Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default Most sought after salt water fly fishing

Just curious to hear your guys stories where in the tropics have you fly fished and fish you have caught?
Old 06-04-2015, 09:25 PM

My wife and I have fished in Belize for Bones Tarpon and Permit, Barracuda, and Mexico (Pacific North of PV) for Coco Naco, Jacks, Roosters, Dorado, Spanish Mackerel, Gigantic Mexican Needle Fish and many many many more.

If you go to the Punta Mita or Sayulita area let me know, I'll connect you with an awesome guide! If you go to Ambergris Caye (San Pedro) I can connect you as well!

Peter

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 06-04-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:47 AM

Smile

Fly fished in Grand Cayman. Caught too many bones to count. Several other tropical fish there like Sgt. Major and yellow jack. Hooked a tarpon for about 3 seconds. So I'm not sure if that guy counted.

Mexico both shores. Pacific and Atlantic. I'll always take the Atlantic over the Pacific any day. Went deep sea off Mazatlan. Caught Bonita, tuna, some fish that resembled a baracuda. But wasn't a cuda. I think it was a king fish.

Mexico on the Atlantic side. Fished across in Cozumel. Caught lots of bones on the fly. Also caught a baracuda. The guide didn't want to touch it. I grabbed it like a pike and took the hook out with my hemostats. The old guide looked at me like I was Kookoo for CocoPops.

Fished in Cuba. Caught the biggest bones I have ever caught there. They were not happy to be on a hook. Ran like a wild cat. Great fight.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 AM

Have fished both shores of Mexico but the only place I ever really had a harvest was with a fly rod on the flats of Ascencion Bay near Cancun. Lots of bonefish, lady fish, jacks. Saw a lot of barracuda but didn't land any. Oh, and crocodiles.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:06 PM

I really want to catch a roosterfish! Tarpon, jack and snook on the fly are also on my bucket list.

Last winter we were down in Mexico (Boca Paila) and I landed my first bonefish on the fly! Also caught a baby barracuda and some mangrove snappers on the fly. Caught a permit too but with a spinrod and bait so not as exciting.