Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 03:53 PM

Default GPS for marking honey holes

Just curious if anyone uses a GPS to mark spots on lakes either in summer or winter. I'm thinking of getting a GPS myself for hunting, hiking and possibly fishing. I don't really feel like buying the chart topper, but curious if anyone has suggestions. I've been looking at Garmin's Etrex 10 among a few others.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
Just curious if anyone uses a GPS to mark spots on lakes either in summer or winter. I'm thinking of getting a GPS myself for hunting, hiking and possibly fishing. I don't really feel like buying the chart topper, but curious if anyone has suggestions. I've been looking at Garmin's Etrex 10 among a few others.
GPS technology is available on many sonar/fish finder units. I use it and many others do as well.

It is a GREAT feature. Puts you right on the spot.

The handhelds, I would assume, do exactly the same thing.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:08 PM

I use my GPS (Garmin Rino 120) to mark some winter fishing spots. I've also found it helpful to mark where my deer went down if I have to go back to the truck for some reason. If you're just looking for basic functions like marking waypoints, pretty much any inexpensive GPS will work. The ones with more memory, the ability to download maps, etc., cost a bit more. However, you don't have to pay a lot for a GPS with a great deal of features, many of which you will probably never use/
Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 PM

I guess my question of concern is in regards to how far North I could potentially be. I have been reading about downloading maps, etc, and can't seem to find a straight answer on whether or not it is essential.

I just want a GPS that I can take in hand and mark spot Y on Lake X in summer or winter, and come back the next week, season or year and find the same spot within an acceptable range (I understand they can be within 5 meter or so?). And the reason I prefer the idea of the handheld is for it's versatility in tracking and marking downed animals, using both in summer and winter on water, etc.

Anyone else got one they have and enjoy?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:33 PM

Default yup

I have an Garmin Etrex that I still use. Its a hand held and it goes everywhere with me when I am hunting and fishing. Marks spots, tracks and routes, give sun up and sun down times. great tool

very basic model, no maps though
Old 01-29-2015, 04:42 PM

I got a garmin etrex 30 for Christmas this year. Haven't got a lot of time to try it out but I did put a new map on it which wasn't needed, but helped greatly and made it just that much better. The waypoints on it are perfect for marking spots down that you want to come back to accurately and it has a nice tracking system I like. I do a lot of quading too so the tracking works great as it shows exactly where you've traveled, it makes it really hard to get lost with that. I'm not sure if lower models have that or not though. For the times I've used it in this past month I couldn't be happier with it, I originally wanted just what you were after too but the extra features with the etrex 30 sure turned out to be nice.

The etrex 10 will do just what your after for cheaper than the etrex 30 if you don't want those extras. Either way you go with the etrex I don't think you can go wrong for what you are after
Old 01-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Thank you guys. I'm certain the answers are out there... but reading comprehension is not where I shine and I find formal reviews and descriptions on websites trying to sell the item are too wordy for my brain. I will be on the prowl for an etrex by the sound of things!!
Old 01-29-2015, 05:00 PM

I have a Lowrance Ifinder Hunt hand held. I really like it. Rarely use it on my boat though(Most of my Fish finders have it).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM

Default gps for old guys

yea i need a very very simple[ phone like] water proof fishing gps for under 150 bucks 20 lakes 20 spots on each lake with longitude and latitude for each spot and no more , you can phone and tell buddy longitude and latitude he punches the numbers in then punches go to and he will get close that would be sweet , keep a hand log for back up and when you die the kids can sell it to the highest bidder
Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Banned

A buddy that I regulary fish with has a handheld that he has been marking sweet spots on the lakes that he fishes for years, and he swears by it (he does put us on some great spots).
I plan to do the same with my Garmin 76csx.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Banned

I have had a hand held GPS for many years, and they are very handy, especially for ice fishing. Garmin is the big gun with regard to hand held GPS. Lots of bells and whistles out there but the the only thing I would suggest is getting one with the function buttons on the front, much easier to use IMO, and the screens are usually a bit bigger.

I am still using an old Garmin Emap that I bought in 2000. Supposedly the internal battery in them at the time was only suppose to last about 7 years, but I just used it again last weekend, 15 years and still going strong.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Gone Hunting

I have iFish Alberta app for my iPhone.

Not only I can mark honey hole but also I can see other people honey holes posted on given lake.
On Buck Lake south is 26 spots marked, there is access to Ice reports, Lake report/feedback 357 at the moment.
Access to current regulations, depth charts, best times to fish,boat Launch locations.

I have Garmin 350 but mostly stays home or is used as buck up.

I think is 6$.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-30-2015, 08:22 AM

I use the Lowrance Elite 4 Ice machine , it has built in GPS, Flasher, Sonar, Navi, mapping etc... I love it, been marking sweet spots all winter, I have navionics loaded on it and it is nice, no more drilling holes to find rough depth, just look on the screen , it tells me the depths and structure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
I use the Lowrance Elite 4 Ice machine , it has built in GPS, Flasher, Sonar, Navi, mapping etc... I love it, been marking sweet spots all winter, I have navionics loaded on it and it is nice, no more drilling holes to find rough depth, just look on the screen , it tells me the depths and structure
I run Navionics card for Canada Lakes and on the West Coast Ocean. I also have the app on my phone I find the few Canada lakes that are covered on the navionics chip are pretty poor where they must use really old data or its just plain off. Drop offs off by 100 yards, non existent humps etc.
The West coast is waaaaay more accurate!!

