Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSECUTER View Post
CO2 is more dense than the air, so venting at the top is not as effective.
Guys...

I have to chip in here when I see some potentially dangerous info being given out. People commonly mistake CO2 for CO. You cannot buy a CO2 detector at Cdn Tire.

You and I breathe out CO2 with every breath we take. This is carbon DI-oxide. While it is true that CO2 can be deadly as well in the right circumstances as it IS denser than air and will displace it in low areas (think of confined spaces, mineshafts, etc.), this is not necessarily the concern we are discussing in the situation described by the OP.

Carbon MON-oxide (one less oxygen molecule) is the deadly gas that a CO detector is designed to detect. It is not true that CO is denser than air...its vapour density is 0.97 and is actually lighter than air. Yet...it is so close that CO will readily mix with air. That is why we recommend to install CO monitors on all levels of your home just the same as you would a smoke detector...and if you only choose to buy one, place it outside your sleeping areas of your home. Don't stick it down in the basement.

But I digress...

The best way I can describe it is: Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter due to insufficient oxygen supply to enable complete oxidation to carbon dioxide (CO2). In other words....ANY appliance that burns an organic fuel source can create it if there is not a proper draft to complete the combustion process. Woodstoves, kerosene heaters, coal, charcoal, propane, etc. etc....they can all create CO if not functioning properly.

CO is odourless, tasteless, and invisible...hence how it acquired it's nickname of the 'silent killer'. It attaches itself to the hemoglobin in your blood stream thus impeding your blood's ability to carry oxygen throughout your body to your organs. Basically, you suffocate from the inside out.
Signs of CO poisoning include headaches, nausea, lethargy (sluggish feeling), dizziness, confusion, rosy-colroed cheeks, etc. Closely resembles the flu..

But be aware that CO is an accumulated poison. By that I mean if you are in a high concentration environment, it will take less time to become poisoned...however: exposure over a longer period of time in a less toxic environment will see the same results. So sleeping for 8 hours in a low concentration can be just as deadly.

In summary guys...be super careful. your CO monitor from your house if you feel like you must do this. The wall units do plug in to your outlet, but should also have a 9V back-up battery.

But even better, I suggest you follow the wise advice of others and do not sleep with the heater on, but rather prepare yourself accordingly with proper bags and clothing. Turn the heater on in the morning.

Stay safe...I would hate to hear of a tragedy.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 PM

I sleep in my pop up a couple times a year with the big buddy heater going all night. The key as has been already been stated is to have adequate combustion air. There are charts available to determine how many square inches the opening to fresh air has to be in relation to the number of btu's your heater is. If you feel the vents on your pop will not supply enough fresh air then run a PVC pipe under the skirt of your pop up behind your heater. I also us a co detected for added safety. I feel comfortable sitting in my tent all day with the heater going and feel just as comfortable at night. Just take the neccissary precations.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM

Really great information guys! When I put up the question I had no idea I'd get such a great response! After doing some research on the causes and prevention of carbon monoxide I think I'll first do a test in the shack (4 or 5 hours of fishing with the doors closed and a co monitor to see what happens) then based on that decide what to do for the night. PVC pipe under the shirt to bring in fresh oxygen is a great idea, I'll definitely use that! And $40 for a digital read-out co detector is a great investment at any time in the shack, day or night.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 PM

As soon as I got CO detector I tried to test it with my heater in a restroom - couldn't get any readable levels in ~ 1/2 hour. But if I am next to a heater 10 hours per day of day-fishing 10-20 times a year and I'm not dead yet, with 5 hours around it once in a rare while I should be able to survive with a little extra precautions...
Disclaimer: It does take just one time and wrong conditions, so mileage can vary