Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2010, 12:26 PM

Question Berger VLD

OK so first off, please let this be a thread for factual information, not a this bullet vs that bullet, or a friend of a friend thought they sucked typical chat room as there are plenty of those out there already.

Of the people Who have actually tried them themselves, what do you think of the performance? Any pics of the actual damage done on big game? And if you have tried them in a 300wsm do you mind sharing the load information?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 PM

I have used them for a few years now and have killed about seven animals. All but one have been one shot kills (the one that required 2nd shot was my fault as the shot was back a little far); and ranged from 90 yards out to 450 yards with 300 WM 175 gr VLD. There wasn't much left of the bullets and all but one exited (90 yard did not exit) and all I could find was bits and pieces. There will be damaged meat if you put it in the wrong spot; if you put it in the vitals I don't think it would be any worse than any other bullet.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:34 PM

Default Bergers

I have used the 25 cal 115 gr Berger VLD's I was impressed at the groups that they shot. I am dissapointed in there on game performance. I hit a whitetail buck at about 165 yards right behind the shoulder, no ribs hit and the bullet still failed to exit. It was foggy and hard to see so I put 2 more in him to finish him. I have since changed to the Nosler Partition and I am super impressed how much those little bullets penetrate!

I have a few friends that use the Bergers in larger calibers, and they seem to work extremely well. I guess they just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 PM

One thing to remember with these bullets is that they are not designed to exit. They are a target bullet that happens to kill by not expanding until they are inside the animal. Once inside they expand very rapidly and generally turn the insides to a gooey mess.
The fellas that promote these bullets are almost always using that high shoulder shot that also has the shock wave bust up the spinal column as well as the vitals.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
One thing to remember with these bullets is that they are not designed to exit. They are a target bullet that happens to kill by not expanding until they are inside the animal. Once inside they expand very rapidly and generally turn the insides to a gooey mess.
The fellas that promote these bullets are almost always using that high shoulder shot that also has the shock wave bust up the spinal column as well as the vitals.
You are correct on what you say. I have used them on 4 deer and a elk. They all droped in there tracks Just like they say they do. or a step or two. It does not matter what bullet you use if you hit them in the right spot they will die. I like the fact that all the energy of the bullet is disipated through out the animal and not punched through with no real damadge like barnes or bullets like that(IMO).I shoot a 7mm Rum. I dont know how the other cals shoot.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
You are correct on what you say. I have used them on 4 deer and a elk. They all droped in there tracks Just like they say they do. or a step or two. It does not matter what bullet you use if you hit them in the right spot they will die. I like the fact that all the energy of the bullet is disipated through out the animal and not punched through with no real damadge like barnes or bullets like that(IMO).I shoot a 7mm Rum. I dont know how the other cals shoot.
This is the reason why I'm looking at these bullets in the first place. I shot a bull moose from about 150 yards down hill this fall with a 300 wsm. I was using accubonds at the time, and the bullet went straight through, cutting the veins off the heart. Small entance, small exit. No blood trail and the bull went about 40 yards before it dropped. The berger seems to shock the animal, and the same shot with a berger should have shreaded the heart.
The penetration of a bonded bullet is not important to me, as I won't shoot unless I have a broadside shot so the benifit of a bonded bullet to me isn't that much.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Perfect. Vitals turned into a gooey mess is just what I want. I shoot for the ribs, and theres not much meat there to waste anyway.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Banned

They work well and are accurate
Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 AM

I know you don't want to hear about anything other than bergers but if you want a good expanding bullet go with Barnes TTSX, they'll do the same thing at the speeds from your WSM but they won't explode. Just be aware that bergers are made of lead and that lead will contaminate your meat even where it doesn't appear to.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 AM

+1 my feelings exactly, shoot for the ribs and they do a better job than the rest, If your a guy who likes to take out shoulders then shoot a barnes copper rock at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
And Traps as for the lead poisioning... lead bullets have been used for hundred of years in hunting and i have never herd of any hunters getting lead poisoning. Not a concern at all. You probably drink more lead in a year from your tap water than eating a dozen bullets. Lead is just fine in small quantities.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
+1 my feelings exactly, shoot for the ribs and they do a better job than the rest, If your a guy who likes to take out shoulders then shoot a barnes copper rock at them.
well said.
lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Crazyfool....you've written enough that it warrants no further comment.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 AM

I haven't used them on game yet, but will this year. I have been doing some load development with them in a .260 AI for the last few weeks and have found them(both 130gr and 140gr) to fly very well using a couple of different powders.
Here are some groups and the range was 100m prone from a bipod.

