Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 PM

I actually enjoyed the hunting component, as it just struck me as average hunters chasing game - kinda like most of us - but the cheese factor, and painful attempts at humour ruined it beyond repair.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
PVR, watch the shows that suit my fancy, skip the commercials.

No complaints.
Yup, cant remember the last time i had to watch a commercial on a hunting show.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Have never seen any of your shows Wildside so can't comment on your show. Just commenting on the industry as a whole. I think the market for hunting shows is to small to support a network, especially when half the content makes you groan or facepalm. In fact I think many of these shows make hunters look like blood thirsty trigger happy wackjobs, drawing negative attention when the killing of an animal is sensationalized. Some of these shows with people face painted up like some Hollywood mercenary, hooting, hollering, high fiving, dancing around like they just won the Olympic hockey gold medal after they kill something. When a fence sitter flips through the channels and sees this sort of stuff they often get offended, many who never really though about hunting much or just had a casual interest get turned off, spurring some to turn against hunting, even some diehard hunters get sickened by the content of some of these shows and that is why network viewership is stagnant or falling off.

I think the hunting film industry has a steep hill to climb before it is successful. The hunting film industry opened the store before they had enough quality product on the shelves to sell. They killed the market by selling junk. It takes big money and professional filmmakers to produce quality programming especially when they have to produce such material in an unpredictable environment filming subjects they cannot control or cut and re shoot. Unfortunately much of the programming looks like badly made home movies or late night infomercials. The deck is stacked against entertaining palatable hunting filmmaking.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Have never seen any of your shows Wildside so can't comment on your show. Just commenting on the industry as a whole. I think the market for hunting shows is to small to support a network, especially when half the content makes you groan or facepalm. In fact I think many of these shows make hunters look like blood thirsty trigger happy wackjobs, drawing negative attention when the killing of an animal is sensationalized. Some of these shows with people face painted up like some Hollywood mercenary, hooting, hollering, high fiving, dancing around like they just won the Olympic hockey gold medal after they kill something. When a fence sitter flips through the channels and sees this sort of stuff they often get offended, many who never really though about hunting much or just had a casual interest get turned off, spurring some to turn against hunting, even some diehard hunters get sickened by the content of some of these shows and that is why network viewership is stagnant or falling off.

I think the hunting film industry has a steep hill to climb before it is successful. The hunting film industry opened the store before they had enough quality product on the shelves to sell. They killed the market by selling junk. It takes big money and professional filmmakers to produce quality programming especially when they have to produce such material in an unpredictable environment filming subjects they cannot control or cut and re shoot. Unfortunately much of the programming looks like badly made home movies or late night infomercials. The deck is stacked against entertaining palatable hunting filmmaking.
I stopped watching Wild TV a few years ago too much commercials too much long range shooting and yes I agree with you post

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

You do make some valid points, but I doubt that many of the fence sitters pay the extra $3 a month, so most will likely never see Wildtv while filpping the channels, or even be aware that it exists.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
MY WHOLE POINT.....we need to support guys like myself. I do it for no other reason than to share my own experiences in the field. I do it for fun. Us film guys are in fact part of the same community of outdoorsman as every guy that comes on here and blasts verbal poop. I'm flabbergasted there isn't more support for local video products that manage to go mainstream.
Well Jeff, it seem we have a lot in common. See I hunt and fish for fun too.
And I support your right to hunt and fish, but your films are another matter.

First, I have never said anything on here about my preferences in TV or video.
I know nothing about Wild TV and I'm not a fan of youtube.
I have never said one source is better then another.

But I will now.

I tried the Hunting Channel for six months.

I guess I'm more into doing then watching because I found it boring, and too many ads.

I understand the need to finance any activity, of course you have every right to employ sponsors that run ads, if that's what you want to do.
And I have the right to not watch if I don't want to.

I support your right to hunt and fish but I have no obligation to support your product just because it's about hunting or fishing.
That also is my right.

You want to make your product my obligation, but it's really just another product.

I support your right to hunt and fish but I have no obligation to finance your activities in that regard. I support your right to make videos or TV shows if you want to, but I have no obligation to finance that activity either.

What I'm trying to say is I'll support you rights, but I'll only pay for your product if I want to buy it.

