Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Cold Lake

I was out today and it looked like I could see trucks east of the big heave. How did they get there. I could not find where they crossed.

Fishing was slow. I caught one (small) my buddy caught 2 and one was over 75.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:02 AM

Im heading out for the day monday. Are people driving 1 tons on? I would like to go to Garnett, but will prob just go to the Marina, or off the PP.. im working, and dont need any issues getting off. I will walk if i have to..lol
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Im heading out for the day monday. Are people driving 1 tons on? I would like to go to Garnett, but will prob just go to the Marina, or off the PP.. im working, and dont need any issues getting off. I will walk if i have to..lol
There is lots of ice. Around 30 inches. But can't get to Garnet with a truck because of the heave.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:35 AM

I was out yesterday, I was east down the lake (used skidoo's), I only seen a couple of guys on Quads at Garnet, that ice heave is pretty intimidating, fishing was ok, landed 6 in 4 hours
Old 02-26-2017, 07:36 PM

There was a group of us out for the weekend and watched a guy try and cross the heave by Garnett point and his front tires broke through.he Got out with lots of pulling from a guy in our group. I wouldn't suggest crossing that heave in a truck quite yet. Give it another week or so of cold weather atleast.. was like 8 degrees just a week ago and been pretty warm up until early this week. On another note fishing was very slow for our whole group pretty much.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=splake0;3481081]There is lots of ice. Around 30 inches. But can't get to Garnet with a truck because of the heave.[/QUOTE

Thanks splake0. Im all by my lonesome off the marina.. doesnt look like its been fished much lately.. pretty slow, 3 shorts, 70cm biggest so far, may try off the PP this afternoon. Considering im "working" not a bad way to spend the day! Lol
Old 02-27-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
There was a group of us out for the weekend and watched a guy try and cross the heave by Garnett point and his front tires broke through.he Got out with lots of pulling from a guy in our group. I wouldn't suggest crossing that heave in a truck quite yet. Give it another week or so of cold weather atleast.. was like 8 degrees just a week ago and been pretty warm up until early this week. On another note fishing was very slow for our whole group pretty much.
Good on you for helping out! Sounds like it was safe enough to do so.
Always freaky, I would imagine, but Cold is one of those lakes that I would for sure poop my drawers. That can be one scary lake.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Banned

And your truck doesn't go down 20-30 ft. It goes down 100ft.. Enjoy that recovery bill..... make smart decisions out there.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Good on you for helping out! Sounds like it was safe enough to do so.
Always freaky, I would imagine, but Cold is one of those lakes that I would for sure poop my drawers. That can be one scary lake.
Wasn't myself that helped him out but another guy in our group. But ya this year especially it's really sketchy out there
Old 03-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Never did get an answer about crossing the heave.

Was in FBay today for 5 hours. Landed 4 lost 3. Lots following

Biggest 70 cms
Old 03-05-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Never did get an answer about crossing the heave.

Was in FBay today for 5 hours. Landed 4 lost 3. Lots following

Biggest 70 cms
I was out on Friday east down the lake, there was a guy in a 1 ton with a trailer parked close to the shore at Garnet Beach, his tracks came from the PP so he did cross the heave somewhere
Old 03-05-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbloom View Post
I was out on Friday east down the lake, there was a guy in a 1 ton with a trailer parked close to the shore at Garnet Beach, his tracks came from the PP so he did cross the heave somewhere
Not sure did not go that far north today. I did see the same in FBay last weekend.