I'll be testing them soon in a 7wsm as well.

One comment I would like to make is that I'm not sure how they would work on moose. I think the fragmentation may be a good thing with a larger calibre/heavier bullet combo like a .30 cal or larger with 200gr+ bullet, but I think in a smaller calibre(.270 or under) I would want a bonded bullet.
These are just my thoughts so if someone has any other experience with the bergers on moose I'd really like to hear about it.
Ivo
Old 02-18-2010, 01:45 PM

I have been shooting them for 2 years now, both in my target rifles and in my hunting rig. Accurracy in both is very good.
My hunting rig is a 308 Norma with 168 VLDs @ 3205'/s. I have shot one Mulie and 2 white tails with this load, and they did what they were meant to do. The first White tail had small pieces pass through, the Mulie had a complete pass through, and this years White tail fragmented inside and dropped the buck where he stood. If you want a bullet that is going to give you a pass through and penetration every time, then these are not what you want. If you want a bullet that turns the insides to mush and kills just as well as other bullets these will do just that.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
I haven't used them on game yet, but will this year. I have been doing some load development with them in a .260 AI for the last few weeks and have found them(both 130gr and 140gr) to fly very well using a couple of different powders.
Here are some groups and the range was 100m prone from a bipod.

I'll be testing them soon in a 7wsm as well.

One comment I would like to make is that I'm not sure how they would work on moose. I think the fragmentation may be a good thing with a larger calibre/heavier bullet combo like a .30 cal or larger with 200gr+ bullet, but I think in a smaller calibre(.270 or under) I would want a bonded bullet.
These are just my thoughts so if someone has any other experience with the bergers on moose I'd really like to hear about it.
Ivo
Some accurate loads there.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 PM

yup u should take those loads out to 400m and see how they do.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM

Default 210 30cal vld

Shot a deer at ~375yds that was in a group of 6 bucks, it was snowing and a little windy. When I got the scope back down on the group none of the deer had moved but the one I was shooting at had vanished. It tipped him over into the snow and he didn't move at all. The entrance was just in front of the shoulder right on the spine. The exit was big enough to put my fist in.

Plus they also shoot well out of my rifle. I've been quite happy.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 PM

Default Thanks guys.

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna give them a try. And I have the reload info from Berger if anybody wants it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Banned

The best advise that I can give is to make sure that your barrel twist is sufficient and that it's at least what is recommended on the Berger web site or on the box. Otherwise, you might spend a lot of time & burn a lot of powder.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Devastating hunting bullets you'll be glad that u tried them. Have had similar experiences, hard hitting and accurate. Mush internals is a very accurate statement. I dont think you would have any trouble with a moose or elk. I was unsure at first about the fragmentation and what that would do to the meat but i was pleasantly surprised. Good bullet
Old 02-27-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
I know you don't want to hear about anything other than bergers but if you want a good expanding bullet go with Barnes TTSX, they'll do the same thing at the speeds from your WSM but they won't explode. Just be aware that bergers are made of lead and that lead will contaminate your meat even where it doesn't appear to.
Traps the study your referring to was flawed you might want to recheck your info on that one.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Traps the study your referring to was flawed you might want to recheck your info on that one.
I am not quoting any study - just relying on my noggin.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Banned

Traps,

Whats wrong with a little lead in your pencil??, no one to write too,, just a joke,, I know what your saying, but I am not that concerned.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
I am not quoting any study - just relying on my noggin.
you need to get your noggin checked if you think lead bullets are a health hazard.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
you need to get your noggin checked if you think lead bullets are a health hazard.
Whitetailhntr,

You just set yourself up there! You want your bullet to be a health hazard... to the animal!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 AM

was in regards to the lead contamination comment....they are definately a health hazard to game.

Tags
berger, vld