Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Default Taxidermy Fish

Hey fellas, after seeing Tool’s post about his massive walleye he caught I was xonsidering what I would do with it if I caught it. I recall my uncle having a lot of taxidermy fish in his man cave and I always enjoyed looking at them. I really dont know if this is what I would do or throw it back. Curious what everyone would do. I hardly ever keep more fish then I can eat in one sitting with the group Im with but that fish is borderline for me. Let the giant live or take it homs as a trophy? Fishing is different then hunting because to hunt - you have to kill. Fishing you still have options. Curious to see all the responses.

Cheers
Mike
Old 09-16-2018, 08:53 PM

Get a replica made and let it swim another day.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:10 PM

Default Taxidermy

Another vote for replica, best of both worlds.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:25 PM

I have two replica mounts, and I think they're simply the best way to go. My walleye and small mouth bass are high quality, and it felt good to release both fish.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:29 PM

I had no idea you can get a replica made - what do you need to so that? A good photo length and weight? And are you tellinf me all those fish at Cabelas and Bass Pro are replicas!? Mind blown
Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwhyTwhy View Post
I had no idea you can get a replica made - what do you need to so that? A good photo length and weight? And are you tellinf me all those fish at Cabelas and Bass Pro are replicas!? Mind blown
Length, a picture and girth. If it has any identifying features, the artist can paint them on for you. The vast majority of the mounts at BPS and Cabela's are replicas, you can generally tell by the texture of the skin and the level of gloss (replicas tend to be glossier).
Old 09-16-2018, 10:40 PM

Cheers. Appreciate the info everyone
Old 09-17-2018, 10:27 AM

the replicas are way better as they done do not deteriorate as a skin mount does. I have a 13 lb 31 inch walleye from pigeon lake that is a replica mount and it still looks like the day I caught it. that was over 25 years ago. it cost about $100 more to do then a skin mount back then . let them go and grow.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
the replicas are way better as they done do not deteriorate as a skin mount does. I have a 13 lb 31 inch walleye from pigeon lake that is a replica mount and it still looks like the day I caught it. that was over 25 years ago. it cost about $100 more to do then a skin mount back then . let them go and grow.
Almost the exact specs as mine! Love my replica, it's one of my prized possessions.