It's as simple as that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Well Jeff, it seem we have a lot in common. See I hunt and fish for fun too.
And I support your right to hunt and fish, but your films are another matter.

First, I have never said anything on here about my preferences in TV or video.
I know nothing about Wild TV and I'm not a fan of youtube.
I have never said one source is better then another.

But I will now.

I tried the Hunting Channel for six months.

I guess I'm more into doing then watching because I found it boring, and too many ads.

I understand the need to finance any activity, of course you have every right to employ sponsors that run ads, if that's what you want to do.
And I have the right to not watch if I don't want to.

I support your right to hunt and fish but I have no obligation to support your product just because it's about hunting or fishing.
That also is my right.

You want to make your product my obligation, but it's really just another product.

I support your right to hunt and fish but I have no obligation to finance your activities in that regard. I support your right to make videos or TV shows if you want to, but I have no obligation to finance that activity either.

What I'm trying to say is I'll support you rights, but I'll only pay for your product if I want to buy it.

It's as simple as that.
Morning to you too keg. Now, ive had plenty of good convos with you over the years...both public and pm. One thing that doesn't seem to be kosher to me however, is a condescending public post for no other reason than to be condescending. I haven't once been a jerk on this thread. I left the door open for constructive convo. I was polite. You come in like a tool to be frank with you.

And by the way, you missed the entire point of the quote you quoted. Have a good one bud.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Morning to you too keg. Now, ive had plenty of good convos with you over the years...both public and pm. One thing that doesn't seem to be kosher to me however, is a condescending public post for no other reason than to be condescending. I haven't once been a jerk on this thread. I left the door open for constructive convo. I was polite. You come in like a tool to be frank with you.

And by the way, you missed the entire point of the quote you quoted. Have a good one bud.

I think you missed the point of my post.

In my honest opinion there is a lot of comment on AO that is mean spirited. It was not my intent to be that way.

You said;
Quote:
we need to support guys like myself
So how do I support you and in what context? Are you talking about your hunting activity or your film making activity?
From your post I gather that you are talking about your films.

So how do I support your films? Now here is where I may have misunderstood you. See the only way that comes to my mind is to watch your videos and to not complain about the ads or the production quality.

As I pointed out, I have never commented about you films or any other of that nature, here, or anywhere on the web.

So that leaves me with watching your films and I'm saying to you, why should I do that.

Honestly I don't get where you are coming from. You say I was condescending. How so?

How do I say to you, the customer is always right, even when they are being mean spirited.

Because, bottom line, if they like my product they will buy it and not complain.
If they complain then I need to figure out why.

As I said, I know nothing about your product and I don't think I have ever commented about it here or elsewhere.

But I am a business man and I know that no matter what my customers say or do, it is in my best interests to listen and learn.
If my product isn't selling or is getting a lot of negative comment it's up to me to do something about it.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it is how I operate my business and it works for me.

I offer that not as criticism or as negative comment but as something to consider and if you think it doesn't make sense to you it won't hurt my feelings at all if you ignore what I say.

But I'll admit it would make me very happy if you would find something worth considering in my comment and then use that to increase your films popularity.

To me, that is support.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 AM

Keg is expressing his opinion, I personally did not find it condescending. He just stated if he likes something he will support it.

LC
Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I will pass on The Boneyard. I'm sure they are nice fellas, but I won't waste 30 minutes on their show. IMO, it is the cheesiest show to ever air.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
I doubt that any show could ever be as cheesy as the Dimestore Fisherman.

Like most people, I choose to watch shows that have likeable personalities, and that share my interests. I can put up with so so hosts if they are showing a type of hunting that I enjoy, but if I really don't like/respect the host or I don't like the type of hunting, I won't watch the show, regardless of how great the camerawork is, or how well the show is put together. As for supporting these types of shows, I feel no obligation to support any show, that I have no interest in watching. If you want to put on a show, good for you, but don't expect hunters to support you just because you are producing a hunting show.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I think you missed the point of my post.

In my honest opinion there is a lot of comment on AO that is mean spirited. It was not my intent to be that way.

You said;

So how do I support you and in what context? Are you talking about your hunting activity or your film making activity?
From your post I gather that you are talking about your films.

