Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Well in Alberta a crossbow is not allowed in the archery season, but down south in most states it is, so they must all be less enlightened then we are????

So you define everything based on which season it's allowed in? So what is a 17hmr then...... and what season is it dedicated too........
Maybe you should get some pic's for the bedroom, as it would appear that you are fairly set in your ways.....I'm betting your partner would appreciate it.......
You're not so enlightened yourself. From the Ten Point Crossbow link:

Quote:
SB 1699-Would allow the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to promulgate standards to allow for a legalized crossbow hunting season. In so doing, New York might soon join the 21 other states that currently allow crossbow use during the entire archery season (49 states currently allow some form of crossbow use).
Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Don't let the haters get u down... It was a perfectly reasonable question.. Get a note from your doctor and get the permit and enjoy your hunt... I doubt the voices of some reflect the opinions of the majority ...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Even if that's all true, why are you bothered by the thought of a guy with a horizontal bow with a pistol grip hunting a mile away in October? Why fight to take away an opportunity from a fellow hunter? And as some here have said in relation to bowhunting, there would be nothing stopping you from picking up a crossbow and enjoying...
I don't understand the comeback and I don't know why you would think any of what I said is false. If hunting in Oct with a crossbow is in the general season, I have no problem with that. You can't take away an opportunity that does not exist (crossbow hunting in the archery season). EVERYONE has the opportunituy to pick up a bow. Including crossbows in the archery season has has nothing to do with enlightenment, it's more to do with wearing down the status quo. Just like any controversial action, there is fierce opposition towards it, followed by more activism, followed by less fierce opposition, followed by fierce activism, followed by a numb opposition, followed by relentless activism followed by tolerance, acceptance...right or wrong. In the end all of the dominoes will have fallen and we will have crossbows in the archery season. The archery season will not resemble what it is now, in terms of tags and/or length of season. Fighting for crossbows will create less opportunity, not more. Until that time, I'm committed to ABC (Anything But Crossbows), in the archery season (with exemptions for handicapped and seniors).
Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose smasher View Post
As the OP of this thread it appears I owe everyone an apology for asking a question and being a new member on this board. I'm sorry I just joined the forum and that I don't have 10 000 posts yet. I thought my question was a decent one and I didn't know the answer. I'm from Ontario and I'm planning on moving to Alberta within the next year.

I used to shoot a compound competitively here until I was injured at work and now its either crossbow or no hunting for me. Crossbows are fully legal here and I was wondering about Alberta. I certainly didn't mean to stir up this kind of mess. I would far rather shoot my compound but I can't pull it back anymore due to the pain.

I don't know why so many guys hate crossbows but they really shouldn't. To the haters,have you ever shot or hunted with one?

Once again I apologize for asking a question here.

Goose smasher
Don't worry about it buddy, you did nothing wrong. This is one of those things that stir the pot. Instead of just agreeing or disagreeing and leaving it at that some of these guys fly off in all directions looking for someone to argue with. We will be glad to have you when you get here. Maybe you and I can go crossbow hunting together some day.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Create a primitive weapons season, and from rifle and archery season to create it. Implement a primitive weapon license , much like bowhunters already have ( bowhunters would be exempt from it, because they have one already) and track the primitive hunting license s. Then develop appropriate seasons....that's the correct way imo. Not shoving them with Bowhunting season, when they are not a bow.
I have found no place in the regs that calls it a bow hunting season it's actually called archery only season. Where is this bow season and when did the crossbow become a gun and not archery equipment.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Just so you are all aware, I have sent an email to the minister regarding this issue. Next year we will be able to hunt with this weapon during the archery season. Now you will all have to find something else to fight about.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I have found no place in the regs that calls it a bow hunting season it's actually called archery only season. Where is this bow season and when did the crossbow become a gun and not archery equipment.
When P&Y start entering crossbow kills then I'm sure the rest of us will recognize xguns as archery . To the original poster , when a legitimate hunter uses a crossbow because of medical reasons most of us here have no problem with it ,it's like anything else , a few bad apples spoil the pot .
Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
When P&Y start entering crossbow kills then I'm sure the rest of us will recognize xguns as archery . To the original poster , when a legitimate hunter uses a crossbow because of medical reasons most of us here have no problem with it ,it's like anything else , a few bad apples spoil the pot .
Sooooooo pope and young doesn't recognize a bow under 40 lbs as archery equipment so what does my son shoot a vertical gun to practice until he can pull back 40 lbs. I think pope and young are dead and you are talking about a record book. Weak.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
All the years I have bow hunted I have only seen one guy with a crossbow. I did not ask him anything but he told me he had a permit. I do not know or have I seen anyone using one that did not have the permit. Apparently you have, did you turn them in?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM

I also think that is bull, most of the anti crossbow guys on here would would be upset if they saw someone using a crossbow, permit or not.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Sooooooo pope and young doesn't recognize a bow under 40 lbs as archery equipment so what does my son shoot a vertical gun to practice until he can pull back 40 lbs. I think pope and young are dead and you are talking about a record book. Weak.
P&Y is indeed a record book . If they considered crossbows archery , then they would allow their entries. Who said anything about a bow under 40 #'s ?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
All the years I have bow hunted I have only seen one guy with a crossbow. I did not ask him anything but he told me he had a permit. I do not know or have I seen anyone using one that did not have the permit. Apparently you have, did you turn them in?
Did I say I had seen some one without a permit ?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
P&Y is indeed a record book . If they considered crossbows archery , then they would allow their entries. Who said anything about a bow under 40 #'s ?
Archery equipment under 40 lbs is not recognized in pope and young why should crossbows be recognized by pope and young to be classified as archery equipment. Is what I'm saying jibrish?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Please provide a link to were P&Y does not allow a bow under 40#. Alberta does not allow the use of a bow under 40# but I see nothing in P&Y in regard to this.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Do you think your semantics change the legal document or this discussion? The regulations do not allow crossbows in the archery season. These same regulations prohibit the use of spears and atlatls in the archery season....

