Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2015, 07:44 PM

Exclamation twin valley ice conditions

if you want to drive on, I highly recommend you don't. there are three large open water spots at the main launch and weak rapidly degrading shore ice at the other. other than that a gorgeous walk on day, slow bite and sighted several bigguns but only one committed to the bait. 102cm's and caught in 5 fow. sending pics to another member to post as I don't do internet with my phone.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:51 PM

wanted to note that I was using a #4 single bass hook with a smelt head and a tiny bit of a jig tail (white) without a weight on a steel leader. by smelt head, I mean just the head not half a smelt. Also, I was jigging between 6 and 15 inches under the ice. my guess is the fish are shoveling shrimp from the underside of the ice. At one point, two hens passed at the same time and another so close to the surface that I could have touched her back. the ice where I was fishing was about 5 inches.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the tip about driving-was thinking of heading out tomorrow. I caught one 65cm out there last week and it was just under the ice as well. Ice was perfectly clear and it swam right under me so I grabbed the line and jigged it then it turned around and bit using half smelt on jig head. That was the only one in 3hrs though.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 PM

Wow I can't believe how quickly the ice has degraded. I fish this lake frequently the last time being this past Saturday. I drove on the lake for 3kms to get to my spot and the ice was 18". There was no standing water and snow drifts everywhere. No problem driving on and off. This was only a few days ago
Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 AM

Hi
I have a question re:twin valley res. we fished there about a month ago and caught 3-4 pike that had large very red and raw looking marks on their sides. they were like the picture in the thread "infected pike" dated 01-29-15. not the black dot one but further down the thread. What would cause such sores??
Old 01-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Suspended User

Default re

probably all the nasty sewage from high river that lake was gross in the late summer. nothing but slimy pike in there gross lake!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 PM

Fish seem just fine out of there to me. Taste pretty darn good as well with all the shrimp that they eat.

I would like to see a pike that wasn't slimy...
Old 01-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Suspended User

Default re

thats just gross!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Punched about 8 holes on Saturday, Ice was anywhere from 16-18" thick.

Saw a couple of trucks on the ice, pretty quiet day, with the change to colder temps. Wind died in the afternoon and sun came out and it was a pretty nice day.

Only managed a couple where we were.