So how do I support your films? Now here is where I may have misunderstood you. See the only way that comes to my mind is to watch your videos and to not complain about the ads or the production quality.

As I pointed out, I have never commented about you films or any other of that nature, here, or anywhere on the web.

So that leaves me with watching your films and I'm saying to you, why should I do that.

Honestly I don't get where you are coming from. You say I was condescending. How so?

How do I say to you, the customer is always right, even when they are being mean spirited.

Because, bottom line, if they like my product they will buy it and not complain.
If they complain then I need to figure out why.

As I said, I know nothing about your product and I don't think I have ever commented about it here or elsewhere.

But I am a business man and I know that no matter what my customers say or do, it is in my best interests to listen and learn.
If my product isn't selling or is getting a lot of negative comment it's up to me to do something about it.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it is how I operate my business and it works for me.

I offer that not as criticism or as negative comment but as something to consider and if you think it doesn't make sense to you it won't hurt my feelings at all if you ignore what I say.

But I'll admit it would make me very happy if you would find something worth considering in my comment and then use that to increase your films popularity.

To me, that is support.
My bad keg. Made the mistake of logging into AO before my morning coffee, after waking up on the wrong side of the bed, while having my kids pee in my cheerios :P

Apologies. Re-read, and yep I took it incorrectly. Cheers to you sir. Ill own it.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 AM

Boneyard is Ok, cheese ok, but good local guys on mostly crown land hunts.
I turn off shows where seemingly private land hunts are happening.
Crown land hunts bring it more into reality if anyone can hunt there.
More enjoyable to watch for me and I respect the hunters more.
Can you always tell what's crown or private ? no but it can be obvious at times.
Any what's with that goofy ploy by Kohler to try and get other peoples hunting footage ?
Submit you videos, you need passion and you gotta close the deal ?
So they only value the kill on these submitted hunting videos ?
WildTV must be running short of content.

I'll keep an eye out for your vids Wildside.

TBark
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM

Can you post a link to your youtube channel; it's proving hard to find
Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Can you post a link to your youtube channel; it's proving hard to find
This ^
Old 02-28-2017, 04:28 PM

There is twenty you tube chanels called the wildside. If you want to be original you might need to start with the name.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:49 PM

On your own adventures/fresh tracks is about the only thing I will watch.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 PM

No offence, but if you choose to make a show it is up to you. Reguardless of what it costs you it doesn't mean squat to the customer. IMHO telling the customer that they need to support your show is - well week. The cost to you is - to you as you choose this. You put it as this is why we need support, but it should be this is why I want support. In every business there are costs. a business is what it sounds like your trying to build. Just my opinion and good luck to you.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
My bad keg. Made the mistake of logging into AO before my morning coffee, after waking up on the wrong side of the bed, while having my kids pee in my cheerios :P

Apologies. Re-read, and yep I took it incorrectly. Cheers to you sir. Ill own it.
No biggy, we all have those days.

It is good to hear your side of what the costs are, for me it gives me a greater appreciation of the shows I do watch.

I don't know what you can do about the complaints, videos and films are not my field of expertise.
I know the value of advertising and I know they pay for the air time but I don't expect you would have much if any say in how many run even in the time slot your shows run in.

I think that criticism may be unfair if directed at your shows.

As for the other complaints, I don't know enough about your shows to know if they have any foundation or not.

I do know that customer satisfaction can be hard to achieve. And I do believe it is something any businessman must take very seriously.

I wish you the best. Don't give up on your dream, learn, adapt and keep on keeping on.

One last thing, I may be able to offer you some material help. Do you use trail cameras in the production of your shows?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 PM

We're inundated with people 'chasing their dreams' and looking for other people to finance it. Athletes, marathoners, olympic hopefuls, people walking, bicycling, unicycling across the country - all looking for sponsors. Sometimes it's for a good cause, but often it's simply because these individuals simply want to challenge themselves and chase their dream, and have 'fun'.

Sorry - give me a product or a service that I value, and I'll support you. Not simply because it's local, or something I also enjoy doing.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
MY WHOLE POINT.....we need to support guys like myself. I do it for no other reason than to share my own experiences in the field. I do it for fun. Us film guys are in fact part of the same community of outdoorsman as every guy that comes on here and blasts verbal poop. I'm flabbergasted there isn't more support for local video products that manage to go mainstream.

