Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Default A bow for the wife

I never thought this day would come but my wife just told me she would like to start hunting with me. She would like to start with bow hunting. Any suggestions for a beginner/women's bow that won't break the bank?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:30 AM
Banned

I got the Diamond Infinite Edge for the wife. She really like it although we will probably look at a couple of other bows soon. I believe it was under $400 plus release and arrows. It's not the best bow out but is highly adjustable in both draw length and draw weight ranges.

I know there a few other brands putting out similar bows a well.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:17 PM

Mission bows are awesome for the price...look at the Craze
Neil
Old 01-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Not to sound like a jerk but one the fits and that she likes shooting. There are some highly adjustable bows that would fit the bill like the Diamond but she might hate shooting it.
That said we have 2 in my house one for my 14 year old son and one for my 10 year old daughter. For 300 bucks it's hard to beat and they are pretty easy to set up and adjust and reselling one is easy as it appeals to many people.
Take her to a shop get her to hold a few and see what she likes.
The accessories that come with the low priced beginner packages are dry low end but do the trick nicely. Plus they can be changed out simply as they wear of funds allow.

Good luck with your search!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:10 PM

Bear has three bows designed specifically for women:

Rumor
Bounty
Finesse

Try them at Cabela's and see if they work for you.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:36 PM

I second the infinite edge. Bought the girlfriend one for her birthday. I put the old sight and stabilizer from my bowtech assassin on it and it shoots like a charm. She's new to the sport too so the huge adjustment range is a plus as she can continuously increase it with practice. I got mine at jim bows in calgary for around $400. Jim just opened a shop in edmonton too if that's closer for you.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 PM

Really depends on her build and body, they all shoot/feel different and for females finding one with the right drawn and a poundage can be tricky all depending.

I got back into archery a few years ago and at the pro shop i worked at had me set up with a Hoyt Ruckus (jr bow but pretty sweet - I am not very big and can't pull more than 55 pounds), eventually had to buy my own so found the Diamond Edge to be ideal, felt smooth and was very affordable. 3 years down the line and now I just upgraded and adopted a super sweet APA Nano. Tried out 4 yesterday and couldn't be happier. This thing is set for the field (love that you don't need a bow press) and shoots like a dream.

Find a good shop that will set up a few for her and play around with. Where i went yesterday had very nice people but they didn't know what they were doing so well or how :S **painful**. Took me near 3 hours to get set up on 4 and they weren't that busy just inexperienced. Made sure i did a good once over after they would bring them out lol.. :/

Happy Shopping! and hell yeahs to her for getting into. That's awesome!!