Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
They are burning bandwidth googling dissolving fish hooks
See posts 5 & 6

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM

None of my comments had intent... I was not trying to incite you... I just find that there are too many threads on here grasping for some moral high ground... It doesn't seem to be about fishing/ catching/enjoying/ sharing experiences like it really should be
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
None of my comments had intent... I was not trying to incite you... I just find that there are too many threads on here grasping for some moral high ground... It doesn't seem to be about fishing/ catching/enjoying/ sharing experiences like it really should be
Sorry.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM

I am sorry as well... Never intended to offend you
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry.
dont say sorry you are right everybody jumped on me and told me that a fish can dissolve hooks but REALLY do they, of course not its common sence
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rett View Post
Exxxxxxactly! It doesn't take rocket appliances to see that!
Just denial and error, and supply and command.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffy91 View Post
Just denial and error, and supply and command.
Autoerect on the iPad?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Ken, I'm not sorry!

When we were kids we would go catch some rainbows at Broadmoor pond in Sherwood Park.
Some of the older teenagers got a real kick out of leaving a hook in a fish while on land and waiting for a seagull to come along and fly away with the fish.Then real in the bird.
Many times I would see a bird with a treble in it's beak.

No fishing in there anymore.
The birds have to work for their meal now. They hang out in the Wendy's parking lot.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
Is there really such a thing as too many threads on morality and ethics in regard to hunting and fishing? What is wrong with constantly bringing up ways to be more ethical/moral in these pursuits??? It's like safety as far as I am concerned........ in many workplaces people complain because of the constant safety meetings, or safety inspections etc. But really, can you ever be too safe?

Now when people criticize others due to their own ethics even when the behavior is legal that is another kettle of fish......(like for example keeping a limit of large fish etc......)

It's through discussions like this that as a community we can grow and learn from each other. If this had not been brought up I would of continued to believe that hooks dissolve in a fish if left in............. now I know that is not the case........

Or you could just be one of those people operating under the misconception that you already know all you need to and are not interested in learning more, and if that is the case I would suggest that you not open threads such as this in the future......

Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Lol, about 3 seconds.
fish swallows hook? Kill and eat it.
What's the option of you're not allowed to keep the fish?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:18 PM

Cut the line as close to the hook as you can and put it back. Hope it lives to eat another hook...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Snopes.com posted 29 June, 2005 01:26 AM *** ** ** ** ** *

I heard a fish hook will dissolve from enzymes located in the stomach of fish in a few days.

False

quote:
In fall 1999, Dettloff's study team caught 14 muskie on single-hook sucker rigs. This time, radio transmitters fixed to the fish had a battery life of at least 400 days, with the potential of going 600 days. Three of the tagged muskie died fairly quickly when released.

In spring 2000, Dettloff and his team began tracking the remaining fish. The news was not good. "By late May at least half of the tagged fish were dead," said Dettloff. "There were about four or five of them still moving around, but...by July they were all dead." Using an underwater camera, Dettloff and his team located several of the fatalities on the lake bottom. Two others washed up on shore and bears dragged them into the bush.

Anglers caught two of the tagged muskie early in 2000. A 34-incher (86 cm) was released by an angler who noticed it was tagged. "That fish looked okay, but was a little on the thin side," said Dettloff. " It ended up dying about a month and a half later." The other muskie was a 42-inch (106-cm) beauty, which Dettloff said weighed about 21 pounds (9.5 kg) when tagged in 1999. When re-caught July 4, 2000, it was emaciated. Although released, it died two weeks later. Dettloff said, "We knew (gut-hooked muskie) were dying, but we hadn't had a chance to see a live fish and observe its health. That fish was as skinny as a rail."

The deaths of those 14 muskie - 100 per cent delayed mortality - convinced him the single-hook sucker rig has no place in an ethical angler's bag of tricks
and

Note: Sucker rigs are a big hook set into a sucker fish, which is then allowed to swim. The muskie then swallows the sucker fish - and hook - whole.

quote:
Aren’t hooks supposed to dissolve to help save fish?

There is no such thing as a “dissolving” hook. “Dissolving” hooks are a marketing creation. All hooks rust and corrode in water. When hooks rust they produce toxins. It appears that it is these toxins that get fish sick, disturbing them from breeding, when that does not kill them.

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.
Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000 *|* IP: Logged*|*
Just one study out there

Funny thing hook size was left out. They were single hooks alright. But the sizes were 10/0 and up. They are freakin huge!!!!! Heck 5/0 or 6/0 hooks are about the size(thickness) of a coat hanger! Most wire hooks used in AB are thin wire. My point bein not a good comparison. Yes it would take along time to dissolve a 10/0 hook. The largest musky was 48". The freakin hook was almost as big as the musky. I dont recall whether what the hook was made from either, that size may have been salt water hooks(more corrosion resistant).

Also as wayne pointed out the recommendations in the regs. Cut line hook will dissolve.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 01-24-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM

Iron/steel/metal rusts. Corn does not.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
This is true. One time i swallowed a small peice of metal and only corn came out.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
This is true. One time i swallowed a small peice of metal and only corn came out.
Thank you very much. Brazilian lemonade out the nose onto the iPad.

Well played sir, well played.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
I don't remember eating corn...