I'm going to encourage questions here. Ask away. Lets make this an open discussion.

Jeff
The WildSide
If you do it for fun why are you so concerned about us supporting your endeavours? Why not just do it because you enjoy it and leave it at that? You make it sound like people owe you something because you sink a few grand into your hunting trips. I have never watched your show and the attitude you've had throughout this thread sure isn't selling it to me
Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
On your own adventures/fresh tracks is about the only thing I will watch.

X2, Randy Newberg has by far the best hunting show on TV/YouTube. 100% public land and never a guide, just a lot of hard work and perseverance.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 AM

Greats show like outdoor quest???? Now I know he's off his rocker, one of the worst shows on wild tv, maybe one good episode a year and then 15 fillers that are un-watchable .
Old 03-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Banned

I enjoy the quality of shows on WildTV...this helped explain why there isn't more shows, or new episodes vs the reruns etc.

As a waterfowl/upland bird hunter mainly, I do get discouraged with the lack of content for that and am often on Youtube to get tips/tricks and ideas.

Thank you for taking this on and providing quality shows to watch, as I have watched your show in the past and really enjoyed it!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 AM

I find this pretty interesting. In a direct market audience, Many here state they have no interest in watching the content based on the platform. Pretty incriminating to the industry in my opinion.

Also wildside, If I cant find your youtube videos based on a direct search of your name and knowing what to look for there is very little chance others are going to find it.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Also wildside, If I cant find your youtube videos based on a direct search of your name and knowing what to look for there is very little chance others are going to find it.
I completely agree
Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
If you do it for fun why are you so concerned about us supporting your endeavours? Why not just do it because you enjoy it and leave it at that? You make it sound like people owe you something because you sink a few grand into your hunting trips. I have never watched your show and the attitude you've had throughout this thread sure isn't selling it to me
what attitude?

I wasn't saying anywhere in this thread to support me in particular other than a generalized statement that iwas surprised that 'locals' don't get more of a push. I was simply laying out reasoning as to why things are done a certain way.

And that's fine if I'm not 'selling' my product to you personally. Not everyones going to like it. Nature of the beast, but I still don't know what attitude youre referring to? Have you ever reflected, and thought, much like a text message that maybe youre simply reading into my post incorrectly? Just a thought

Last edited by wildside2014; 03-01-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
I find this pretty interesting. In a direct market audience, Many here state they have no interest in watching the content based on the platform. Pretty incriminating to the industry in my opinion.

Again, we are on there, but our SEO platform hasn't been initiated yet. We have more or less only done a 'soft launch'. That's intentional guys.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I completely agree
Sorry kyle, ive been tied up for a couple days

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsM...HydiMInr5Rd-NQ
Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
No biggy, we all have those days.

It is good to hear your side of what the costs are, for me it gives me a greater appreciation of the shows I do watch.

I don't know what you can do about the complaints, videos and films are not my field of expertise.
I know the value of advertising and I know they pay for the air time but I don't expect you would have much if any say in how many run even in the time slot your shows run in.

I think that criticism may be unfair if directed at your shows.

As for the other complaints, I don't know enough about your shows to know if they have any foundation or not.

I do know that customer satisfaction can be hard to achieve. And I do believe it is something any businessman must take very seriously.

I wish you the best. Don't give up on your dream, learn, adapt and keep on keeping on.

One last thing, I may be able to offer you some material help. Do you use trail cameras in the production of your shows?
Good to know Keg! Id still like to get your self made product on camera btw.....going back to convo we had a while ago.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
Greats show like outdoor quest???? Now I know he's off his rocker, one of the worst shows on wild tv, maybe one good episode a year and then 15 fillers that are un-watchable .
But again, its Nickelback syndrome. Just because you personally think its garbage really in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean much, considering he has a pretty loyal viewer base. Again, longest running show on Canadian outdoors television. He knows his niche and I respect that. Just like the Boneyard knows their niche. Just like The fever knows theirs, heck just like Duck Dynasty knows their niche in the market place. A lot of guys think duck dynasty is garbage but they have MILLIONS of die hards.