I have a Lowrance HDS 8 on the boat and I run a Lowrance H2O Handheld for marking spots or my phone.

I will note that if you have a device to either make sure you never lose it or take the time to download or copy your waypoints somewhere else.

I had my old Lowrance GPS fish finder swiped from my boat one day lost ALL my west coast pinnacle's and halibut holes most other spots I know and were able to find again but there are a few that I have never found again despite trying.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I run Navionics card for Canada Lakes and on the West Coast Ocean. I also have the app on my phone I find the few Canada lakes that are covered on the navionics chip are pretty poor where they must use really old data or its just plain off. Drop offs off by 100 yards, non existent humps etc.
The West coast is waaaaay more accurate!!

I have a Lowrance HDS 8 on the boat and I run a Lowrance H2O Handheld for marking spots or my phone.

I will note that if you have a device to either make sure you never lose it or take the time to download or copy your waypoints somewhere else.

I had my old Lowrance GPS fish finder swiped from my boat one day lost ALL my west coast pinnacle's and halibut holes most other spots I know and were able to find again but there are a few that I have never found again despite trying.
Cool, Never thought of that , I try and keep logs in a book also, but that's a great point. Do I just take the Sd Card out and load it into my PC ?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Default Garmin Etrex hand held GPS units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
Thank you guys. I'm certain the answers are out there... but reading comprehension is not where I shine and I find formal reviews and descriptions on websites trying to sell the item are too wordy for my brain. I will be on the prowl for an etrex by the sound of things!!
Most handheld gps units come with land maps. Since you will be marking fishing spots, make sure the unit you buy has the ability to accept a chip because you will likely need to purchase a Navionics Canadian freshwater map package that shows topographical maps of lakes. I have used a Garmin Etrex 20 for several years. It will handle several way points, show your tracks and save routes as well. It sometimes looses the satellites when in thick bush but works great otherwise. OOPS- Garmin have their own maps. Please disregard the Navionics comment.

Last edited by trowland; 01-30-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: incorrect information
Old 01-30-2015, 09:34 AM

Not to mention that if you are going in or out in fog or whiteout you have a line to follow.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Default GPS for marking honey holes

I tried it once. Keeps taking me back to the barstool where she was sitting, but she is never there. Hope she didn't die.....
Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
Cool, Never thought of that , I try and keep logs in a book also, but that's a great point. Do I just take the Sd Card out and load it into my PC ?
I use Humminbird PC to back up all my waypoints and transfer marks from boat units to my ice units.

Im sure lowrance has a similar program.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
I use Humminbird PC to back up all my waypoints and transfer marks from boat units to my ice units.

Ty !

Old 01-30-2015, 03:03 PM

I use the bush bell hunt rack. No map, just a tracking unit and it marked 30 locations by number. Can be overlAyed to google maps, there is no subscription. Battery life sucks in cold weather, it takes aaa batteries.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:44 PM

I use a Garmin Oregon with Alberta Backroads loaded up.
Its way easier to see features when you are looking at a map rather than a black line. You can store 100's of waypoints with different lables and download eveything on Google earth for viewing anytime.

Last edited by nast70; 01-30-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:21 PM

If you have cell service the Navionics app for your phone plots waypoints. I use it every time I fish. $15 and has depth charts for quite a few of the lakes in AB.
I always mark the holes that produce nice fish, you'd be surprised how many times it will out fish another hole 10' away on a vast weed flat that has no irregularities to it.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:28 PM

I have a Garmin 600 Montana handheld for winter fishing as well as Hummingbird side/down imaging with GPS on my boat. Invaluable tools for the avid outdoorsman. Too many advantages to list and a must have technology in my book. The saying is that "90% of the fish can be in 10% of the water", well you can increase your odds with GPS technology.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 PM

I use phone apps. I have a garmin gps but I would rather use apps on my iphone. Navionics app is great.................gps with water depth. I'm talkin ice fishing here.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post

I do the exact same thing ..... hummingbird has a free download program available.

You can mix/match and combine lowrance and hummingbird waypoints on the program. The only difference is the file extension, which is easily changed to accommodate the brand of the unit you are running.

Here is the video on how to do it ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKMq_PWSSII

All your waypoints are backed up on your PC, all your units have all the waypoints and it's quite easy to use.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:33 AM

Cell phone apps are the way to go and most don't need to have service
Old 01-31-2015, 07:41 AM

Default More info on cell phone apps

I have a Samsung Galaxy 4 and looking for recommendations for apps to download-preferably free. I just downloaded Navionics Boating Free but noticed that the actual app costs $65. I have just started playing around with it but it doesnt appear to contain many of the lakes for Alberta and not much info.

Any recommendations would be great.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown View Post
Cell phone apps are the way to go and most don't need to have service
For what it's worth cell phone GPS's are not nearly as accurate as dedicated GPS devices or the ones that you would likely find on your fish finders. This may or may not be a problem for you though.