Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 09:19 AM

Default Winchester model 94 finish coming off (help please)

I have recently obtained some older Winchester rifles from an estate. Upon looking through all the rifles I had found some of the finish is coming off the metal and it is going from black to white. I would like to fix this so I can display them but do not want to experiment with the guns as they are new never fired condition. I don't not have much experience with this so any help would be great . See pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 10:10 AM

Ok. You want to fix to display. Then you understand any collector value is diminished already

To fix to display, clean the area affected with a non greasy cleaner. Tool and Parts cleaner from Canadian Tire is very good. Just spray it on a rag and wipe the affected area.

Birchwood Casey makes a simple cold blue. It’s a paste. You can get it at CT or Cabelas or any gunshop.

Follow directions.

Unlikely you will perfectly match the existing blue on the rifle. But, you won’t have steel showing either.

Pretty uniform wear on the bluing on that rifle btw.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:21 AM

That doesn't look like an original finish to me.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:38 AM

It's a commenerative that somebody abused. It's now just a worn out Win 94, there is zero to little increase in value.

Winchester probably used something besides bluing to give that rifle a deep shiny look. You'll never replicate the finish, and a proffesional refinishing job will be more than the rifle is worth.

Heck the box alone could bring more money than your used 30/30.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-05-2017, 11:06 AM

Your Wells Fargo 94 should have had an "antique silver finished receiver" according to my Winchester book.
It's difficult to tell just what you have there but the pics look to me as if someone has put some sort of finish over top of the original finish and it's now coming off. If this is the case then I'd look for a way to take the rest of the finish off so the receiver is silver again.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Ok. You want to fix to display. Then you understand any collector value is diminished already

To fix to display, clean the area affected with a non greasy cleaner. Tool and Parts cleaner from Canadian Tire is very good. Just spray it on a rag and wipe the affected area.

Birchwood Casey makes a simple cold blue. It’s a paste. You can get it at CT or Cabelas or any gunshop.

Follow directions.

Unlikely you will perfectly match the existing blue on the rifle. But, you won’t have steel showing either.

Pretty uniform wear on the bluing on that rifle btw.
Thanks for the reply . As it is unused should I just leave it alone. The gun is original in the box never fired it just seems odd that it's coming off like that. I also have diamond jubilee that is similar. Maybe I'll just leave it alone. I was going to consider selling a couple but I am assuming this would drive the value down?

Old 11-05-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Your Wells Fargo 94 should have had an "antique silver finished receiver" according to my Winchester book.
It's difficult to tell just what you have there but the pics look to me as if someone has put some sort of finish over top of the original finish and it's now coming off. If this is the case then I'd look for a way to take the rest of the finish off so the receiver is silver again.
I have 2 of them and they both look the same it looks as if it is some type of oil.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
It's a commenerative that somebody abused. It's now just a worn out Win 94, there is zero to little increase in value.

Winchester probably used something besides bluing to give that rifle a deep shiny look. You'll never replicate the finish, and a proffesional refinishing job will be more than the rifle is worth.

Heck the box alone could bring more money than your used 30/30.
It has never been fired and the room it was in was proper for gun storage of all that I have received there is only a couple that have this problem. Seems odd.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:02 PM

The more I look at those pictures the more I think that some one has put something on the receiver, thinking it would protect the finish maybe? Whatever it was has possibly reacted with the original finish producing the flat blackish color we see now. Regardless, I'm certain that the darker finish on the receiver is not original to the rifle and the bright color underneath looks to be a closer match to what it should look like. It's very difficult to be sure just looking at the pictures though.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Default Vinegar

White vinegar on a rag may remove the after market cold bluing if thats what indeed happened.

Be very careful not to get it on any bluing you dont want removed.(Loading gate, hammer & screws)

Unfortunately, the collector value of the firearms has been compromised.

Last edited by Puma; 11-05-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
The more I look at those pictures the more I think that some one has put something on the receiver, thinking it would protect the finish maybe? Whatever it was has possibly reacted with the original finish producing the flat blackish color we see now. Regardless, I'm certain that the darker finish on the receiver is not original to the rifle and the bright color underneath looks to be a closer match to what it should look like. It's very difficult to be sure just looking at the pictures though.
X 5689756 ... never seen a 94 with that ... blueing and beauty walnut has allway's gone into Winchester Commerative's ... nuff said !!!
Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 AM

Win 94 (post)are plated . The standard blue have and iron coating that is blue and the commeratives are plated as well . Something has reacted with the finish.

Post '64 model 94 will not blue properly in conventional hot blueing method .
Old 11-09-2017, 03:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
X 5689756 ... never seen a 94 with that ... blueing and beauty walnut has allway's gone into Winchester Commerative's ... nuff said !!!
Edit

The Well's Fargo is Silver Plated ... and only tarnishes ... a shame that somebody did that hack job .
Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Have you tried using Brasso or some type of silver polish?
Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375H&H View Post
Have you tried using Brasso or some type of silver polish?
Too far gone for that ... crying shame .
Old 11-11-2017, 07:36 AM

I have had silverware and a couple silver plates that looked worse than the above rifle clean up fine using Brasso silver polish...worth a try
Old 11-11-2017, 11:43 AM

I don't believe that the silver finish tarnished like that on it's own, something was applied to it that reacted so it may or may not come off.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't believe that the silver finish tarnished like that on it's own, something was applied to it that reacted so it may or may not come off.
yup... after more reseach the original finish is pewter ... still hooped ...

Last edited by bb356; 11-11-2017 at 12:23 PM.