Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 03:21 PM

Angry Well this is what a dry-fired bow looks like

Well I handed buddy my bow (He shoots a recurve), there were some wobbley pops involved, and after I gave him instructions to NOT let the dang string go and to not dry fire it, he lets her fly.

I still have take it to the pro shop, but looking like a new bow is needed. The top cam is defiantly bent, the other is jammed in place between the limb and the cam. The string looks to be garbage.

This is after I put new string on and a dozen new arrows, My first bow, my first hunting season.

Has anybody else had an experience with a situation like this

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7

Last edited by *BigSexyHunter*; 10-12-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:37 PM

Default Well, that just sucks!

The pictures won't load up, but I really don't need to see them to understand your pain! Happened to my buddy last hunting season as well. Pretty much the same story except there was no wobbly pops involved. somehow that makes it worse when you do it sober. HAHAHA!!!

I sure hope you have a quality bow shop close so that you can at least get out hunting yet this season. Good luck!

I dry-fired my Hoyt at a 3D tournament a couple years ago and it actually didn't do much damage. I was able to roll the string back on the cam and finish the tournament. I didn't shoot well and the bow didn't shoot well either. I took it to a shop and they replaced the bushings in the cam and it is back to shooting better than I can aim it again.

I hope you get your pictures working. I don't need to see them, but it's like a car wreck in that I wouldn't look away if they were posted.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:43 PM

It looks like their working now, Let me know if they are or are not.

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Default Why?

Why would you let somebody pull back your bow with no arrow on it? There is just no good that can come out of it, I see it quite often at our club. Seems when people go to let down there is nothing and then it grabs and a lot of people are just not ready for that. Sorry about your situation and hope you get it fixed quick. Cheers Roscoe
Old 10-12-2014, 03:47 PM

Beaver hunter says you should de-friend buddies that are idiots. Btw - nice Jammie's!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:57 PM

Default Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BigSexyHunter* View Post
It looks like their working now, Let me know if they are or are not.
Yeah, we can see the pics now.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 AM

Ouch - is your friend taking any responsibility for this?
Old 10-13-2014, 06:55 AM

Sorry to see this happen to you. The exact the same thing happened to me three years ago with a brand new APA. Jim at Pipestone put it back together and it still is going today. Wasn't near as bad shape as yours and my buddy took responsibility for repairs.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 AM

OUCH.........this is why no one draws my bows ! I've never dry fired one before and after seeing your photos i really hope i never do.......i didn't realize it actually did that much damage
Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 AM

Default Life Lessons

I would give your buddy the bow and say fix it his cost but you did do this under the guidance of wobbly pops I guess that will teach you
Thanks for showing the pic's
Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 AM

Been there..twice...feel ur pain.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Banned

Good old wobbly pops. Hope your buddy is paying for repairs. Worst thing is that you might not be able to get it repaired for weeks. This really sucks.
Not the first time Ive heard a horror story like this.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Always worth fixin...
Buynew parts. ..just for warrenty alone. ..
New cam or cams pending on where Approx$75.00 Ea..
Strings 150.00 installed
Worst case scenio...
Limbs $180.00 pair
Pending on who for install...we usually incude install with part price..

Get iy quick. .if its American...parts like limbs on some brands can take 4-6 weeks for delivery. .
Neil
Old 10-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Been in that situation.. few beers down and someone thinks its a good idea to try pulling my bow. JUST DONT LET GO!! Always scares me.. Now I put a string lock on it
Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 AM

Time to post this again...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJoxJJjcQFU

Neil
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 AM

I am very picky.... I have no problem with anybody drawing a bow as long as there is an arrow in it and you are going to shoot it.

I have seen people do all sorts of things and people let them....

They will draw the bow with a release on a sting loop with no arrow.... In this situation since there is no nock holding d loop apart it can actually make your d-loop move and the POI is changed....

Now I will draw an empty bow by hand to check things but I am also a bow mechanic....Even this sometimes people torque on let down and de-rail the cams.....

Best rule... don't draw back unless your ready to shoot!....

Why do people feel need to draw someone's bow anyways? What are they planning to do.... check timing? or just see if they can pull it!.... That is like someone putting a loaded bullet into a chamber while sitting in your living room after a few wobbly pops just to see if they can and then asking if they can feel how crisp the trigger is....

Take your release strap and close/buckle/Velcro it around the cables and string.... This does two things....

Your release is always with your bow so you don't forget it when hunting (usually find out after reaching hunting area and start gearing up)

Someone has to undo it to be able to draw your bow.... which gives you time to intervene!....
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I am very picky.... I have no problem with anybody drawing a bow as long as there is an arrow in it and you are going to shoot it.

I have seen people do all sorts of things and people let them....

