Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Default The PAL application process (rant warning)

Yesterday I received a letter from the RCMP. It was the Chief Firearms Officer, asking me to "declare the purpose of ownership", of my restricted firearms: collection or target shooting.

If you choose target shooting you need to provide proof of club membership. For a collector there is another application form.

Mind you, I own one (1) restricted firearm. I'm not sure what the definition of a collection is, but the Online Dictionary says: "A group of objects or works to be seen, studied, or kept together. A "group"... so not one (1) object.

So Target Shooting it is (which is why I have it, to shoot it at the range). Of course I already provided a copy of the range membership card with my application, but I guess the guys in the East don't use that information.

The CFO will *****s whether "the restricted firearms [...] are being used for the purpose declared at the time of aquisition of those firearms". Nobody asked me to declare purpose at time of acquisition. The dealer wouldn't ship the darn thing without a copy of the club membership (which I guess he used to get a transport permit in the first place). And just how is the CFO going to do figure out how the firearm is being used?

What bugs me most is that the letter states, right under my application number: Due Date: October xx, 2009. My PAL expires early September!

Yikes! Maybe all those monster rams I have pinned down can breathe easily till the last two weeks of the season!

Rant mode off: life with firearms is still a whole lot easier than it was back in the old country, but it is sure beginning to show some awkward similarities.

Frans