From the Regulations:
"“archery only season” or “Archery Only Season” means an open season for the hunting of big game that is restricted to hunting only with a bow that is not a cross‑bow, or to hunting with a cross‑bow by the holder of a cross‑bow licence;"

Neither Potty's post nor the regulations say anything about a crossbow or all the other prohibited weapons for the archery season being firearms.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 PM

For anyone concerned this is to me a debate not an argument. Just like politics.
Mr speaker I have still not received the answer I was looking for!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Did I say I had seen some one without a permit ?
No, but what I got from your post I thought maybe you had.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Archery equipment under 40 lbs is not recognized in pope and young why should crossbows be recognized by pope and young to be classified as archery equipment. Is what I'm saying jibrish?
Sorry for trying to make a comment , you obviously want to argue. P&Y defines a bow as a longbow ,recurve, or compound that is handheld and hand drawn , and that has no mechanical device that allows the hunter to lock the bow at full or partial draw . Since it is an archery record book and I see no mention of a crossbow in the entry form I don't regard it as such .As for the 40 # comment , that is from the Alberta Regs , correct ?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
No, but what I got from your post I thought maybe you had.
If I had he/she would be reported .
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Do you think your semantics change the legal document or this discussion? The regulations do not allow crossbows in the archery season. These same regulations prohibit the use of spears and atlatls in the archery season....

From the Regulations:
"“archery only season” or “Archery Only Season” means an open season for the hunting of big game that is restricted to hunting only with a bow that is not a cross‑bow, or to hunting with a cross‑bow by the holder of a cross‑bow licence;"

Neither Potty's post nor the regulations say anything about a crossbow or all the other prohibited weapons for the archery season being firearms.
Yes I am very aware of what the regs say is legal and I did nowhere say I can change them. But regulations do change as do definitions and legal policies. So I do not know why in many other places the crossbow is considered archery equipment but can not be called archery equipment in this darn fine province of ours. There has been indication to keep them ranked with guns because it can stay at full draw, looks like a gun and has the misconception that it can be shot like a gun including range.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose smasher View Post
As the OP of this thread it appears I owe everyone an apology for asking a question and being a new member on this board. I'm sorry I just joined the forum and that I don't have 10 000 posts yet.
Oh please, cut the dramatics. posts move on from the original point or question. No one is jumping on you (lucky you. enjoy it while it lasts. LOL) Jump in here and argue like anyone else. Have some fun with it. You are welcome here!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry for trying to make a comment , you obviously want to argue. P&Y defines a bow as a longbow ,recurve, or compound that is handheld and hand drawn , and that has no mechanical device that allows the hunter to lock the bow at full or partial draw . Since it is an archery record book and I see no mention of a crossbow in the entry form I don't regard it as such .As for the 40 # comment , that is from the Alberta Regs , correct ?
What I'm trying to relay is pope and young ( you said it yourself ) defines a bow and not archery equipment. And the 40lbs applies in pope and young because the BOW has to be of legal poundage to be entered.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM

There are several states with lower than 40# restrictions. Deer taken in these states can be entered in P&Y. It is strictly a state/provincial requirement, not a P&Y requirement.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oh please, cut the dramatics. posts move on from the original point or question. No one is jumping on you (lucky you. enjoy it while it lasts. LOL) Jump in here and argue like anyone else. Have some fun with it. You are welcome here.
Debate like everyone else.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
There are several states with lower than 40# restrictions. Deer taken in these states can be entered in P&Y. It is strictly a state/provincial requirement, not a P&Y requirement.
If its not legal poundage (40lbs) in Alberta the animal shot in Alberta will not be entered in the book because it was not legally harvested. Or am I incorrect?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 PM

You are correct in that statement. But a deer shot with a 30# bow in Texas could also be entered. Again P&Y does not set a limit on draw weight, but requires that the deer be legally harvested.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
If its not legal poundage (40lbs) in Alberta the animal shot in Alberta will not be entered in the book because it was not legally harvested. Or am I incorrect?
I believe that is true unless it is taken by an aboriginal person......with a willow and sinew bow

LC
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 PM

How low of poundage can you hunt with in these states?
Not being a jerk just expanding my knowledge because I
have never looked into that.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
How low of poundage can you hunt with in these states?
Not being a jerk just expanding my knowledge because I
have never looked into that.
As far as I know there is no legal draw weight restriction in Texas, not sure of other states.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
You are correct in that statement. But a deer shot with a 30# bow in Texas could also be entered. Again P&Y does not set a limit on draw weight, but requires that the deer be legally harvested.
I should have been more clear your right I meant that 40lbs counts in pope and young for an animal shot in Alberta.
Anyway my actual point was suppose to be that it doesn't have to be recognized in pope and young to be classified as archery equipment. Where all that came from.