excuse, just mitigating circumstances that would have been taken into account for anyone else that might have committed an assault such as this.

As far as the comments about being 'held to a higher standard', there might be an expectation that this be the case, however, I can assure you that legally, all people are to be treated equally in the justice system. I'm certainly not naive enough to believe that this is always the case, but that is how it is supposed to work. Police officers shouldn't be treated any differently that any other citizen that commits the same offence. The only caveat would be when a police officer uses their position or authority for advantage or gain- be it financial, personal, psychological gain over another. The same would apply for teachers, lawyers, judges, doctors etc.

FWIW, I worked with Dez for a couple years up north. He's a good guy, a good policeman and has been a good friend in the past. You'd find a lot more people that had good things to say about him than bad, he did have a very positive impact on many people in his work life as well as his personal life. He screwed up, plain and simple. He's now pleaded guilty and has been doled out his punishment. He didn't have any say in his sentence, nor did the RCMP or any other police agency.

Most people that commit an assault similar to the one committed here- assuming they didn't have a CR- would have gotten the same or even less of a sentence. Typically, a suspended sentence or a short CSO with counselling is the norm.

I suspect that he won't be working with the RCMP for long, usually once you are suspended without pay, the writings pretty much on the wall- terminated.

Flame away...
Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Wow let's get off our high horse for a second. We are talking about a high stress job here. Some postings are good fairly uneventful, Other postings are a complete challenge everyday. No one is happy to see a cop now a days. People on the internet bashing law enforcement agencies and such. Now I'm not saying what this officer did was correct. Not at all he was wrong to do what he did, but do we really need to drag a member's mistake through the mud? Let's just let the RCMP deal with the member in the correct manner. These are the people that respond to our calls when we need them. He does deserve punishment. But let's not shoot down the whole lot of them. A little compassion for the service members out there. The RCMP are still number 1 in my book. We all make mistakes and we all pay one way or another.

My two bit's
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
1 in 18,000

I think it's actually closer to 21-22,000. Just sayin...

Bet you there's a higher ratio of priests diddling little boys, or dirty lawyers screwing over clients, or dirty judges on the take, or pervy teachers, or drug dealing rig workers or husbands beating their wives, or dishonest politicians....need I go on? Why don't we have any threads about these types of people?? Is it not as cool to bash these professions/people as it is to bash the popo? I have no issues when a person does something wrong, but I do have issues when a whole entire organization or profession is slammed due to the actions of individuals.

As a police officer myself, I could slam so many different types of people based on my experiences on the job. I don't because I am able to differentiate between an individual and a group. Seems to be a rare ability these days. I have worked in 3 different postings so far in my career. I've worked with hundreds of different RCMP members and I personally know probably at least a thousand members by means of professional networking with various agencies in Canada, the US as well as in Turkey. Other than Sandboe, not one of those that I know have been involved in any criminal activity or bad media coverage...on the job or off the job...bet not many of you out there could say the same about those you know in your professions.

Rant over...for now.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post

Bet you there's a higher ratio of priests diddling little boys, or dirty lawyers screwing over clients, or dirty judges on the take, or pervy teachers, or drug dealing rig workers or husbands beating their wives, or dishonest politicians....need I go on? Why don't we have any threads about these types of people?? Is it not as cool to bash these professions/people as it is to bash the popo? I have no issues when a person does something wrong, but I do have issues when a whole entire organization or profession is slammed due to the actions of individuals.

As a police officer myself, I could slam so many different types of people based on my experiences on the job. I don't because I am able to differentiate between an individual and a group. Seems to be a rare ability these days. I have worked in 3 different postings so far in my career. I've worked with hundreds of different RCMP members and I personally know probably at least a thousand members by means of professional networking with various agencies in Canada, the US as well as in Turkey. Other than Sandboe, not one of those that I know have been involved in any criminal activity or bad media coverage...on the job or off the job...bet not many of you out there could say the same about those you know in your professions.

Rant over...for now.
X2
Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The punishment is certainly a joke.Hopefully he is discharged from the force for his actions. It's a shame that the reputation of the entire force gets tarnished by a few bad apples, but now it's up to the force to gain some respect from the public by showing that they won't tolerate this type of behavior any longer.

X3. I also think that the RCMP shouldn't investigate the RCMP.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 PM

What offends me most about this case is not the punishment doled out for the assault, but rather the attempted cover-up. If this case had not been caught on camera, what are the chances that the victim would himself be up on charges of assaulting a peace officer?
You cannot blame all police for the actions of one. That said, it would be a miscarriage of justice to see this guy ever carry a badge again.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 PM