They will draw the bow with a release on a sting loop with no arrow.... In this situation since there is no nock holding d loop apart it can actually make your d-loop move and the POI is changed....

Now I will draw an empty bow by hand to check things but I am also a bow mechanic....Even this sometimes people torque on let down and de-rail the cams.....

Best rule... don't draw back unless your ready to shoot!....

Why do people feel need to draw someone's bow anyways? What are they planning to do.... check timing? or just see if they can pull it!.... That is like someone putting a loaded bullet into a chamber while sitting in your living room after a few wobbly pops just to see if they can and then asking if they can feel how crisp the trigger is....

Take your release strap and close/buckle/Velcro it around the cables and string.... This does two things....
Your release is always with your bow so you don't forget it when hunting (usually find out after reaching hunting area and start gearing up)

Someone has to undo it to be able to draw your bow.... which gives you time to intervene!....
Paying attention to what nekred stated...BOTH string and cable...

NEVER attach release to just string as so many do...had two derailed/"dryfired" bows in this fall as a result of this...

Release is attached to string ... bow is drawn for whatever reason release slides down string and onto cam..regardless of how safely bow is let down release/strap derails bow from cam...resulting in a boom boo boo

My bow is always in a Primos bow sling...it protects string/cables idlers and cams...I hook my release thru sling and limb for my big issue... forgetting release in truck on 4x4 shifter...and for the same safety preventive as mentioned by neckred's suggestion.

Neil
Old 10-15-2014, 03:44 PM

P.S.E.

Point
Shoot
Explode

Sorry! I just couldn't help myself. I have lived your pain!

I notice there is no string stopper on that bow. If you fix that one or get a new bow without one, consider an aftermarket one (if it will fit of course).

I have had a couple of oopsies and other than a peep sight getting crushed or sent flying there was no other obvious damage. Basing this on a Matthews and an APA bow, both had string stops. Buddy of mine had a similar experience and all that happened was a string jumped off the cam.

IMHO the stopper will help minimize damage from a dry fire, but I'm not a bow technician. Maybe someone else can add to this.

Last edited by 338Bluff; 10-15-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:01 PM

Sorry to see than man
Old 10-15-2014, 04:03 PM

I don't understand why your friend shot the bow after you explicitly told him not to. Was it an accident?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Paying attention to what nekred stated...BOTH string and cable...

NEVER attach release to just string as so many do...had two derailed/"dryfired" bows in this fall as a result of this...

Release is attached to string ... bow is drawn for whatever reason release slides down string and onto cam..regardless of how safely bow is let down release/strap derails bow from cam...resulting in a boom boo boo

My bow is always in a Primos bow sling...it protects string/cables idlers and cams...I hook my release thru sling and limb for my big issue... forgetting release in truck on 4x4 shifter...and for the same safety preventive as mentioned by neckred's suggestion.

Neil
agree with what you said was going to add to my post.....

Just to clarify!....

I said use the bUCKLE part that goes around your wrist.... and attach cables and string... much like I use a zip tie to prevent people drawing bow....
Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 PM

Default Bowstring

Seen it happen once not nice to watch
Old 10-16-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
P.S.E.

Point
Shoot
Explode

Sorry! I just couldn't help myself. I have lived your pain!

I notice there is no string stopper on that bow. If you fix that one or get a new bow without one, consider an aftermarket one (if it will fit of course).

I have had a couple of oopsies and other than a peep sight getting crushed or sent flying there was no other obvious damage. Basing this on a Matthews and an APA bow, both had string stops. Buddy of mine had a similar experience and all that happened was a string jumped off the cam.

IMHO the stopper will help minimize damage from a dry fire, but I'm not a bow technician. Maybe someone else can add to this.

He needed to borrow the mandatory uniform that bowtech supplies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bowtech.JPG (46.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
He needed to borrow the mandatory uniform that bowtech supplies
Whoa! Be nice now.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 PM

Couldn't help myself..... Sorry. They all blow up equally ugly!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Beaver hunter says you should de-friend buddies that are idiots. Btw - nice Jammie's!
Grrrr.....
Old 10-17-2014, 08:21 PM

Ouch
Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM

That sucks
Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BigSexyHunter* View Post
there were some wobbley pops involved
Don't wanna sound like Jiminy Cricket but... wobbly pops are often involved in accidental weapon discharge.

Sorry about your bow.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 PM

Default Just say no

The club runs a youth archery program.

One of the promising young shooters that I've known for a few years was showing me his bow (a nice one that this 11yo hunts with) and let me handle it as he pointed out the features.

I asked his permission to draw the bow. He hesitated briefly and then politely said that he'd rather I didn't. I agreed that I'd been foolish to ask and was glad that he spoke his mind. Being assertive and saying no can save a lot of grief.