Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2008, 03:24 PM

Default fishing around fort mcmurray

does anyone know where to fish around fort mcmurray thats not the atahbasca river.

i see in the regs it says there are a few stocked rainbow ponds around here anyone know if they still have rainbows or did they all winter kill?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:59 PM
stubblejumper

Engstrom lake was stocked regularly with rainbows,and it is usually possible to catch several trout in the 12" or better class.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Engstrom lake was stocked regularly with rainbows,and it is usually possible to catch several trout in the 12" or better class.
It was winter killed this year...or so I heard.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:02 PM
stubblejumper

It has been winter killed a few times,but they do restock it regularly.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
It has been winter killed a few times,but they do restock it regularly.
10-4...maybe that's the reason there are never any big fish caught there.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:10 PM
stubblejumper

In the last few years,Most of the fish I took through the ice were right around 12" and one pound.In years gone by,I have taken several over 2 pounds.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

I have only been there once and that was about six years ago so yeah I'm not really the guy to ask about fishing in Fort Mac..

Say...did you ever fish that man made lake (forgot the name) but it's to the left at the top of supertest hill? I was there once and only seen little itty bitty perch in it.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:35 PM
stubblejumper

I fished Ruth Lake a few times,but the perch were very small.Supposedly it winter killed years ago.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

Ruth lake yeah that's it...thanks for the info...
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I fished Ruth Lake a few times,but the perch were very small.Supposedly it winter killed years ago.
The perch that were in there were put there by the Syncrude biologits apparantly.
They at one time were quite a size, but the place got decimated pretty quick.
There are red horse in there as well, and some pike too.

A short walk down to the mouth of Poplar creek for non boaters or the mouth of the macKay would be a lot more enjoyable IMHO than messing around at Ruth!
Cat
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 AM

We fished Gregoire lake once. Amazing number of pike[small] and the father in Law caught a Walleye, on a piece of breakfast sausage.
Grizz
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
ditchdonkey

Default Fort McMurray Fishing

On the Airport road(Hwy.69) there are 2 stocked trout ponds. The first on is right beside the Golden Eagle Campsite,as soon as you pull off the highway there is a "Y"in the road...take the right hand road and go up the little hill.The second one is down the same highway on the road to R and D Autowreckers....just past McKenzie Kennels.....go early in the year as this one gets overgrown with weeds by June.Both these ponds have pan size trout and catch well on pickerel rigs.

There is one more on highway 63 just past the Motor cross park.It is in the new construction zone.....on the right hand side ....lots of little perch in there and the trout are small.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:37 PM

thanks alot ditchdonkey i heard there was stocked trout ponds out airport road somewhere i just didnt know how to get to them.

thanks for the info will head out there this days off
Old 05-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Default Fort Mac fishing

I have had my best luck at the East texaco trout pond for ones of size (12-14inches). Highway 63 Trout pond has lots of smaller trout and tonnes of little perch, biggest Perch I have caught is like 7 inches. Fished Engstrom once in the winter and never got any bites, but seen one trout in the 14-16" range, would have loved to catch that one...
Gregiore from what i have heard can produce very good pike and walleye fishing. I fished it today for only about 1 hour mostly to the south of the island. On my second cast I caught a nice walleye about 18" or so that put up a great fight for its size and thought we were in store for a good day of fishing... never got a bite after that! I look forward to spendiong some time there this summer for sure though...
JBLS
Old 05-25-2008, 08:42 PM

hey jbls. east texaco pond is that one of the same ones ditchdonkey was talking about because i went out to both of them with the old lady and my daughter never caught anything.

but to be fair didnt get to fish all that long because they got bored pretty quickly. I myself am gonna try to make it out there again.

maybe i will take my daughter out to the highway 63 pond see if we can catch some small perch.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:42 PM

Hey Beermilk,
East Texaco and West Texaco are the ones on airport road. I have only fished East Texaco, and it seemed that pickrel rig with pink powerbait and red salmon eggs worked the best, never got any on worms.

Good luck next time, let me know how you make out. If I make it out to one of them I will post on how I do.

Good Luck,
JBLS
Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM

Hey i made it out to east texaco toaday for a few hours had no luck seen a few jumping and another guy there said he caught a few other day.

so i went for a drive down to gregoire lake and caught a few small pike and a walley. the wife caught her first pike today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bow 009.jpg (98.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg bow 011.jpg (96.0 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg fish.jpg (74.8 KB, 172 views)
Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 PM

Out of the two texaco ponds, which is east and which one is west. ditchmonkey gives good directions to each, but im not sure which is which.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 PM

Beermilk, glad to hear you at least had some sucsess at Gregiore, to bad you never got into any at teaxco though.

DBS16, West Texaco is the first one located right off the highway to the right at the "Y" and East texaco is the one located past the autowreckers and snowmobile club.

JBLS
Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 AM

Has anyone noticed that the 2008 stocking report so far hasnt shown any fish stocked at any of the normal lakes, including engstrom, both texacos and highway 63. Previous 2006 and 2008 reports say that they have normally stocked the fish in May.

Any ideas why there are late in stocking or if they are skipping the NB4 region?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermilk View Post
does anyone know where to fish around fort mcmurray thats not the atahbasca river.

i see in the regs it says there are a few stocked rainbow ponds around here anyone know if they still have rainbows or did they all winter kill?
I know you said "not athabasca" but... that river has some monsters in it. If you follow the creek at the bottom of supertest to where it runs in to the athabasca there is some good fishing. Big pike walleye and we even caught a few grayling there one time.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 AM

i know the creek your talking about poplar creek maybe i will give that a try my next days off. this days off i will be heading up to six lakes with bunch of guys from work. i have never been up there but they tell me there are some big fish up there and i will get to check out the sand dunes which should be cool
Old 03-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Wondering if anyone might know how to get to cowpar lake and can you drive close to the lake so you can keep watch on your vehicle.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM

I see most of these posts are well over 2 years ago.

I went down to Gregoire Lake twice, first time got a good size pike right out of the bat (first cast), however that was the only one that day. Second day didn't get bites.

Have tried in several places on the Athabasca river:

1.- Right by the water treatment plant, had to leave, 2 bears swimming towards us.
2.- Right behind Walmart, seen some people fishing there, however I had no luck both times I went.
3.- Right behind my buildings, south of Franklin, right at the end.

So, in conclusion, 4 places, just 1 fish. I have gotten frustrated to the point I pretty much decided to quit fishing here in Alberta.

Can you guys help a fellow Angler in need?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Default Whats the name of the pond near the sno drifters club house

Anyone know the name of the pond by sno drifters?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM

I can help. Don't fish in Alberta. That leaves more for the rest of us.

Seriously, though. Tailwaters are difficult in a boat, let alone from shore. I only bother with shorecasting in terminal (i.e. head or tails...) waters. Like either Lynx Creek (closed to angling but a good geographical example) or Great Slave Lake.

Everthing else by boat, chief.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:16 PM

deleted