Default Greylynx

Killers and murders of civilians !
Please tell !
Lets hear the facts !
I would like to see you walk a mile in our shoes.
If you don't do the job and only believe what you read or see on the news then I don't believe you have the "RIGHT" to make comments !
I have been involved in situations and been interviewed on the news and have told my family "Watch this news bit coming up, I was there".
It was like it came from Mars !
The news made it appear as the way that they wanted the situation to appear.
If its not blood and guts then it don't sell papers or air time.
Yes the video of Dez and others we have looked at are not great for our reputation, but thankfully they are few and far in between.
IF and I mean IF, you had ever done anything like that and you didn't have a criminal record, then you too would be given a lesser sentence. That's the court system we have to put our trust in I guess. It may not seem right to you but I don't see it changing any time soon.
You might not agree on the sentence Dez was given but he is paying a far greater price then you know.
He knows that he has let down the people that walk beside him and trust with there lives.
He knows that things like this give the force a black eye and he will pay internally for that.
I believe it would be easier to do the time then pay that psychological price in the end.
Like what has been said in the past, the RCMPolice is hiring. Why don't you make a difference and join. Show us all how to do it.
I have seen EVERY walk of life break the rules. It has been said that the police should be held to a higher standard. What about priest's, school teachers, lawyers, judges, celebrities and on and on. Name me one profession that doesn't have a person in it that shouldn't be there !
We have some bad apples and we are cleaning them out, but we are paying a huge price to do it !
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffgrouse View Post
I would like to see you walk a mile in our shoes.

What about priest's, school teachers, lawyers, judges, celebrities and on and on. Name me one profession that doesn't have a person in it that shouldn't be there !
I will totally agree to you on both those comments!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Rant over...for now.
Fair enough.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not protecting Dez in any way, he did what he did and now he has to deal with it...however, people in this province, in this country have committed far worse crimes- some multiple times, some against children, women etc and have prior criminal records and received similar or lesser sentences than Dez did.

Dez doesn't have a CR, has no criminal history, he pled guilty rather than going to trial, he acknowledged that he screwed up. There were some legitimate mitigating circumstances (stress post-Mayerthorpe- Dez was friends with and used to work with at least two of the victims), job-related stress in Lac LaBiche and some other things. Not an excuse, just mitigating circumstances that would have been taken into account for anyone else that might have committed an assault such as this.

As far as the comments about being 'held to a higher standard', there might be an expectation that this be the case, however, I can assure you that legally, all people are to be treated equally in the justice system. I'm certainly not naive enough to believe that this is always the case, but that is how it is supposed to work. Police officers shouldn't be treated any differently that any other citizen that commits the same offence. The only caveat would be when a police officer uses their position or authority for advantage or gain- be it financial, personal, psychological gain over another. The same would apply for teachers, lawyers, judges, doctors etc.

FWIW, I worked with Dez for a couple years up north. He's a good guy, a good policeman and has been a good friend in the past. You'd find a lot more people that had good things to say about him than bad, he did have a very positive impact on many people in his work life as well as his personal life. He screwed up, plain and simple. He's now pleaded guilty and has been doled out his punishment. He didn't have any say in his sentence, nor did the RCMP or any other police agency.

Most people that commit an assault similar to the one committed here- assuming they didn't have a CR- would have gotten the same or even less of a sentence. Typically, a suspended sentence or a short CSO with counselling is the norm.

I suspect that he won't be working with the RCMP for long, usually once you are suspended without pay, the writings pretty much on the wall- terminated.

Flame away...
Good post as always BigD. A close family member was engaged to be married to Peter. The ramifications of Mayerthorpe are wider and longer-lasting than most can ever imagine. The punishment is just.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
........ That said, it would be a miscarriage of justice to see this guy ever carry a badge again.

but I'm with this too.

If you work for D.U. and receive a wildlife violation for shooting an extra duck you lose your job.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
but I'm with this too.

If you work for D.U. and receive a wildlife violation for shooting an extra duck you lose your job.
So if he pays his dues as determined by the legal system and complies with the assigned punishment, he should never be given an opportunity in the said field again?

It would be an uphill battle and most likely harder to go back into the same field where the scrutiny is so zeroed in than it would be to disappear and never be heard of again. Your example included.

A person can't change what's already done but can certainly learn from past mistakes and utilize the experience to make a difference going forward. IMO
Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 PM

didnt read this whole thread...... just watched the video of the beating.... what happened to the two officers standing there watching the `cop` lay into the dude?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-sentence.html

Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

First of all as the OP of this thread let me state this.............I did not post this thread with the intention of bashing ALL RCMP or LEO's, I posted the thread with the intention of bashing this one low-life piece of human garbage that did what you can see in the posted video. There may be one or two guys that post on AO that have an obvious dislike for LEO's in general for whatever reason but the majority of posters understand that it is the individual that committed the assault and not the RCMP. So if you want to get all defensive about being a LEO that's your prerogative but allot of times you're preaching to the converted.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
So if he pays his dues as determined by the legal system and complies with the assigned punishment, he should never be given an opportunity in the said field again?

It would be an uphill battle and most likely harder to go back into the same field where the scrutiny is so zeroed in than it would be to disappear and never be heard of again. Your example included.

A person can't change what's already done but can certainly learn from past mistakes and utilize the experience to make a difference going forward. IMO
He absolutely should learn from his past mistakes, and move forward - into a career which is better suited to his moral character. IMHO a person who exhibits this type of behavior should not be armed and in a position of
authority.
There are also optics involved for the RCMP. For him to return to duty would bring more disrespect on the police, making a difficult job even harder.

Last edited by Bolete; 04-14-2011 at 12:44 AM.