Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 09:17 AM

Default New boat battery

Just bought 16' Vanguard with 120 hp outboard motor
Need new battery
What do you guys recommend ?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:33 AM

Are you looking for deep cycle or starting battery?

For deep cycle, I went to the Trojan brand from battery world. Very happy with them - 24 volt system for trolling motors. They seem to last a lot longer than the Mercury brand I was using.

I think they also have starter batteries but have not used them yet. I think when my starter battery needs replacing, will definitely look at Trojan for this as well.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:36 AM

Costco
Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Keep in mind , that you get what you pay for.

Get a Trojan from Battery world, you pay a little more but that battery will last a lot longer and it also keep it's charge in the event that it is not used for months.

Costco batteries are Garbage
Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 AM

Trojan/ Battery world warranty is crap.
I have a 62 lb anchor weight now as one of my 2 Trojan T-105's is bad after 2.5 years.
Crappy tire battery warranty is better.

TBark
Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiseeker View Post
Are you looking for deep cycle or starting battery?

For deep cycle, I went to the Trojan brand from battery world. Very happy with them - 24 volt system for trolling motors. They seem to last a lot longer than the Mercury brand I was using.

I think they also have starter batteries but have not used them yet. I think when my starter battery needs replacing, will definitely look at Trojan for this as well.
Deep cycle or starting? Have no clue
Battery that will start motor and run gadgets on boat , I guess.
Does battery recharge when you run motor/ boat ?

New to boating, so gat to ask all this " stupid " questions
Old 02-28-2017, 10:45 AM

You are after a starter battery then.

Most boats will have a charging system built in. Your boat is big enough I would be 99% sure you have a charging system built in. One battery will start your motor and will charge as you run the engine. The system will run your sonar units, gauges, etc. Just remember, when you have the engine off, and are still running or using your gadgets / gauges it will draw down your battery (just like a car).

Deep cycle batteries will be for electric trolling motors, so no to the deep cycle for now until you install a trolling motor.

Starter batteries are much more common and so you should be fine with any battery - just get the requirements you need from your engine manual.

I would also suggest you install a trickle charging system to keep your battery topped up at all times. You'll get longer life and better performance. Also, just like a car again - I'd suggest you bring your battery indoors to store over winter.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiseeker View Post
You are after a starter battery then.

Most boats will have a charging system built in. Your boat is big enough I would be 99% sure you have a charging system built in. One battery will start your motor and will charge as you run the engine. The system will run your sonar units, gauges, etc. Just remember, when you have the engine off, and are still running or using your gadgets / gauges it will draw down your battery (just like a car).

Deep cycle batteries will be for electric trolling motors, so no to the deep cycle for now until you install a trolling motor.

Starter batteries are much more common and so you should be fine with any battery - just get the requirements you need from your engine manual.

I would also suggest you install a trickle charging system to keep your battery topped up at all times. You'll get longer life and better performance. Also, just like a car again - I'd suggest you bring your battery indoors to store over winter.
Thanks a lot !!
Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 PM

You'll need a Deep Cycle/Starting. Bigger the better, Group 27 size
I've had many from Costco over the years and always been great. Your motor will Charge as you drive.If you are planning to add an electric motor then that would run off of a separate Deep Cycle battery.

If you plan on adding any accessories to your boat and need a hand let me know, I can give you a hand or advice, I'm in Edmonton
Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical View Post
Keep in mind , that you get what you pay for.

Get a Trojan from Battery world, you pay a little more but that battery will last a lot longer and it also keep it's charge in the event that it is not used for months.

Costco batteries are Garbage

doesnt Costco sell interstate batteries? I never really considered them to be garbage....:
Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

I wouldn't be as concerned about the name on the battery as the info on it. A good starting battery will have have high cranking amps, while a good deep cycle will have a high reserve capacity (usually in minutes). For a deep cycle I try to buy one with at least 180 minute reserve, which may be the Series 29 battery, or a 200 minute which I believe is a Series 31 battery. Reserve capacity is based on a 25 amp draw/hr.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I wouldn't be as concerned about the name on the battery as the info on it. A good starting battery will have have high cranking amps, while a good deep cycle will have a high reserve capacity (usually in minutes). For a deep cycle I try to buy one with at least 180 minute reserve, which may be the Series 29 battery, or a 200 minute which I believe is a Series 31 battery. Reserve capacity is based on a 25 amp draw/hr.
Yup. And it appears that he wants a starting battery. In my research last year (when I bought both) I came to the conclusion that a so-called "deep cycle/starting battery" isn't optimum for either use. My only issue is that I don't have an easy way to recharge the deep cycle for the trolling motor short of pulling it out of the boat and taking it home.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Yup. And it appears that he wants a starting battery. In my research last year (when I bought both) I came to the conclusion that a so-called "deep cycle/starting battery" isn't optimum for either use.
I also adhere to the 'two types of batteries' school of thought; starting battery for the main motor and deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
My only issue is that I don't have an easy way to recharge the deep cycle for the trolling motor short of pulling it out of the boat and taking it home.
It sounds like you keep your boat in storage without access to power. This may soon be my situation as well. I can see how charging the batteries can be an issue.
How, exactly, do you charge your deep cycle batteries? I'm not seeing a convenient solution.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

It sounds like you keep your boat in storage without access to power. This may soon be my situation as well. I can see how charging the batteries can be an issue.
How, exactly, do you charge your deep cycle batteries? I'm not seeing a convenient solution.
That's exactly my predicament. Boat is stored at an outside facility with no power. However, I have both a 15 hp kicker and an electric trolling motor. The upstart of that is that I've only ever used the electric one time to try it out. I use the kicker for trolling as it's more convenient. Uses same gas tank as my 115 hp main.

Knowing nothing about boats or batteries when I bought the boat I naively thought I could somehow arrange or hook things up to have the main motor charge the starting battery AND the deep cycle. Apparently not. Then I figured I'd have to bring the battery home each time to charge it. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just leave the electric trolling motor and the deep cycle battery ashore and avoid the dead weight. I'm not sure in what situations I'd want to use the electric over the gas.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:10 PM

[/QUOTE]Knowing nothing about boats or batteries when I bought the boat I naively thought I could somehow arrange or hook things up to have the main motor charge the starting battery AND the deep cycle. Apparently not. Then I figured I'd have to bring the battery home each time to charge it. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just leave the electric trolling motor and the deep cycle battery ashore and avoid the dead weight. I'm not sure in what situations I'd want to use the electric over the gas.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever considered a minn kota DC onboard charger? or another type of combiner?
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Batter...ator-Chargers/
Old 03-05-2017, 05:48 PM

For what its worth I have had good luck with the Interstate green top batteries from their store in Edmonton. When I bought my boat used it had an Interstate in it. The boat had sat outside for 3-4 years winter and all. Owner was old and getting pretty ill, I had to pull the boat out with my truck and decided to try starting it. Engine actually turned over strong. I'm still using that battery in my ice fishing shack for the last 4 winters as it holds a charge and runs a load .
Old 03-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Costco. Have had 3 for 10 years and still going strong. With all batteries through them on the charger a couple times through out the winter.